Is anyone using DRC? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2011, 03:30 AM   #31
aps is offline aps  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Question on JRMC / Convolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
Audiolense and Acourate seem to be the pick of the bunch - but you still need Convolver and a player (I use directshow Convolver + zoomplayer for movies, and JRMC + vst Convolver for audio already).
Why do you not use JRMC for video? Also, I'm interested in your thinking on the decision between a single Windows PC for Media Player / Convolution vs separate Windows PC for Media Player & Linux PC for Convolution. The single PC model seems simpler but it doesn't seem possible to allow for other digital sources (e.g., DVD or CDP for family use).

APS
Old 30th August 2011, 06:19 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

A number of reasons:

1 - I've found that it's much easier to configure the directshow filters EXACTLY as I want them in Zoomplayer. I have a convoluted filter path, and I couldn't get them exactly how I want it in JRMC. I think it was something to do with Reclock...

2 - I've been running Zoomplayer for years, and am (sometimes) involved in the closed testing. Inertia - I use it because I use it. The quality can be equalled, but not bettered. It does the job.

3 - I like to keep things separate. I use WMP for casual listening (coz the wifey can use it), MPC-HC for casual PC style viewing (a la double click file and watch at desk).
But I use JRMC for serious music listening on the HT, with Convolver + DRC, setup for 2 channel playback. Controlled via Gimzo on my Android phone.
And Zoom Player for serious movie watching on the HT, again with Convolver + DRC, but configured for 7.1 channel playback. Controlled via a Pronto (works better in the dark, and you don't have to unlock it like the phone).

This allows me to have each player configured to do a single task well.

In the other room I use XBMC - for similar reasons, the family is used to it and it works.

Simple eh?

Hide this!Advertise here!