Ultimative PC-Based XO Version?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I read all these messages how to handle the PC as XO. But i am more confused....:confused:

I have the following setup:

Windows 7/64
JRiver Mediaplayer
Lynx L2 Audio Card

I would like to use an internal and Pc based XO Version for a 2 way or 3 way setup. What you guess is actually the best (and stable) solution for that. Does JRiver manage VST plugins? What are known problems to go this way? I would like to have the best (or at least a veeeery good) audioquality.:devily:

Would be very nice to get some answers. Thanks a lot!

Thanks JohnYks for the link....but i read every message there and this exactly what me made to be confused...

@Frode
It seems that you have "THE" solution. GREAT! Sounds really interesting. Can you explain in more details how it work (easy to use, ev. connection between Jriver and Juicy, latency, stable?,etc.) with your setup. What is your hifi-setup!

Thanks a lot

@Frode
It seems that you have "THE" solution. GREAT! Sounds really interesting. Can you explain in more details how it work (easy to use, ev. connection between Jriver and Juicy, latency, stable?,etc.) with your setup. What is your hifi-setup!

Thanks a lot

Except from the computer gear, I use Oris speakers(experimenting with BMS now), Consonance 2A3 amp for mid/top and a Virtue Tripath-based amp for bass. See picture below. I have a 26" screen and use JRiver's own remote control.

Audiolense has worked flawlessly from day one. I had a lot of trouble before I got playback working. This was due to a soundcard with bad drivers. With the Echo card it was a lot easier. The guy behind AL, use and recommends Lynx, so that should not be a problem for you. He also gives excellent support. I use a convolver VST-plugin in JRiver to implement the filters. Daily use of AL is very easy.

I think the latency is dependent on the length of the filters used, and this can be adjusted. But if only using JRiver to play music from a harddrive, I don't understand why latency should be a problem. I haven't experienced any issues with this.

I've used the current setup for almost a year now, and it has been rock solid. No problems with stability whatsoever. The computer is only used for this purpose.

Frode

P1010532.jpg

Amazing! Really very nice setup! And thanks a lot for your help. I will go with the juicy but first i need to change my speakers and my amplifier first (Onken 360L, Iwata). I wanted to be sure that there is a possibility to do the XO with a PC. Otherwise i would go an other way in my futur system. Thanks again!

BTW: Are you happy with the BMS? I am looking for a Radian 950! Should be as goog as the TAD 4001....almost at least:)

Souldriver:D

Which Model from BMS are you testing an what kind of horns are you using on the photo? They look huge! How deep can you go down with the basshorns (are they boxed?)?

I sent an email to this guy in Poland....i had some questions about the new......IWATA Horns. the same you ordered :D
Looks very interesting. i would like to know how it sounds... the prices are very competetive

Souldriver

Which Model from BMS are you testing an what kind of horns are you using on the photo? They look huge! How deep can you go down with the basshorns (are they boxed?)?

Souldriver

The driver is the 4592ND and the horn is the XR2064 from Eighteensound.

The bass is the Ultra Reference from BD-Design. It consists of a big bassreflex enclosure, the BD15 driver and a modified Oris 150 horn in front of it. Placed in the corners and combined with Audiolense, they play strong down towards 20Hz. A simulated response is shown below.

Frode

Simulated_corner.jpg

Wow, what horns!
I would go with miniDSPs rather than a software crossover on a PC. All you'd have to do is program them while hooked up to a pc and then unhook the USB from the pc and attach it to a cellular charger to provide power. I use them and they are truly marvelous sounding much better than the stand alone electronic crossover I tried for a bit in the '90s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.