Can Tablet PC (android) drive an USB DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As it so happens the Nexus 7 with Jellybean has the ability to act as a USB OTG host, but wont do this as standard. If you root the device and then install some software it over rides this and has it acting as a proper host. This means as standard, the device wont work with USB memory or card readers, it will however work with USB mice/keyboards though.

As to whether this means it will or will not function with some USB audio products is a good question, any that require special drivers wont work I'd assume and neither would a product that requires complete USB OTG support. There might be some devices that don't need full OTG support, although I don't know which ones they would be.

I do find it peculiar that google/ASUS have decided to leave the USB port non functional from most of its capabilities, even though the hardware supports it. Perhaps in the future this will change.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.