My first PC. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2012, 02:09 PM   #21
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

omg i love the amber monitors, I used to have one, such a brilliant colour.

My first computer was a Texas Instruments Ti/99-A.
My second computer was a Commodore 64
My third computer was a Commodore Amiga 500
My fourth computer was a Commodore Amiga 600
My fifth computer was a Commodore Amiga 1000
My sixth computer was a PC 486DX/66

At this point in time I also owned many hundreds of computer systems everything from Apple IIC's to Apple Power PC's and Ataris, Nintendos, Sega.... 8086 IBM PS/2's, IBM 30-50-80's and even clones like Acorn's

Back at about this time I had started to meddle in Debian Potato Linux, and Minux and Red Hat 6.2, I had sucessfully made a dialup hardware firewall out of debian linux and a 486DX with no more than 4MB of ram and a 200MB HDD.

My seventh computer was a Cyrix 333, then upgraded to an AMD K6-2 500 which I broke the ceramic insulator for by stupidly trying to follow some guys overclocking advice that I had gotten on IRC, so I had to go back to the Cyrix, man was I pissed.

My eighth computer was an AMD Athlon 1000 which I crushed the core of by letting some dumbass computer salesman sell me a Orb cooler, which crushed the core after trying to install it, so I then shilled out for an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ which then blew up the motherboard because the core die was glued on wrong and infact the die was offcenter by a large degree, this took out the motherboard which was an ECS K7VT2 Black model, I was again very pissed at AMD and at incompetent australian computer salesmen.

My nineth computer was an ASRock K7VZA with a warranty RMA'ed AMD Athlon XP 2000+ cpu which I had found fast for a while from 2003 until 2007.

My tenth computer was an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with GTX260, Seasonic X900 PSU, Coolermaster CM Stacker, 4GB DDR2 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R with 6TB on tap.

My current 11th computer is a Core i3 2120-T with a Gigabyte GTX650 o/c, 8GB of ram, with 9TB on tap in many 2TB and 1TB HDD's.

Today I still have a Intel Pentium 2 400 system running on the floor here as a firewall with IPCop or Smoothwall purely because it would cost too much to replace it and it does nat and filtering just fine and I cannot for the life of me throw it out purely because its obsolete.

And because I feel a certian fondness for the good old days when I had friends who would come over to play games with me.

My fav game on the PowerPC Mac was Escape Velocity.
My fav game on the IBM PS/2's was Oil Tycoon or Alley Cat.
My fav game on the Cyrix and AMD k-6 2 system was Quake 3 Arena.
My fav game on the Amiga 600 was Walker.

And my fav system of all of them would have to be the IBM PS/2 with a 5 1/4 inch hard drive which sounded like a jet engine when it was turned on, and it has an Amber monitor, sometimes the simplest things in life are the most enjoyed.

Last edited by freax; 8th December 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 8th December 2012, 10:18 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

My first pc was an 8088 10Mhz with dual floppies and an amber monitor.
No hard drive and just 512k memory.

Always had to keep two copies of info on separate floppies as they weren't terribly reliable.

I wrote a PCBCAD program for that PC and it was so big I had to modularise the software and load in and unload modules as required. It was around 300,000 lines of assembler code.
Old 8th December 2012, 11:13 PM   #23
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

My first was a SOL-20 with and 8080 Intel CPU and 8k of memory using the CUTS cassette tape storage system. I built it from a kit, circa ~1977. I guess it's no surprise that since then I've built many more computers. The SOL-20 was named after Les Solomon of the famed Popular Electronics magazine. I still have the SOL and the last time I turned it on to show my 14 yr old son, it still worked!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sol-20_01_full.jpg (132.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 8th December 2012, 11:30 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

8088 Intel with a 10MB hard drive, later upgraded with a 30MB. Wish I still had it.
Old 9th December 2012, 07:50 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Well... The first thing I got was a 48k Sinclair ZX Spectrum. Rubber keyboard and a mono cassette player as the drive... Took around 15 to 20 mins to load a game into it.

8 bit, 16 colours, huge 48k memory... Got it the same day my wife came out of hospital after having my first son.... Place was an absolute tip and I was sat in middle of room completly tranced out on the tv.. It wasn't the best start to a marriage, but 30 years later, were still married and we both now sit tranced out at our monitors lol.
Old 9th December 2012, 08:47 AM   #26
d a o is offline d a o  Denmark
diyAudio Member

1) ZX81 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia KIT
2) Grundy NewBrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
3) Sinclair QL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 was nice
2 was af super computer
3 was a bit shitty
Old 9th December 2012, 09:25 AM   #27
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

I just discovered that 6 of the cd/dvd roms that I have bought over the years eversince 2003 are now no longer working.

a samsung 52x cdrom that I bought in 2003, doesn't work anymore.
a lg dvd burner i bought in 2006, doesnt work anymore.

it just goes on and on, whats the deal here? other components from this era, even before, are all still working, hell i've got hard drives from 1997 that still work.

So why are cdroms so unreliable? they still mechanically work fine, its the boards that are gone. I'm not trying to burn with them I'm just trying to get them to read...

I've cleaned the lenses with a qtip and some water, still no go.

I bet its the pata cable going screwy...

Nope, problem is, my new computer has no ide port on it (gee thanks!) and i cannot even copy an iso to a cf card to boot off of that now... motherboard is too old for usb boot 07-01-1999)

Obsolescence sucks.

Last edited by freax; 9th December 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:39 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

1) Texas Instruments TI99-4A
2) Epson Geneva PX-8
3) Commodore VIC-20
4) PC-XT w/ 12MHz NEC V20
5) PC-AT w/ 25Mhz Intel 80386
Old 9th December 2012, 09:46 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

A DEC ALPHA... and a line printer for output. could programm this huge beast with toggle switches on the front panle of the main cpu section. It was mounted in a rack system with two huge still called diskette drives that weighed nearly 50 kilos each
Old 9th December 2012, 10:47 AM   #30
d a o is offline d a o  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Ny Dream pc at that time
1980s Vintage Computers - HP Series 80 HP-85
Or
1980s Vintage Computers - HP Series 80 HP-87

Hide this!Advertise here!