Sound card or DAC upgrade on tight budget

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Until you hook it up to an amp/preamp that has the inputs floating at 2.5 volts (most tripath class T amps, and others that are buffered with an opamp).

Meaning that in this case it could be better to protect the dac with some caps even if there is no dc offset to get rid off?

Sorry to bother with so many questions, I work in IT business and audio&electonics is a hobby to whom I have only recently payed more attention... there's much I don't understand.

Here's Amp9 form 41Hz I'm building:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

*Top view.
- Left signal inputs, mute input and status outputs
- Top left input capacitors, Tripath TAA4100A chip
- Center left output filter toroid inductors, above them, close-up power capacitors
- Lower edge: Speaker outputs
- Right center: bulk power supply capacitors
- Right: power connector.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

*Bottom view
- Left signal inputs, mute input and status outputs
- Bottom, Tripath TAA4100A chip with decoupling caps. Above them clamping diodes.
- Center top output filter capacitors
- Upper edge: Speaker outputs
- Right top: rectifier
- Right: power connector

So your amp is cap coupled. That means do what ever you want. Your safe. The caps protect your speakers, not your amp or dac. If there is dc offset, that means your speakers will be constantly sucked in or sucked out while the system is on.

Have fun winding the output coils of the amp, i know it took me over an hour.

PS: why are you building a 4 channel amp and 2 channel dac? You can only parallel that amp, you cant bridge it.

Last edited:
Winding the toroids was actually kinda fun... I did 1-2 at a time during meetings at my workplace. Older colleagues with electronics experience didn't miss the chance to make fun out of my winding skills... :D
Kinda relaxing, first one or two came out not too good but on latter ones progress could be seen... shame I didn't had enough wire to rewind them. Voltmeter didn't showed much difference between any of the coils though.

It's a four channel amp since it will also double as a HT setup. (Tuba THT sub is also in making. Will use separate sub amp for that, courtesy of Jack Hidley)

Asus Xonar Essence STX

I have the Xonar Essence and use it to listen to with my Sennheiser HD600s. It certainly is much better sounding than the onboard Realtek 889a. HD600s require a lot of power. Creative has had a monopoly and for that reason are not the best sounding nor suitable with power hungry 'phones according to others accounts and testing. Of course a separate headphone amp will probably provide plenty of power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.