Sound card or DAC upgrade on tight budget - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2010, 06:12 PM   #11
vann is offline vann  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

owenhamburg, optical would be great but I can't afford it now. dac with optical input and optical source is out of my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristleifur View Post
The Gamma-1 has about 0.0010% THD+N, 0.0040% IMD+N. The Gamma-2 has even lower IMD+N, about 0.0032%.
Yes, I was looking at AMB γ2 and γ1 but $150-250 or $100-150 respectively is out of my reach. Esp combined with cost of the optical source, which I don't have.

At least my options are somewhat more clear now. Considering my current budget, I might try modding my audigy 2 zs with better opamp and also try DIY grubdac... as the price of the kit is quite low, just $35 (and ~$10 for case and shipping)

kristleifur, I see you have done amp6 and also own Needle FR speakers... how does the combo of 41Hz amp and full range drivers sound?
(I've almost finished amp9 and I'm in final preparations to make G Chang enclosures with Fostex FE207E)
Old 7th October 2010, 07:32 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann View Post
Yes, I was looking at AMB γ2 and γ1 but $150-250 or $100-150 respectively is out of my reach. Esp combined with cost of the optical source, which I don't have.
Yeah, I can't afford them either - yet! ... Also, not that it really matters in this context, but I believe that both can take USB input as well as optical.

Quote:
kristleifur, I see you have done amp6 and also own Needle FR speakers... how does the combo of 41Hz amp and full range drivers sound?
(I've almost finished amp9 and I'm in final preparations to make G Chang enclosures with Fostex FE207E)
It sounds ... Very Good!! I also have BIB speakers with 3" Omnes Audio drivers, powered with 41Hz Amp11 ... the sound is just amazing.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:57 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Uh you can build a gamma 1 for under $100 if you just do usb and make the case yourself. Thats what i did. I then upgraded to a gamma 2 by gluing my gamma 1 back together. Soon i will make just a usb relay version of the gamma1 (only usb chip, no dac) to power the gamma2 so i can have one at work and one at home.

The grub dac might be worth looking into if you have even less money. Its basicaly a stripped gamma1. Its the same usb chip, but then it uses a different wolf dac then the gamm1, but both dac chips cost about the same, but the grub is a capless out so it may or maynot sound better.
Old 7th October 2010, 10:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
... it may or maynot sound better.
yes, that's what I was trying to find out without experimenting myself...

Though, with $35 per kit, I can't go too much wrong... If I decide so, I should be able to at least sell it for the price of the parts.
Old 7th October 2010, 10:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
yes, that's what I was trying to find out without experimenting myself...

Though, with $35 per kit, I can't go too much wrong... If I decide so, I should be able to at least sell it for the price of the parts.
If you tinker you can buffer the output using the same manor as the gamma 2. Then for like 50 bucks youd have a wolf dac with buffer.

The may or maynot sound better deal had to do with the caps in the audio line camps. The grub is capless, but on the other hand you should always have 1 cap between source and amp. So you can cap your dac or cap your amp.

i have both the grub and the gamma1 and cant tell the diff. They are very similar, its just the gamma1 is setup to be a all in one so its more expensive if you want all the features. I built the gamma2 and am still kicking myself for spending over 10 bucks for the 2 switches that change the rolloff and attenuation. ive never used them once.

Last edited by nightanole; 7th October 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 8th October 2010, 01:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The grub is capless, but on the other hand you should always have 1 cap between source and amp. So you can cap your dac or cap your amp.
You lost me there... I thought that dac was made so it does not require an output cap. Or are you talking about some principle? (that I don't know of)

Last edited by vann; 8th October 2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:03 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you tinker you can buffer the output using the same manor as the gamma 2. Then for like 50 bucks youd have a wolf dac with buffer.

The may or maynot sound better deal had to do with the caps in the audio line camps. The grub is capless, but on the other hand you should always have 1 cap between source and amp. So you can cap your dac or cap your amp.

i have both the grub and the gamma1 and cant tell the diff. They are very similar, its just the gamma1 is setup to be a all in one so its more expensive if you want all the features. I built the gamma2 and am still kicking myself for spending over 10 bucks for the 2 switches that change the rolloff and attenuation. ive never used them once.
Good info nightanole!

p.s. - what rolloff / attenuation settings did you end up favoring?
Old 8th October 2010, 11:05 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Same principle.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:45 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Arr... maybe I've got it now. You mean, that even if grub is capless, my amp is still having it's input caps in the line of the signal... thus questioning the capless claim of the grub philosophy?
Old 9th October 2010, 01:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Its always good to have the least amount of caps in the signal. However lets say you spent some good money (or just got a grub) so thats you have a symmetrical signal with no dc off set and no need of a cap (the only reason for a decoupling cap is to get rid of dc offset), perfect for everything right?
Until you hook it up to an amp/preamp that has the inputs floating at 2.5 volts (most tripath class T amps, and others that are buffered with an opamp).
This is why the amb and bantam dac have caps on the output, because their outputs float at 2.5v at idle.

Hide this!Advertise here!