Pure Player

@christianr: I have included your changes (binaries and source) in my current distribution.

http://www.purediy.gr/downloads/pp.html

this player doesn't seem to use replaygain tags? i have re-encoded my entire library for EBU128R and the player doesn't seem to use those tags at all.
I use foobar 2000 normally with WASAPI (the wasapi 3 driver with 32bit output push event management to a high-definition audio interface) and no DSP processing.

i like EBU128R because it normalizes the sound very well across all albums and i don't get stuck in the loudness wars. i use both per-track and per-album normalization (i use per-track when randomizing play/playlists across albums and per-album when playing an entire album).

i apply pre-amp as well for volume control.

on android i use neutron music player for very much the same reasons.

the pureplayer seems to play at a very good resolution in the small test i just did on my computer so i am interested in looking further at it. Any thoughts on including processing of replaygain tags?

btw (and i mention this since pureplayer seems to be using sox already). there is a sox philosophy based R128 with what to me looks like a really interesting peak normalization method which i've begun poking around at. It would be really cool if you could normalize entire playlists using on-the fly processing or pre-processing (the tool should support both).
R128GAIN: An EBU R128 compliant loudness scanner - Hydrogenaudio Forums

i'm largely using flac and a bit of legacy mp3 (320 VBR LAME encoded).

Cool stuff btw!

-par

Last edited:
this player doesn't seem to use replaygain tags? i have re-encoded my entire library for EBU128R and the player doesn't seem to use those tags at all.
I use foobar 2000 normally with WASAPI (the wasapi 3 driver with 32bit output push event management to a high-definition audio interface) and no DSP processing.

i like EBU128R because it normalizes the sound very well across all albums and i don't get stuck in the loudness wars. i use both per-track and per-album normalization (i use per-track when randomizing play/playlists across albums and per-album when playing an entire album).

i apply pre-amp as well for volume control.

on android i use neutron music player for very much the same reasons.

the pureplayer seems to play at a very good resolution in the small test i just did on my computer so i am interested in looking further at it. Any thoughts on including processing of replaygain tags?

btw (and i mention this since pureplayer seems to be using sox already). there is a sox philosophy based R128 with what to me looks like a really interesting peak normalization method which i've begun poking around at. It would be really cool if you could normalize entire playlists using on-the fly processing or pre-processing (the tool should support both).
R128GAIN: An EBU R128 compliant loudness scanner - Hydrogenaudio Forums

i'm largely using flac and a bit of legacy mp3 (320 VBR LAME encoded).

Cool stuff btw!

-par

Volume tags can be processed only by players that include a separate volume control. PurePlayer does not have that functionality. The only way would be for you re-encode the files normalized without any tags. Thanks!

Volume tags can be processed only by players that include a separate volume control. PurePlayer does not have that functionality. The only way would be for you re-encode the files normalized without any tags. Thanks!

i tend to disagree with that position. the idea behind EBU128R is to increase dynamic range and normalize programming content so that the audio consumer doesn't have to adjust the volume for each programs content.

the standard suggests that content providers are free to choose if they normalize at the source with the content recorded at the standardized -23LUFS or that the programming provides metadata about what adjustments is required to hit -23LUFS. much content seems to be focused on using tags in the source that indicates required adjustments that decoders have to use to normalize the content. It could be tricky to apply this if you dont have a method for analyzing tags prior to decoding the content, but i suggest that this doesnt mean its impossible, the libraries to do the decoding i'm sure have a method to transform it.

This is the default behavior of media encoders such as media monkey, f2k etc) and while many of them have volume control i dont think its unreasonable to implement it at the decoder level en if no volume control resides there.

i think its perfectly reasonable that normalization techniques which enhance the audio experience should be implemented according to standards. In the EBU128R case the standard clearly suggest that you can normalize at the source (content itself) or add metadata to the content and normalize at the content decoding side. The decoders (players) i've used all chose to implement metadata processing as the standard recommends (for file based playback GAIN tags seems to be the path to go).

Some more reading is here: http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/trev_2010-Q3_loudness_Camerer.pdf

anyway, my few cents. its your project and while i try to offer a perspective its still your decision. for the audiophile EBU128R without re-encoding content should be an important decision -especially when using lossy formats.

Last edited:
Hi,
This is my first post at this forum.
The quality of Pureplayer made me post a thanks to the creator and hope he continues his work.
IMHO Jriver, Foobar2000, Jplay are no match to the sound that Pure player produces. Linux MPD is very close in music terms, but still far from Win 7 x64 comfort of use.
Thanks again Mr. npetralias

Win 7 x64, Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac, Aikido headphone amp (6N6P tube), AKG 701

The first one (3 months ago) came with CM6631 and the next with 6631A.
I prefer the old one for Windows because C-Media driver disables Windows volume and the sound is a bit better.

I am now using the CM6631 connected to my PC via the CM6631 driver. What version of driver should I use in order to use the Wasapi feature in PurePlayer(PP)(I am still using the Wasapi feature on PP swithed off. BTW what version of PP should I use?

I am now using the CM6631 connected to my PC via the CM6631 driver. What version of driver should I use in order to use the Wasapi feature in PurePlayer(PP)(I am still using the Wasapi feature on PP swithed off. BTW what version of PP should I use?

Hello,

Is Windows volume control enabled or "locked" when using cm6631?
Please use the last version available here http://www.purediy.gr/downloads/pp.html