USB to 7.1 24-bit 192KHz sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the infos nyc_paramedic, now i would like to see products with more accessible price, i think when the UAC2 will became more supported on all the major OS (i don't understand why MS have no UAC2 driver till now) we will see UAC2 adapter and DAC with price near the actual UAC1 corrispective.

I am very enthusiastic about recently acquiring the Ayre DAC, but not because of it's 176/192 capability. I really admire what it does with 16bit/44.1 and some of the 24bit/96khz material I have --all USB Audio Class 1 technology.
I found out I was getting a UAC2 board in my Ayre *after* I had paid (black color is special order) for the DAC.

I spent my free afternoon yesterday listening to my DAC with only 16bit material. Music that I enjoy *and* is well recorded. If it's done right at 16/44.1, you'll need a very revealing system *and* have to listen closely to discern differences.

There's also plethora of good 24bit/96khz material out there and you don't need UAC2 or custom drivers to enjoy it.

P.S. One of my favorite albums, engineered by Steve Albini, is Nina Nastasia's Dogs[i/]. Link: Dogs (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On Amazon's used marketplace cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Nina-Nastasia/dp/B00023B1H6

I am very enthusiastic about recently acquiring the Ayre DAC, but not because of it's 176/192 capability. I really admire what it does with 16bit/44.1 and some of the 24bit/96khz material I have --all USB Audio Class 1 technology.
I found out I was getting a UAC2 board in my Ayre *after* I had paid (black color is special order) for the DAC.

I spent my free afternoon yesterday listening to my DAC with only 16bit material. Music that I enjoy *and* is well recorded. If it's done right at 16/44.1, you'll need a very revealing system *and* have to listen closely to discern differences.

There's also plethora of good 24bit/96khz material out there and you don't need UAC2 or custom drivers to enjoy it.

P.S. One of my favorite albums, engineered by Steve Albini, is Nina Nastasia's Dogs[i/]. Link: Dogs (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On Amazon's used marketplace cheap: Amazon.com: Dogs: Nina Nastasia: Music

Hi nyc_paramedic,
i agree with you that is difficult to discerne from a good 44.1/16 and higher sampling frequencies/bit depth and anyway it is possible only with a really good system.
It is also true that you can do 96/24 with UAC1 but i would like to realize a multiway system with digital crossover an this is only possible with UAC2 interface because UAC1 at 96/24 has only one stereo channel.
Anyway there are other factor to prefer UAC2 over UAC1 as a better management of clocks and clock domains, the possibility to include a SRC unit (that if well implemented could be of help) and many other (i have read through the specifics too fast).
Another thing to think about the use of higher sampling frequencies/bit depth is that modern DAC have better numbers if feeded so.

Ciao
Andrea

how about the newish crystal semi chips? the CS4207 and dev board CD84207 with dev platform datasheet here

It uses the HD AUDIO codec, (or spdif input) has drivers for mac, windows and linux. 24/192 with 4 channels in, 6 channels out (maybe use 2 as custom device for 12 channels out dont know if you can do that in windows, easy in mac and linux)

even has an integrated headphone amp ;) integrated ADC @ 24/96. The specs arent up to the standard of the highest end dacs out there, but are still pretty good and functionality is off the charts. you can buy the chip at digikey as well as the dev board.

i'm surprised I havent seen that much here about it. has integrated DSP for EQ also

Last edited:
ahh actually only 4 channels lineout per device and 2 channel headamp, has 2 x spdif outputs as well (so no reason you couldnt chain 2 together), spdif reciever, SRC etc. power packed little chip. been looking for an excuse to get the dev board for a while now, figure i'll finish whats on my plate first. By then maybe they'll have a professional full power version with even more functionality and maybe better DNR with current outputs perhaps, rather than the internal IV in this one

Last edited:
on the subject of USB and Windows drivers - my AV amp uses a TUSB3200A USB chip, and allows input of 8 channels of USB audio at 48khz/16bit

question is though Windows just detects it as a "standard USB audio device"

I'm pretty sure the USB chip supports Aynchronous Sync Streaming- question is though - how do you set it to that mode - and how do you know what mode you're syncing at anyway ?

I'm pretty sure the USB chip supports Aynchronous Sync Streaming- question is though - how do you set it to that mode - and how do you know what mode you're syncing at anyway ?

According to the datasheet, the USB chip supports USB audio asynchronous, i.e. the firmware (8052 code) can disable the internal adaptive clock and use precise external clock. The question is whether that particular firmware in your AVR supports the asynchronous mode. I very doubt it since it is more complicated than adaptive and very few manufacturers have allocated the resources to develop it.

Is there a DIY project that supports this around ? or any 4 to 8 channel recording or higher Diy Project ?

I demonstrated this a couple of years ago on an XMOS device at NAMM.

Source was a bluray rip playing in VLC (on a Mac - so no 3rd party drivers required)

I did have to make some modifications to VLC since the Mac 7.1 audio support wasn't quite there... presumably because no one had used it before.

I keep meaning to dig these out and push them back to VLC..

Wow pretty amazing, so you think i could use something like this USB 2 kit as is?
xKITS | XMOS
build a box for it put on some RCA sockets on, mess with software and be away ?

Am reading a lot about them

Yes you could do that, ideally they are reference designs for people to design their own hardware from. But I'm sure plenty of people are using them as is...

If you really want to get involved in programming there is a forum at XCORE | Community for XMOS embedded processors - design and develop with XMOS technology

Thanks, yes have been looking at this as the only solution this is perfect almost but i think that it dosent work stand alone so you need a ADC or a few ADC depending on how many channels. and send IS2 data to the MiniDSP.

Please correct me if im wrong, so yes half way there which is great :)

Quite correct. I2S ADC boards are few and far between.
I understand that you want to have a go at DIY and keep the price down,
but, the cost of parts soon adds up.

Also you will not get low latency with the XMOS/Thesycon solutions.

You also need to confirm that your CPU can "keep up".

Something like this RME: Hammerfall DSP Multiface II
at around £540 will work straight out of the box and may prove cheaper in the long run.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.