NAS - SqueezeBox Duet OR PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Just fine" -- yep -- a pretty relative term. If "just fine" is that what
you enjoy. Fair enough.

Well, with galvanic isolation and reclocking the result is bit perfect. If you like your music artificially coloured that might not be good enough for you, but for most of us it is.

"Galvanic isolation" btw. belongs to the list of >1.000.000 tuning proposals.

That is not really tuning, and it is more a DAC issue than a PC issue. The "tuning" tricks are usually silly stuff such as closing off essential services, or, worse, some silly software optimization that has no effect.

My 2 cents.

If you want to run an x86 based system, I highly recommend Daphile. It is free and sounds fabulous. The author kipeta, a regular contributor on this forum, is very very helpful and communicates with you on any issues you may encounter. A real gentleman, if there ever was one.

Anyway, I run daphile on a HP Thin client, which consumes very little power, it being powered from a laptop adapter, into a usb to spdif converter and from there to my dac.

All music is stored on 2 TB hard disks on a pc in another room and streamed by logitech media server.

The beauty of the thin client solution is that they are fanless. The streaming from logitech media server, over my local network, removes all mechanical noise if compared to using a USB hard disk dock.

Thanks.

mllum

I believe we will see one in box projects soon :

TCP/IP-wifi+RJ45 for transport & wireless management
HDD for storage
PowerDac (more serious than the low powerfull of HIFImeDIY)
embeded DSP for streaming filtering like IIR & FIR for active crossing like
filtering output (XO & phase)
RAM/ROM input for freeware : Daphile for management library & server e.g. And filtering & active...

I call this a Computer-PowerDAC or a NAS-powerDac: but without big OS and with emebeded memories & buffers for sharetwares with embeded powerDAC because the needs of goodlayout for crystals & EMC:

I'm hurry to see this with a multi 50 watts power DAC for tri or quad active speaker systems... should reconcile tubes & SS & speakers lovers.

yep, lot of it is already on the market in many ways but none of it in simple way or with simple HW configuration with good output stage or digital out and with good music manager for reasonable money 200-500 bucks, look at olive one as an example, it supposed to be released into production last year and where we are :confused:

I think Julf wanted to say a NAS is a minimal server with semi-closed conf (shareware modules) , closed hardware conf but the HDD and an embeded OS in a ROM...

I think the Synologys are the best for enthusiasts as it's very versatil : look at all the sharewares given for free as the Squeezebox server e.g. (encapsuled for easy deployment I mean)!

I would like to see Slimdevices buy back Logitech to launch a SB-PowerDac with 2x3 outputs and IIR & FIIR and convivial+choosable data sharewares ! Or an Open hypex at the price of the Logitech....

Last edited:
it supposed to be just gentle nudge for that "P" part of the PC with smile at the end of my sentence ;) , I hope Julf got it :)

I did, and appreciated the irony - not only that, but it made me look up how Wikipedia defines a PC, and I have to say that the line "A personal computer (PC) is a general-purpose computer, whose size, capabilities and original sale price makes it useful for individuals, and is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator" did make me smile... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.