My first PC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
omg i love the amber monitors, I used to have one, such a brilliant colour.

My first computer was a Texas Instruments Ti/99-A.
My second computer was a Commodore 64
My third computer was a Commodore Amiga 500
My fourth computer was a Commodore Amiga 600
My fifth computer was a Commodore Amiga 1000
My sixth computer was a PC 486DX/66

At this point in time I also owned many hundreds of computer systems everything from Apple IIC's to Apple Power PC's and Ataris, Nintendos, Sega.... 8086 IBM PS/2's, IBM 30-50-80's and even clones like Acorn's

Back at about this time I had started to meddle in Debian Potato Linux, and Minux and Red Hat 6.2, I had sucessfully made a dialup hardware firewall out of debian linux and a 486DX with no more than 4MB of ram and a 200MB HDD.

My seventh computer was a Cyrix 333, then upgraded to an AMD K6-2 500 which I broke the ceramic insulator for by stupidly trying to follow some guys overclocking advice that I had gotten on IRC, so I had to go back to the Cyrix, man was I pissed.

My eighth computer was an AMD Athlon 1000 which I crushed the core of by letting some dumbass computer salesman sell me a Orb cooler, which crushed the core after trying to install it, so I then shilled out for an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ which then blew up the motherboard because the core die was glued on wrong and infact the die was offcenter by a large degree, this took out the motherboard which was an ECS K7VT2 Black model, I was again very pissed at AMD and at incompetent australian computer salesmen.

My nineth computer was an ASRock K7VZA with a warranty RMA'ed AMD Athlon XP 2000+ cpu which I had found fast for a while from 2003 until 2007.

My tenth computer was an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with GTX260, Seasonic X900 PSU, Coolermaster CM Stacker, 4GB DDR2 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R with 6TB on tap.

My current 11th computer is a Core i3 2120-T with a Gigabyte GTX650 o/c, 8GB of ram, with 9TB on tap in many 2TB and 1TB HDD's.

Today I still have a Intel Pentium 2 400 system running on the floor here as a firewall with IPCop or Smoothwall purely because it would cost too much to replace it and it does nat and filtering just fine and I cannot for the life of me throw it out purely because its obsolete.

And because I feel a certian fondness for the good old days when I had friends who would come over to play games with me.

My fav game on the PowerPC Mac was Escape Velocity.
My fav game on the IBM PS/2's was Oil Tycoon or Alley Cat.
My fav game on the Cyrix and AMD k-6 2 system was Quake 3 Arena.
My fav game on the Amiga 600 was Walker.

And my fav system of all of them would have to be the IBM PS/2 with a 5 1/4 inch hard drive which sounded like a jet engine when it was turned on, and it has an Amber monitor, sometimes the simplest things in life are the most enjoyed.

Last edited:
My first pc was an 8088 10Mhz with dual floppies and an amber monitor.
No hard drive and just 512k memory.

Always had to keep two copies of info on separate floppies as they weren't terribly reliable.

I wrote a PCBCAD program for that PC and it was so big I had to modularise the software and load in and unload modules as required. It was around 300,000 lines of assembler code.

My first was a SOL-20 with and 8080 Intel CPU and 8k of memory using the CUTS cassette tape storage system. I built it from a kit, circa ~1977. I guess it's no surprise that since then I've built many more computers. The SOL-20 was named after Les Solomon of the famed Popular Electronics magazine. I still have the SOL and the last time I turned it on to show my 14 yr old son, it still worked!

Attachments

• Sol-20_01_full.jpg
    Sol-20_01_full.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 99
Well... The first thing I got was a 48k Sinclair ZX Spectrum. Rubber keyboard and a mono cassette player as the drive... Took around 15 to 20 mins to load a game into it.

8 bit, 16 colours, huge 48k memory... Got it the same day my wife came out of hospital after having my first son.... Place was an absolute tip and I was sat in middle of room completly tranced out on the tv.. It wasn't the best start to a marriage, but 30 years later, were still married and we both now sit tranced out at our monitors lol.

I just discovered that 6 of the cd/dvd roms that I have bought over the years eversince 2003 are now no longer working.

a samsung 52x cdrom that I bought in 2003, doesn't work anymore.
a lg dvd burner i bought in 2006, doesnt work anymore.

it just goes on and on, whats the deal here? other components from this era, even before, are all still working, hell i've got hard drives from 1997 that still work.

So why are cdroms so unreliable? they still mechanically work fine, its the boards that are gone. I'm not trying to burn with them I'm just trying to get them to read...

I've cleaned the lenses with a qtip and some water, still no go.

I bet its the pata cable going screwy...

Nope, problem is, my new computer has no ide port on it (gee thanks!) and i cannot even copy an iso to a cf card to boot off of that now... motherboard is too old for usb boot 07-01-1999)

Obsolescence sucks.

Last edited:
My first computer was a Rockwell LED Calculator !!!
The TI programmable's were very expensive at the time.
I wanted to get a ELF using a CDP-1802 CPU from RCA at the time.

I had a friend that had a PolyMorphic systems with an 8080A running Tiny Basic and he later got a Z80 card for it.
Another friend had the KIM1 using a 6502.

In 1983 I finally got my hands on a VIC-20 and I loved that machine.
After that I have owned and used every model of computer from Radio shack from the Model 1 to the Model 16 with the 68000 running Xenix.

The Color computer was my favorite running OS9 and some hard drives hooked to it.

I wanted to get an Amiga but I never got one.
I felt that they were a bit over priced at the time although I still wish I had.

Then the PC revolution had started in full swing and then I got one of the very first 80286 mother boards that would do 16Mhz and then 20Mhz !!!

Really fast stuff !!!

Earlier I had gotten a NCR main frame that worked and I had that for many years.
It came with a band printer that could line feed a whole box of fanfold paper in about 30 seconds as it would print at 1200 lines a minute.

Also I gotten a working DEC PDP 11/70 complete with the TU/TE 16 tape deck and 5 spin dryers that could hold 300 MB each with lots of hard disk packs for free!!!

I later stripped them for parts after I got done playing with them for several years.

During this time I had acquired the very S-100 computer from TI that they used in there lab with the label TIE on the front of the box, but I never got it running.

Also I had a few BlackHawk Z-80 PC machines that are now very rare.
As the guy that owned the company was Dave Michaelson.
They ran under CP/M which later became MSDos.

I got them running again and returned them to him as he later sold the company.
I have know idea as to where they are now.
Dave had started BlackHawk computer school when my friend Dave Federici and I had met him and the three of us turned it into what is now Southwest Florida Collage based in Naples Florida.

What a grand time it was back in the 80's and early 90's as we got to know a few of the top ITT tech's at the time because Dave M. used to be a top manager for ITT back then.

Then we got one of the very first of 10 or 20 dual CPU Pentium Pro 200's that where ever produced in 1995 by Aberdeen.
It served me well up until 2006.

By then the P4's were coming out and getting affordable.
I am still using them along with an ole' Opteron 185.
And that ole' Opty kills them hands down!!
Still huffing right along.

The latest build I have done is FX-6100 at 4.75Ghz for my mom and I did have it at 4.95Ghz and above.

I am thinking about a Budget build for myself with the new FX-6300 or FX-8320/FX-8350 CPU.

One day soon I plan on Getting me one of these,

EVGA | Products | EVGA Classified SR-X | 270-SE-W888-KR

:cheers:

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.