NAS - SqueezeBox Duet OR PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Correct but both are purpose built to do a specific task and happily hum away with minimal care and feeding 24/7/365. A general purpose PC is a different beast that is a fine tool to rip CDs to the NAS but has no place in my playback chain.

Streamed data, digital would you be able to tell any difference between a NAS and a PC dedicated to streaming the music?

Streamed data, digital would you be able to tell any difference between a NAS and a PC dedicated to streaming the music?

Of course not, but when a well conceived solution is available at a very reasonable price point that also provides for general shared file access and backup of other devices, why reinvent the wheel? My version of DIY focuses on areas where I can obtain a superior solution at a great price...if a commercial alternative works well I'll run with it.

BTW it is the SB Touch as playback interface that I'd never replace with a general purpose PC...the NAS as file server just strikes me as a no brainer.

So you are going direct from the NAS to the squeezebox, must look into that as I have at the moment a full PC doing that duty, a PC that would be better employed keeping the kids happy. The NAS I currently have is a NAF NAS, and since the PSU went bang I have a spare 2T drive that needs a new home.

Why would you want to build a system around an obsolete platform? Squeeze box hasn't been made for a couple of years now. I would look for a current solution that is PC based with a good UI, for example Jriver or foobar2000 or the pi solutions. Pi and atom can be left on all the time and and driven by a tablet or phone, apple or android. You can buy an atom tiny pc for a hundred dollars. They dont need any grunt to be a music player. Google this and look at the video tab, there are lots of video show casing these technologies.
Another thing to consider is that where this is all going is streaming from the web, subscription based music. Buying music is loosing popularity which is why apple bought beats, for their music streaming service. I need to figure out how I am going to do this going forward as I don't really want to manage data. NAS and backing up data is relatively expensive and can be time consuming.

Last edited:
Why would you want to build a system around an obsolete platform?

Because it is still the best one out there. Show me another system that handles big collections, high-res, multiroom (synced or not), and is open and flexible?

My current system has one big, central server (in a storage room), 2 Squeezebox touches, 2 squeezebox radios, one "classic" squeezebox, 4 Rio Receivers running squeezebox emulation, 1 linux desktop, one Mac and 2 raspberry pi's as players. I can synchronize any and all to the same music if I want to. What other system can do this?

Squeeze box hasn't been made for a couple of years now.

Does it matter? The software is still being developed, and there are several pre-packaged solutions for small linux boards and NAS units. As it is web-based, it can also be used from any device - of course there are a bunch of android and idevice apps too.

There is a I would look for a current solution that is PC based with a good UI, for example Jriver or foobar2000
A great solution if you only need one player, and you want the computer to be your user interface.

Pi and atom can be left on all the time and and driven by a tablet or phone, apple or android. You can buy an atom tiny pc for a hundred dollars. They dont need any grunt to be a music player.
All that applies to a squeezebox-based solution too, except that the squeezebox architecture allows you to mix and match hardware players and software-based players.

Another thing to consider is that where this is all going is streaming from the web, subscription based music.
Oh, and of course I stream spotify to all my players through the squeezebox server. Other people use other streaming services.

NAS and backing up data is relatively expensive and can be time consuming.
Not if you automate it properly...

Julf, your obviously heavily invested in the platform so it makes sense for you to continue down this path, for others that are not its not the best option IMO.
You can do anything on a pi that you can do with a squeeze box, and you can still get a pi.
I work in technology and understand and use automation (rsync), its still a pain to maintain. The cloud is better.

your obviously heavily invested in the platform so it makes sense for you to continue down this path, for others that are not its not the best option IMO.

What option would you recommend for someone who wants multi-room, hi-res and a large library?

You can do anything on a pi that you can do with a squeeze box, and you can still get a pi.

Indeed. A pi is a good building stone in a squeezebox system - it won't replace it.

I work in technology and understand and use automation (rsync), its still a pain to maintain. The cloud is better.

The cloud is a good solution if you are OK with somebody else being control of your data (and have a reliable internet connection).

What option would you recommend for someone who wants multi-room, hi-res and a large library?

Indeed. A pi is a good building stone in a squeezebox system - it won't replace it.

The cloud is a good solution if you are OK with somebody else being control of your data (and have a reliable internet connection).

Sonos, is the only one I can think of for multi room, but I haven't looked as Im not interested.
Control of my data is irrelevant, its music and photos. It is a trivial task to target someone for access to their data all you need is an email address of them or their family members and a day zero attachment, about 100 dollars on the market. As for intelligence agencies, they have a mirror of your iphone;)

Sonos, is the only one I can think of for multi room, but I haven't looked as Im not interested.

AFAIK the sonos doesn't support hi-res and has a limited library size.

Control of my data is irrelevant, its music and photos. It is a trivial task to target someone for access to their data all you need is an email address of them or their family members and a day zero attachment, about 100 dollars on the market. As for intelligence agencies, they have a mirror of your iphone;)

There is a reason I don't use iDevices :)

It is a shame that the intelligence agencies don't actually offer a backup and restore service... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.