Buzzing/Hum/Distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just bought a new system and having some troubles with my audio setup. My new system is as follows

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P LGA1156 Motherboard

i5-760 Intel Core i5 760 2.80Ghz LGA1156 CPU

CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 Corsair Value Select 4Gb PC10600 DDR3-1333 Dual Channel Kit

AM5770-DHV-1024D5 Amaze ATi Radeon HD 5770 1Gb PCI Express

HD103SJ Samsung Spinpoint 1Tb 7200rpm SATA II HDD [HD103SJ]

SH-S223B-BL Samsung SH-S223 Black 22x SATA Dual Layer DVD Burner

NINE-HUNDRED-TWO Antec Gamer Nine Hundred Two Black Case

TP-750 Antec 750W TruePower Power Supply

FQC-00765-MS Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Now Im using the onboard 7.1 sound card from the mobo. Problem is Im getting a constant buzzing/distortion through my speakers. Im running an old amp/receiver connected to the PC through an RCA cable and then just using 2 x stereo speakers (Kenwood) for sound. Same setup as my old PC with no problems. I thought it may have been a problem with my RCA lead so I bought a new one from Selby but still no luck. Ive plugged my headphones in and theres no distortion/buzzing whatsoever and sounds great. Ive tried other speakers and the distortion/buzzing is still there. This leads me to believe that its a proble with my amp/receiver and picking up too much interference from my new PC which is a lot more powerful than the old one. Would the experts agree? Any advice would be great. Thanks for your time.

booze

An UPDATE; I pulled out a REAL old set of Logitech X530 5.1 speakers. Connectected them up to the mobo and there was no buzzing/distortion at all. The sound was terrible but there was no buzzing!
Suggesting that it is a problem with the receiver? Thanks again

It is a ground loop problem. Many computer setups have it. The best cure is transformer isolation between amp and the sound card, but it might be costly.

Another thing to try to make sure that it is a ground loop problem is to lift ground on computer power for a short time. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS THING TO DO. REPEAT, THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS THING TO DO. So, Use GFCI adapter plugged in the wall socket first and THEN use 3-to-2 pin adapter plugged in GFCI and then plug computer power to it. Using GFCI is mandatory, do not skip it. And this is only a test, to make sure that it is a ground loop problem. Do not operate system in this configuration.

GFCI you can get at home depot ($12), something like this
Tower Manufacturing Corporation 3 Wire GFCI Outlet Adapter - 30339005 at The Home Depot

Buzz Humming

This is a common problem. The suggestion for disconnecting the PC from earth is working, but is is against safety regulations. For laptops i use it all the time. If it is a PC connection to an audio system where quality is important, you could use a sound card with an optical output and connect it to a DA converter. Behringer has a model with good sonic quality and the price does not break the bank. Search for the ultramatch pro.
Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.