Pure Player - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2013, 09:16 AM   #431
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietjers View Post
In at least 90% of the cases (from my experience) it’s quite clear what sounds better.
There are many reports on internet ( e.g. Jplay mini 5.1 vs. JRiver 18 with Jplay 5.1 - Page 2 , there are many others) where the blind test results contrast with the original confidence.

Do whatever you want to, just do not bash blind testing if you just do not want to use it.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:17 AM   #432
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietjers View Post
So called “blindests” are absolute nonsense! I develop and build all my audio gear (amplifiers, DAC, Music Server ect.) completely on the basis of listening tests. From scratch to end result, I do hundreds of small listening tests to decide what is optimal. Take a good design (or perhaps design it yourself) and see where it can bring you. For me that whole process is big fun and is what I like most of High End Audio.

Peter.
I do the same for all my DIY audio gear (DAC, pre, amp etc), part by part, wire by wire. Voicing is a very difficult, combinational,self-developed procedure...

By the way, the past few days i am trying audiophile linux (AudioPhile Linux | Audio Perfection on Linux). I am afraid that when combined with Deadbeef and Jack (Playing audio | AudioPhile Linux) it sounds better than any Windows player...

You can easily try it by creating a live cd or usb.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:53 AM   #433
diyAudio Member

I installed windows 8, mac os 10.6, and the above mentioned linux (audiophile dist + jack + deadbeaf) on the same computer and tested some of the available bit perfect audio softwares. The results of my test are:

1. Pureplayer (win)
2. Amarra (mac)
3. Pure Music (mac)
4. Audirvana (mac)
5. Jplay (win)
6. Deadbeaf (lin)
6. Jie extreme player (win)

I am using an m2tech hiface converter and drivers may have influenced the test on linux.
Pureplayer I enjoyed the most and not by a small margin. I can't wait to start the next tune. It is great, thanks for your effort. I also made a small change to the source to be able to play high resolution files.

Pureplayer hi rez fix:
https://bitbucket.org/cristianr/pureplayer/downloads

Source:
https://bitbucket.org/cristianr/pureplayer/src

Last edited by cristianr; 31st May 2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:56 AM   #434
diyAudio Member

Interesting stuff npetralias! I have seen this site before but never gave it a good read. Al that computer related stuff makes me dizzy now and then…..

At this moment I am using a Hifidelio music server (also Linux) with an external Buffalo 3 DAC. I have tweaked the Hifidelio to some point now and have some ideas to make it better still. But I also consider building a dedicated PC based music server. It’s hard to decide where to start with the best possible sound quality in mind. But Audiophile Linux sure looks interesting!

Peter
Old 31st May 2013, 10:56 AM   #435
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Jack is used for audio creation (DAW), it is a framework for low/zero latency linking and synchronization of various audio applications. As a result it runs at a single samplerate, your music will be resampled (or refused to play, depending on the playback application).

Just configure deadbeef to use alsa output directly (plughw:YOUR_CARD_NAME), jack just adds unnecessary complexity.
Old 1st June 2013, 09:37 PM   #436
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristianr View Post
I installed windows 8, mac os 10.6, and the above mentioned linux (audiophile dist + jack + deadbeaf) on the same computer and tested some of the available bit perfect audio softwares. The results of my test are:

1. Pureplayer (win)
2. Amarra (mac)
3. Pure Music (mac)
4. Audirvana (mac)
5. Jplay (win)
6. Deadbeaf (lin)
6. Jie extreme player (win)

I am using an m2tech hiface converter and drivers may have influenced the test on linux.
Pureplayer I enjoyed the most and not by a small margin. I can't wait to start the next tune. It is great, thanks for your effort. I also made a small change to the source to be able to play high resolution files.

Pureplayer hi rez fix:
https://bitbucket.org/cristianr/pureplayer/downloads

Source:
https://bitbucket.org/cristianr/pureplayer/src
Fantastic!
With m2tech/m2techII i totally agree, but when using a better (IMHO) interface like CM6631, linux sounds better (never tried MAC).

You just modified the c code (flacplay and flacplay_wasapi), correct?
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:28 AM   #437
diyAudio Member

Only the c code for flacplay_wasapi as this was the only one with the issue. What converter is using CM6631? I tested the hiface 1 (modified to battery power) against more expensive converters and I like it more, there is something magic about it. Of course, this is just my opinion and when I compare I may have different priorities than others. I do not care much about the instruments resolution or dynamics but more about my behavior during and after the song (if I feel the need to turn volume down or up during the play, how involved I feel or the urge to play another song or close it )
Old 2nd June 2013, 01:37 PM   #438
diyAudio Member

Yes i was also using a modified m2tech many years now, until i tried this

New CM6631 USB to Coaxial Optical SPDIF I2S Convertor for DAC w PSU Transfor | eBay

There are cheaper versions on ebay but this is the best. PSU and buffer included. I2S output too. Just get rid of the SPDIF output transformer and enjoy...
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:09 AM   #439
diyAudio Member

@christianr: I have included your changes (binaries and source) in my current distribution.

http://www.purediy.gr/downloads/pp.html
Old 7th June 2013, 12:42 AM   #440
Bernie7 is offline Bernie7  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npetralias View Post
Yes i was also using a modified m2tech many years now, until i tried this

New CM6631 USB to Coaxial Optical SPDIF I2S Convertor for DAC w PSU Transfor | eBay

There are cheaper versions on ebay but this is the best. PSU and buffer included. I2S output too. Just get rid of the SPDIF output transformer and enjoy...
Did that ebay converter come with CM6631A chip? Sometimes they update to the latest components.

Hide this!Advertise here!