How to convert P.C. Soundcard into U.S.B. or other port - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2010, 07:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to convert P.C. Soundcard into U.S.B. or other port

Hello Everybody, I am in urgent need of help in converting P.C. Sound card into U.S.B. sound card as I want to use my Laptop for field recording .Proffesonaly available U.S.B. sound cards are out of my budget as they cost from Rs. 15,000/- to Rs.80,000/- whilst a P.c sound card with low latency costs around Rs.3,000/- only.I cannot connect my mixer output to laptop as it has only mic in and headphone out.Regards Vedmitra sharma from City Of Tajmahal if you wish you can email me on my id's that is vedmitrasharma9@rediffmail.com and vedmitraa@gmail.com.
Old 1st November 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no can do. the bus speed of PCI is far faster and requires different drivers, different power supply, different receivers. I think although it might be possible, you would spend a great deal of time and probably a reasonable amount of money doing it
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
no can do. the bus speed of PCI is far faster and requires different drivers, different power supply, different receivers. I think although it might be possible, you would spend a great deal of time and probably a reasonable amount of money doing it
Combine that with the fact that the PCI bus has orders of magnitude lower latency than the USB port, its just not going to be done.
Old 3rd November 2010, 03:36 AM   #4
Banned

It'll cost more than a Behringer UCA202. Or connect the mixer to mic in.

w
Old 3rd November 2010, 03:38 AM   #5
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure how to convert those figures to US Dollars, but there are some quite inexpensive USB sound interfaces around. Look for Behringer as one cheap brand name.

I presume you're comparing these to bottom-of-the-line PCI soundcards that have been around for well over over ten years and can be bought for under US $10. USB interfaces with stereo line in and line out should start in the $20 to $40 range. Here's a list of sound interfaces, sorted lowest price first - I have no idea if these companies will sell or ship internationally:

Sound Cards at Pricewatch - lowest prices, sales, price comparison

Worst case, put your mixer output into a resistive divider to reduce the level and go into your mic input. It's mono and probably not very hifi but it will work.

Hide this!Advertise here!