LAN Switch upgrade to Internet streaming - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2010, 04:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default LAN Switch upgrade to Internet streaming

I have been a big fan of internet streaming radio stations for a couple of years now. Lastfm and we7 are my favorites. I don't delude myself that these are audiophile sources but I discovered an unexpected leap in performance when I tried using a small Cisco LAN switch between my PC and router. This is a 'store and forward' switch that regenerates the signal and then runs an integrity check on every block of data it receives before passing it across the network. So it acts as a buffer as well - sort of a capacitance-type thing, I guess. The theory is pretty sound but ...blimey, I was amazed at the improved clarity - silent background - bass in particular hugely improved. I am pretty cynical about so-called upgrades, but even I am impressed by this (still only MP3 quality though !). Just wondered if anyone else has tried this - or am I imagining the improvements I am hearing ????

Hide this!Advertise here!