Gigawork DAC vs Asus xonar essence stx - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2011, 08:51 AM   #1
robump is offline robump  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Gigawork DAC vs Asus xonar essence stx

Hi

I am looking to upgrade the sound output for my pc, currently i am just using the standard motherboard sound output but would like a dac/soundcard to improve the quality of the FLAC music i play. I have identical itunes libarys on my mac and windows 7 machine so was thinking that i could use the DAC on both via usb.

Please could you give your opinions on either a gigawork DAC or the ASUS xonar essence STX sound card. I have read a lot on here about the gigaworks dac and it seems to get a good rep. The one i was looking at is THIS ONE on ebay.

Thanks for your help.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:57 AM   #2
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mods

If you can diy the direct out mod, the sound of the Gigaworks Big Dac Board can be world class although I haven't tried the usb yet. They can be unreliable though so again, some diy may be needed to get the source selector working. Ask here.
Experience with this DIY DAC ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robump View Post
Hi

I am looking to upgrade the sound output for my pc, currently i am just using the standard motherboard sound output but would like a dac/soundcard to improve the quality of the FLAC music i play. I have identical itunes libarys on my mac and windows 7 machine so was thinking that i could use the DAC on both via usb.

Please could you give your opinions on either a gigawork DAC or the ASUS xonar essence STX sound card. I have read a lot on here about the gigaworks dac and it seems to get a good rep. The one i was looking at is THIS ONE on ebay.

Thanks for your help.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:50 PM   #3
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought the Gigawork "BIG" DAC with the intention of using the USB, but found out it couldn't pass higher than 48k. So, I also got the Musiland 01 USD (coax out) for USB interface - which goes to 192k (if that matters to you).

I gotta say, the Gigawork + Musiland sounds real good to me (even in its stock form). Now, this is my first DAC and I have nothing else to compare it to. The upsampling on the Gigawork is an added bonus.
Old 24th January 2011, 01:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

So would the gigawork i linked to earlier work straight out the box?

Im really tempted.
Old 24th January 2011, 02:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes. Wire up the primaries and secondaries on the transformer and you're good to go. Set the input jumpers (coax, toslink, USB) per the instructions on the 3" CD - or, on this forum.

I have mine setup on a piece plywood right now A case to follow shortly.

You might want to confirm this, but I think there was a problem with the 192k upsampling on the DIR-9001. Can someone confirm?
Old 24th January 2011, 06:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just noticed this on the gigaworks ebay site, have they just added some lt-1361's do you think this will make a noticeable difference?
Old 24th January 2011, 10:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I like my gigwork DAC but it is a bit tricky (ie PITA) to make a back panel to fit the jacks properly - something to keep in mind.
And, if you continue to use the 'bare' board without a case you have to be VERY careful plugging/unplugging as the jacks are not designed to be strong enough without fastening to a support.
There are a lot of units in the same price range (a bit more or less) which are worth considering:
ZeroDAC
Grant Audio
Maverick TubeMagic
All of these are ready-to-go in a case and have phone jacks as well.

All the USB units have some bitrate limitations AFAIK- whether you'll be able to hear the difference is hard to tell.

Those Xonar soundcards have very good specs as well.

John
Old 25th January 2011, 06:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just noticed this on the gigaworks ebay site, have they just added some lt-1361's do you think this will make a noticeable difference?
Has anyone had any experience with the one that is linked above, it appears to be a new version.
Old 25th January 2011, 06:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with the one that is linked above, it appears to be a new version.
It must have just been released. It wasn't there when I ordered mine a couple of months ago.

Why not be one of the first and order one

Can't give any recommendations on op amps, since I'm new to them as well.
Old 25th January 2011, 07:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

If i could afford one i would order one right away!!

Need to save some pennies first!! Also im not sure how well i would be able to review one once i had got it!

Sounds pretty interesting though.

I know this is a bit of a stupid question, but can you noticeably hear the difference when using a DAC?

Hide this!Advertise here!