USB DAC recommendation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2010, 03:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default USB DAC recommendation

As per title, I'm looking for a USB DAC for use with a netbook running Ubuntu. Could anyone recommend a device please? I was considering the Cambridge DacMagic at around 220, but would consider a kit-based or DIY DAC. An S/PDIF and/or optical interface would be useful (for another PC) although not essential.

Thanks in advance.

Currentflow
Old 8th November 2010, 04:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You did not mention bits + sample rate needs or the purpose for the unit, but check out the T.I. PCM2902. I am in the process of designing a board (dual channel line in/out). Unfortunately the PCM2902 is limited to 16 bits and 96kHz.
E
Old 8th November 2010, 04:08 PM   #3
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Lots of good feedback on twisted pear audio Buffalo II.
Old 8th November 2010, 05:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Best usb powered non diy one ive seen:

Amazon.com: HRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Converter: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more
Old 8th November 2010, 11:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I don't yet know what bit/sample rates I need although this appears to be limited with a USB interface. I am really looking for the best sound reproduction for around 200 or less.

Regards,
currentflow
Old 21st November 2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Francec is offline Francec  Australia
Banned

My suggestion is purely out of self-interest; AMB u1. I like the small size and seeming full features and would love someone to give one a test run.

Frank
Old 4th December 2010, 05:05 AM   #7
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francec View Post
My suggestion is purely out of self-interest; AMB u1. I like the small size and seeming full features and would love someone to give one a test run.

Frank
Well, if you mean the Gamma 1 (aka y1) , it works fine with Linux. I have a Gamma2, which uses the inputs of the Gamma 1 (s/pdif and USB) and it works great (Gamma 2 is a modular add-on to Gamma 1)
Old 4th December 2010, 02:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I recently picked up a Hlly DMK II Dac-Preamp on eBay for $294 shipping included. Has USB, Coax & Optical ins plus analog, does up to 96K/24 & a remote for source selection/volume/balance. This lets you handle a wide range of digital sources and vinyl with an outboard phono preamp. I'm very pleased with the sound & convenience of this compact unit.
Old 17th December 2010, 06:52 PM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Very happy with a cheap "Muse" brand Chinese e-bay unit. Clearly better than my high end Rotel. I do want to build a better power supply for it. Not USP powered though. Small enough you could build a battery pack. Cambright and PS are well received, but one would have to convince me they actually sound better, or if the bucks were better spent on cans or more music.
Old 17th December 2010, 07:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've run the NuForce uDAC on a laptop running Ubuntu from a USB memory stick. It recognized the DAC, and the media player played fine through it reading my FLAC files from another portable drive.

Hide this!Advertise here!