Pure Player

I do not know what kind of magic you did with the code.
I do know that it sounds better than any software player, I tried so far. I tried it many many times, just to be sure that it wasn't my idea. And it isn't. Its a fact, although I cannot explain it.

Thank you very much for this.

Regards

I am afraid that unless you listen in a blind scenario, not knowing what player is currently playing, it will always be your idea, no matter how hard you try.

I cannot disagree. I will rephrase then: I have the impression that, after long listening sessions with some players and pureplayer, there is an audible difference in favour of the last, although the UI is not so "easy" as others (i'm not complaining though, since its free).

By the way, has anyone tried to perform a blind test? It would be interesting to know the results...

I cannot disagree. I will rephrase then: I have the impression that, after long listening sessions with some players and pureplayer, there is an audible difference in favour of the last, although the UI is not so "easy" as others (i'm not complaining though, since its free).

By the way, has anyone tried to perform a blind test? It would be interesting to know the results...

I agree with term difference. Subjectively in favour of Pure Player.

Didiet

I am afraid that unless you listen in a blind scenario, not knowing what player is currently playing, it will always be your idea, no matter how hard you try.

So called “blindests” are absolute nonsense! I develop and build all my audio gear (amplifiers, DAC, Music Server ect.) completely on the basis of listening tests. From scratch to end result, I do hundreds of small listening tests to decide what is optimal. Take a good design (or perhaps design it yourself) and see where it can bring you. For me that whole process is big fun and is what I like most of High End Audio.

If you are not able to hear differences and can not decide if A is better than B, then High End Audio is simply not for you.

For fun I installed Pureplayer at my work on a standard XP PC. Via an old Akai amplifier and a pair of at least 40 year old loudspeakers found at the flea market I could hear that Pureplayer is a lot better sounding than WMP straight away.

Peter.

So called “blindests” are absolute nonsense! I develop and build all my audio gear (amplifiers, DAC, Music Server ect.) completely on the basis of listening tests. From scratch to end result, I do hundreds of small listening tests to decide what is optimal. Take a good design (or perhaps design it yourself) and see where it can bring you. For me that whole process is big fun and is what I like most of High End Audio.

If you are not able to hear differences and can not decide if A is better than B, then High End Audio is simply not for you.

For fun I installed Pureplayer at my work on a standard XP PC. Via an old Akai amplifier and a pair of at least 40 year old loudspeakers found at the flea market I could hear that Pureplayer is a lot better sounding than WMP straight away.

Peter.

I will not delve into this discussion with you. The effect of mind influencing your hearing impression has been proven scientifically many times. There is no way you can avoid the effect, unless the information about current case (A/B) is not available to your brain (i.e. "blind").

I agree that one often has an expectation before starting the actual AB test. So that could influence what you prefer in the end. But also listening tests have (very) often proved the opposite of what I expected or hoped for! So when you make an AB comparison always stay as open minded as possible and don’t care about whatever the final conclusion might be. In at least 90% of the cases (from my experience) it’s quite clear what sounds better. Especially when you go a few times back and forth, at some point you will hear the differences straight away. You could use blind tests when you are not sure about what sounds best, but in those cases, when differences are so small, use what suits you best.

Peter

Peter.

I do the same for all my DIY audio gear (DAC, pre, amp etc), part by part, wire by wire. Voicing is a very difficult, combinational,self-developed procedure...

By the way, the past few days i am trying audiophile linux (AudioPhile Linux | Audio Perfection on Linux). I am afraid that when combined with Deadbeef and Jack (Playing audio | AudioPhile Linux) it sounds better than any Windows player...

You can easily try it by creating a live cd or usb.

I installed windows 8, mac os 10.6, and the above mentioned linux (audiophile dist + jack + deadbeaf) on the same computer and tested some of the available bit perfect audio softwares. The results of my test are:

1. Pureplayer (win)
2. Amarra (mac)
3. Pure Music (mac)
4. Audirvana (mac)
5. Jplay (win)
6. Deadbeaf (lin)
6. Jie extreme player (win)

I am using an m2tech hiface converter and drivers may have influenced the test on linux.
Pureplayer I enjoyed the most and not by a small margin. I can't wait to start the next tune. It is great, thanks for your effort. I also made a small change to the source to be able to play high resolution files.

Pureplayer hi rez fix:
https://bitbucket.org/cristianr/pureplayer/downloads

Source:
https://bitbucket.org/cristianr/pureplayer/src

Last edited:
Interesting stuff npetralias! I have seen this site before but never gave it a good read. Al that computer related stuff makes me dizzy now and then…..

At this moment I am using a Hifidelio music server (also Linux) with an external Buffalo 3 DAC. I have tweaked the Hifidelio to some point now and have some ideas to make it better still. But I also consider building a dedicated PC based music server. It’s hard to decide where to start with the best possible sound quality in mind. But Audiophile Linux sure looks interesting!

Peter

Jack is used for audio creation (DAW), it is a framework for low/zero latency linking and synchronization of various audio applications. As a result it runs at a single samplerate, your music will be resampled (or refused to play, depending on the playback application).

Just configure deadbeef to use alsa output directly (plughw:YOUR_CARD_NAME), jack just adds unnecessary complexity.

I installed windows 8, mac os 10.6, and the above mentioned linux (audiophile dist + jack + deadbeaf) on the same computer and tested some of the available bit perfect audio softwares. The results of my test are:

1. Pureplayer (win)
2. Amarra (mac)
3. Pure Music (mac)
4. Audirvana (mac)
5. Jplay (win)
6. Deadbeaf (lin)
6. Jie extreme player (win)

I am using an m2tech hiface converter and drivers may have influenced the test on linux.
Pureplayer I enjoyed the most and not by a small margin. I can't wait to start the next tune. It is great, thanks for your effort. I also made a small change to the source to be able to play high resolution files.

Pureplayer hi rez fix:
https://bitbucket.org/cristianr/pureplayer/downloads

Source:
https://bitbucket.org/cristianr/pureplayer/src

Fantastic!
With m2tech/m2techII i totally agree, but when using a better (IMHO) interface like CM6631, linux sounds better (never tried MAC).

You just modified the c code (flacplay and flacplay_wasapi), correct?

Only the c code for flacplay_wasapi as this was the only one with the issue. What converter is using CM6631? I tested the hiface 1 (modified to battery power) against more expensive converters and I like it more, there is something magic about it. Of course, this is just my opinion and when I compare I may have different priorities than others. I do not care much about the instruments resolution or dynamics but more about my behavior during and after the song (if I feel the need to turn volume down or up during the play, how involved I feel or the urge to play another song or close it :) )