My first PC. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2012, 12:41 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

My first computer was a Rockwell LED Calculator !!!
The TI programmable's were very expensive at the time.
I wanted to get a ELF using a CDP-1802 CPU from RCA at the time.

I had a friend that had a PolyMorphic systems with an 8080A running Tiny Basic and he later got a Z80 card for it.
Another friend had the KIM1 using a 6502.

In 1983 I finally got my hands on a VIC-20 and I loved that machine.
After that I have owned and used every model of computer from Radio shack from the Model 1 to the Model 16 with the 68000 running Xenix.

The Color computer was my favorite running OS9 and some hard drives hooked to it.

I wanted to get an Amiga but I never got one.
I felt that they were a bit over priced at the time although I still wish I had.

Then the PC revolution had started in full swing and then I got one of the very first 80286 mother boards that would do 16Mhz and then 20Mhz !!!

Really fast stuff !!!

Earlier I had gotten a NCR main frame that worked and I had that for many years.
It came with a band printer that could line feed a whole box of fanfold paper in about 30 seconds as it would print at 1200 lines a minute.

Also I gotten a working DEC PDP 11/70 complete with the TU/TE 16 tape deck and 5 spin dryers that could hold 300 MB each with lots of hard disk packs for free!!!

I later stripped them for parts after I got done playing with them for several years.

During this time I had acquired the very S-100 computer from TI that they used in there lab with the label TIE on the front of the box, but I never got it running.

Also I had a few BlackHawk Z-80 PC machines that are now very rare.
As the guy that owned the company was Dave Michaelson.
They ran under CP/M which later became MSDos.

I got them running again and returned them to him as he later sold the company.
I have know idea as to where they are now.
Dave had started BlackHawk computer school when my friend Dave Federici and I had met him and the three of us turned it into what is now Southwest Florida Collage based in Naples Florida.

What a grand time it was back in the 80's and early 90's as we got to know a few of the top ITT tech's at the time because Dave M. used to be a top manager for ITT back then.

Then we got one of the very first of 10 or 20 dual CPU Pentium Pro 200's that where ever produced in 1995 by Aberdeen.
It served me well up until 2006.

By then the P4's were coming out and getting affordable.
I am still using them along with an ole' Opteron 185.
And that ole' Opty kills them hands down!!
Still huffing right along.

The latest build I have done is FX-6100 at 4.75Ghz for my mom and I did have it at 4.95Ghz and above.

I am thinking about a Budget build for myself with the new FX-6300 or FX-8320/FX-8350 CPU.

One day soon I plan on Getting me one of these,

EVGA | Products | EVGA Classified SR-X | 270-SE-W888-KR

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 9th December 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:22 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Sounds a bit like mine, then I got the super duper 386 with a 10MB hard drive. I had to spend $400 on 4MB of memory so I could play quake and descent and make music with a Gravis ultrasound MAX (which I saved)

Hide this!Advertise here!