Pure Player - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2011, 10:48 AM   #121
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

There have been many threads about this but it would be good to hear from npetralis as to what he is addressing in his software that improves the sound i.e is it can't be background processes being closed down, can it?
Old 15th April 2011, 11:17 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

JK,
Good focus
(are you the chap that reviewed the NAKSA early on?)
Old 15th April 2011, 12:24 PM   #123
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto88 View Post
JK,
Good focus
(are you the chap that reviewed the NAKSA early on?)
Yep, that's me - excellent amplifier, a really captivating sound that gets your foot tapping.
Old 15th April 2011, 01:39 PM   #124
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1 View Post
I think system resources and processor loading may come into play here and affect system generated noise - assuming it cascades back into the audio band and the resulting effect is audible.
Well, that is certainly the case. But I wonder how you can control that on a consistent basis from a single playback application on a complex desktop system running dozens of other processes and kernel threads, many of them even outside of reach of the user the player runs under.

Honestly, I have never seen any credible explanation by authors of closed-source players claiming their product is sonically superior to other bit-perfect players.
Old 15th April 2011, 02:04 PM   #125
Tolu is offline Tolu  Germany
diyAudio Member

@npetralis

Sorry, when I missed it.

What kind of codec are you using for flac decoding and playing?

Does your player provide gapless playback?

I wrote a player with ASIO support and gapless playback and I am interested how others will do that.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th April 2011, 03:57 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
There have been many threads about this but it would be good to hear from npetralis as to what he is addressing in his software that improves the sound i.e is it can't be background processes being closed down, can it?
In my opinion, there are 4 factors that may improve the sound during playback.
1) Media. Sound varies if the source id a normal hard disk, SSD disk , a USD stick, Cd-Rom etc. The best source is Memory, especially when paging to disk is disabled.
2)Track format. The best sounding format is wav. You may decompress a flac and compare the 2 files using Foobar, the difference is obvious.
3)Other processes-CPU utilization. It's hard to control other processes, so one solution is to run your player in High process priority.
4)Chunk size and latency when "talking" to Windows wave out. This is real alchemy-Voodoo, so trial-audition-error seems to be the only way...

A good non-switching power supply when possible helps too
Old 17th April 2011, 04:02 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolu View Post
@npetralis

Sorry, when I missed it.

What kind of codec are you using for flac decoding and playing?

Does your player provide gapless playback?
Flac decoding and playback engine is written in C, using the "official" libflac.
What do you mean by gapless? The player buffers the whole file and then plays it. You can check the readme file for more information (or click the red pepper).
Old 17th April 2011, 06:23 AM   #128
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npetralias View Post
Flac decoding and playback engine is written in C, using the "official" libflac.
What do you mean by gapless? The player buffers the whole file and then plays it. You can check the readme file for more information (or click the red pepper).
Just a wild guess, but I think he may be referring to back to back file playback and loading times creating gaps.
Old 17th April 2011, 06:24 AM   #129
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npetralias View Post
In my opinion, there are 4 factors that may improve the sound during playback.
1) Media. Sound varies if the source id a normal hard disk, SSD disk , a USD stick, Cd-Rom etc. The best source is Memory, especially when paging to disk is disabled.
2)Track format. The best sounding format is wav. You may decompress a flac and compare the 2 files using Foobar, the difference is obvious.
3)Other processes-CPU utilization. It's hard to control other processes, so one solution is to run your player in High process priority.
4)Chunk size and latency when "talking" to Windows wave out. This is real alchemy-Voodoo, so trial-audition-error seems to be the only way...
Sounds like a credible explanation for the percieved difference between players to me.
Old 17th April 2011, 07:31 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

Hi npetralias

i searched but didn't see it: can it easily play in RAM (or SSD etc)?

Last edited by otto88; 17th April 2011 at 07:44 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!