Can Tablet PC (android) drive an USB DAC? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Account disabled at member's request

Haha... yeah, I got that same reaction ! WTF eh ? I think my mouse can hit one of those buttons !

But they gotta be smart enough to change that UI for desktops right ? Hmmm......

I really hope it isn't the new Vista...
Old 28th March 2012, 04:24 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

The normal Windows succession is - good OS followed by crappy OS.
Win98 - WinMe; WinXP - Vista
Win 8 is destined to be crappy one
Old 28th March 2012, 05:30 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
The normal Windows succession is - good OS followed by crappy OS.
Win98 - WinMe; WinXP - Vista
Win 8 is destined to be crappy one
Same feeling
W8 seems to be a transition to something else...
Old 25th June 2012, 08:57 AM   #24
Account disabled at member's request

This issue is now top 5. Is everything so slow in Android land ? Windows 8 and their Surface tablet will be out before Android gets this done, and then goodbye Android.

Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
Old 1st July 2012, 06:59 PM   #25
orpheus is offline orpheus  United States
diyAudio Member

4.1 Jellybean supports USBAudio:
Old 1st July 2012, 08:48 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

If Jellybean supports it then the googles nexus 7 tablet, set for full release in ~2 weeks, should support it.

Android support is fairly poor from some manufactures though, with lots not even up to ICS 4.0 yet.

I don't see windows RT as replacing Android however. Android will still rule the cheap tablet market, windows RT comes with a fairly hefty license fee and this will push RT tablets into the realm of the premium products.

Things like the nexus and the kindle fire will still run android and these are likely to become the two top selling tablets at the bottom end of the market.

Windows RT will come in at a higher price point and that will most likely be the choice of operating system for most people as it will have microsofts generally good support, so no worries about being kept up to date. Of course windows RT wont run any native windows programs, so in terms of what an RT tablet will give you over an android one...that's basically down to their associated app stores.

Pay a bit more however and you can get windows 8 on a tablet and this will run windows programs.

I sort of see windows RT as being a bit of a black sheep, most RT capable tablets will run windows 8, the only real difference being that they need the new intel x86 tablet processor rather then an ARM based one. The windows 8 tablet license isn't any more expensive then RTs either, so who would want an RT tablet over a windows 8 one?

Naturally the market will keep windows RT tablets cheaper then windows 8 ones, but from a hardware point of view that doesn't necessarily have to be the case, at least not by much.

The tablet industry is sure going to be interesting in the following 12 months.
Old 1st July 2012, 10:16 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Not Enough

Not enough cpu, memory and storage.

If you want small, fanless and dead quiet try Zotac E350-A-E Wi-Fi AMD Fusion Mini-ITX Motherboard
Old 1st July 2012, 10:57 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I'm a windows guy but could never see myself choosing a RT or W8 tablet over Android. RT doesn't interest me in the least and W8 requires power hungry x86 hardware.

I've had my Android smart phone for nearly two years now and I've really grown to like the OS despite it's shortcomings.
Old 1st July 2012, 11:22 PM   #29
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Finally! I was afraid they will attempt to corner the market with the NexusQ and force people to buy everything Google.
Old 1st July 2012, 11:30 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't speak too soon with confidence on this one. I am not sure if it is standards compliant usb audio. There is no mention of UAC1 or UAC2 in anything I could find on the matter, including SDK docs.

I have over the weekend just upgraded to 4.1 (JB) on my galaxy nexus but I don't have a usb adapter to test it out. I will be trying to at some point in the near future though.

Hide this!Advertise here!