Can Tablet PC (android) drive an USB DAC? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Account disabled at member's request

H,

Thanks for the help - I get it ! Also thanks for directing me to the posts about Linux timings. I've been working my way through that thread but for a noob it is very long and not exactly plain English ;-) I'm keen to learn, but woah, I'm in at the deep end it seems.

The reason I said DPC was important is because of my experience with different PCs. Without any doubt, the best USB-sourced sound came from ones with low DPC. My desktop rocks, my old notebook barely hummed in tune. So I'm looking around for a replacement that can/could do decent audio.

Do you reckon Android can/could do it ?
Old 8th April 2011, 08:55 PM   #12
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I do not want to start the discussion of latency vs. sound quality (USB or PCI), but in my opinion the difference in sound of your NTB and PC was caused by quality of the USB +5V lines. Typically notebooks have poor/noisy PSUs.

As I do not believe latency nor operating system has any effect on USB sound quality, there is no reason why android could not do. Plus tegra in the Eee Pad is a very powerful hardware for audio playback.
Old 9th April 2011, 01:35 AM   #13

Hi,

Like you, I also found USB power to be a problem. I have checked on my scope and the lines have a broadband of noise which is totally unsuitable for audio. Thankfully there is the adum4160 usb isolator so I can give the usb devices clean power and keep them isolated from the PC. There's a very obvious improvement in SQ.

I built an AMB sigma11 using a max6250 vref for one of the adum4160 I have - it's about the best power a USB device can get.
Click the image to open in full size.

The only difficulty with usb isolation is that it won't work with asynch devices like the M2Tech HiFace. In systems with high dpc, an asynch device clearly sounds better; but with low dpc, asynch is not any better imho. So, from my limited experience and listening tests, DPC does matter. I also think onboard chips ( as spdif sources ) and PCI soundcards are better than usb in some cases, but I really cannot say this with any authority because my comparisons have been apples and oranges. Have you done any testing ?

I completely agree that hardware is very important. I'm not sure about the processor (not tested this) but for sure a high FSB is very definitely better !

It's worth pointing out that some of the differences are very slight indeed, and others are instantly and immediately obvious. Different OS, DPC, etc have been very small differences but drivers, power quality, isolation etc are, by comparison, huge improvements.

Tom

Last edited by KlipschKid; 9th April 2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 15th March 2012, 03:27 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

There is an open issue at Google to implement the USB AUDIO feature, and use an external DAC on Android devices.

It needs 1200 votes to enter the top ten, and there are 950 votes today... Let's see if the votes are increased after posting this on DiyAudio (this thread has 8554 views so far)

Please, click "vote for this issue" at the bottom of the page

Issue 24614 - android - Enable USB audio on the Galaxy Nexus (or any Android 4.0 device) - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Last edited by pingfloid; 15th March 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 15th March 2012, 08:34 AM   #15

Still not done a year later ? Clearly not of interest to them eh ?

Well, I logged in and added my comment and star, but no need, as I found the Nokia N8 supports pcm270X devices so that's been my portable digital source for the last year. It plays flac through folderplay too.

So I use the N8 with an AMB y2 dac with Tent lab clocks and an adum isolator to power the y2. I doubt an Android source will sound any better ?
Old 15th March 2012, 08:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the vote, KlipschKid.

This thread has received 41 visits while the vote counter has increased just 15 votes in the same time.

Please vote!

Thank you very much!
Old 15th March 2012, 09:29 AM   #17

yeah, maybe cos you have to log in to see the "star this" button ?
Old 25th March 2012, 03:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Several devices have a hack available:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344045
I know that on Nook, an USB audio host was included by hacker comunity. It requires a separate switcher:
https://github.com/verygreen/Nook-Co...bhost-switcher

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 25th March 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 27th March 2012, 01:24 AM   #19

Hi,

I tried the Windows 8 Consumer Preview the other day. I'm sure people here know about it but in case they don't, it's a free download from Microsoft and their site has a licence key too in the FAQ, valid to sometime in 2013.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

Anyway, the Metro UI sucks on a notebook or desktop ( for example no start button, and the shut down is hidden in settings which is a pop up on the rhs of the screen ) but it will probably work well with a touch screen so I think I'll give Android a miss ( despite loving the Galaxy SII ) and go from using my N8 to a Win8 mini-tablet/phone.

My main concern about Win8 was the install took up a huge amount of Gb. Not so much a footprint as a crater.

Last edited by KlipschKid; 27th March 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:37 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I totally hate the new look of Win8 (Metro UI). I have a phone and tablet with Android. I don't need a PC that looks the same!
Linux might be the one to gain from this...

Hide this!Advertise here!