USB to 7.1 24-bit 192KHz sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been searching long and hard with no result. Here's my problem...

Is there a driver for a particular micro controller that will accept 8 channels (7.1 surround sound) at 192KHz-24bit from a USB under Microsoft Windows? The micro controller will act as a sound card which Windows will recognise and send audio data to. Also I must be able to use the ASIO pipeline because I need low latency since I create music. If there is any way of doing what I want please let me know here.

Thankyou very much for your help.

I will be trying my luck to get my hands on one of those VIA chips.

In the mean time...
If I were to create my own drivers for a particular microcontroller to do what I want, what would be the minimum USB features the microcontroller should have? I know I would need a to use at least USB 2.0 High Speed (480Mbps) to get the data rate required.

Thanks.

Good to hear this phofman, the only problem for now is that we have the driver (at least on mac and linux - and that is enough for me) but no hw products, only chipsets or develboard from XMOS.

The mainstream market runs on windows. When the "superior OS" Microsoft: Windows 7 Is Superior to OS X, Linux, and to All Platforms - 9 out of 10 people choose Windows PCs - Softpedia cannot provide drivers developed by a single guy on linux in a few weeks, the rest of the world running the "inferior" OS alternatives will have to wait.

I would say the alsa driver in the git tree is already useable.

I have used a recent snapshot of Alsa with kernel 2.32.5 on a Thinkpad running Debian Sid. 176khz and 192khz audio works frine with my new Ayre QB-9 with its USB Audio Class v2.0 board.

Snapshots here: Index of /pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/alsa/alsa-driver

In a hurry, I grabbed one dated July 8 and everything still worked flawlessly. The Ayre lights up with triple digits playing 176 or 192 FLACs.

Last edited:
Good to hear this phofman, the only problem for now is that we have the driver (at least on mac and linux - and that is enough for me) but no hw products, only chipsets or develboard from XMOS.

Not true. All current Ayre QB-9s are shipping with USB Audio Class v2.0 boards. A small switch lets you switch between Class 1 Auiod and Class 2 Audio. I have one and it works with a recent snapshot of Alsa on Debian.

Also, Wavelength Audio is currently shipping its Wavelink USB Audio Class v2.0 to S/PDIF adapter. Link: Wavelength Audio, USB DACS New page, find out what's going on in Computer Audio

Cheers.

Not true. All current Ayre QB-9s are shipping with USB Audio Class v2.0 boards. A small switch lets you switch between Class 1 Auiod and Class 2 Audio. I have one and it works with a recent snapshot of Alsa on Debian.

Also, Wavelength Audio is currently shipping its Wavelink USB Audio Class v2.0 to S/PDIF adapter. Link: Wavelength Audio, USB DACS New page, find out what's going on in Computer Audio

Cheers.

Thanks for the infos nyc_paramedic, now i would like to see products with more accessible price, i think when the UAC2 will became more supported on all the major OS (i don't understand why MS have no UAC2 driver till now) we will see UAC2 adapter and DAC with price near the actual UAC1 corrispective.

Ciao
Andrea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.