NAS - SqueezeBox Duet OR PC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default NAS - SqueezeBox Duet OR PC

Hello Everyone.

Found this form today and have found it to be really helpful and informative.

Have recently embarked on a mammoth CD ripping adventure using EAC. I don't have the biggest collection of CD's by any means but I have a fair few and thought it was about time I made them a bit more accessible.

Not sure about other people on here, but I have found it really fun going through CD after CD with EAC. Irrespective of how many CD's I have, I can get overly selective over time meaning I don't really listen to the full collection enough. Ripping them one by one has made me appreciate the ones I haven't heard for a long time and of course having them instantly selectable without sitting amongst a pile of CD cases is a huge benefit.

But anyway....

My plan beyond ripping them was to store them on a 2TB Netgear ReadyNas box and then get a Squeezebox Duet to select and send the music to my amp. Was going to get that this week but have other ideas now.

An alternative is to build a PC that can store and output the music to my amp whilst providing a screen for selection. I guess if I go down this route I can look at all kinds of input/selection devices and can use a spare monitor that I don't mind leaving on. I would also be able to choose the best soundcard.

So my thinking at present is
  1. NAS Box SqueezeBox Duet
  2. PC Unconfirmed Input Device Monitor Soundcard
I think the PC idea is appealing in part because I don't really want to chuck the music around the house. I listen in one room and don't need to be sending the music to the kitchen etc.

Any suggestions as to the best way to proceed are welcome
Old 17th October 2010, 08:33 PM   #2
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

PC+hiface is much better
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a very similar requirement as yours and was thinking of a ZOTAC MAG MAGHD-ND01-U Dual-Core All-in-One PC + Dell SX2210 Full HD 21.5 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor Details + Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu + About | XBMC. I'd be interested in hearing other options...
Old 30th October 2010, 03:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

For those considering SB plus NAS...also look at vortexbox

here's a post with more details...
Old 30th October 2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I use a PC because I find it cheaper and more flexible. Not hard to do. JRiver is my player of choice.
Old 15th August 2014, 08:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have my music on a synology NAS, and with DS audio I always have my collection anywhere I go.

At home I use a PC with Foobar2000 and spdif out and a 22" inch screen

I must admit that I'm looking at something more simpel like Beep.

https://www.thisisbeep.com/

The reason is that when you music is on a windows PC in the livingroom, it will be taken over by the kids, and it's kind of ugly with that big screen a mouse and keyboard (even if it's a very small keyboard.
Old 15th August 2014, 09:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

That Beep looks like a nice device, i just don't like having my phone streaming music, every email, message phone calls disrupts the music!

I'm switching my source over from a MacMini to an old MacBook, as it has a built in screen, it means I don't need iPhones and can use the little apple remote.

I consume quite a lot of movies and tv, so having the option to play Plex for 95% of viewing, but also iPlayer, Netflix etc is a bonus.

Apple Airport Express for about 60 refurbished provide an instantaneous whole house streaming network.

I like apples if you hadn't guessed.
Old 15th August 2014, 09:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

ps: used to use a ReadyNas Duo, with 2x1Tb drives back when that was pretty big, it was loud, incredibly slow and a pain to use. Ability to simply plug in standard hard drives and as many as you want means my files are backed up twice.
Old 15th August 2014, 10:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The beeb is the player, and the phone is just the remote, and Will not Be interupted. If I go that path, I will use a cheap android tablet not my phone
Old 18th August 2014, 09:46 PM   #10
kukynas is offline kukynas  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Kjeldsen: something similar what is already on the market

Node | Bluesound - HiFi for a wireless generation
Raumfeld Connector : Buy online at Teufel

both of them output 24/192 through toslink, both of them are ios or android remote controlled with upnp and dlna, both of them contain built in DAC with RCA output (wouldn't count with it for serious listening), I got raumfeld connected with Synology NAS (through router) and with optical cable in to my DAC, raumfeld has little buggy app. but getting regular updates so not big deal for me, I'm happy cuz important part for me is gapless playback of hi-res music and in this case raumfeld does great job for 180 EUR

Last edited by kukynas; 18th August 2014 at 09:49 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!