USB to 7.1 24-bit 192KHz sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If the DPC latency is too high you will not be able to set the audio latency
low without drop outs.

Using the MiniDSP USBStreamer (set for Maximum latency) I was getting audio drop out driving 4 I2S channels at 192Khz using a desktop PC with Q8300 processor.

I is also worth noting that most microphones drop off at around 20-22khz
so there is little point in recording at higher than 48k.

Dropping from 192k to 48k also greatly reduces the CPU load.

Also you will not get low latency with the XMOS/Thesycon solutions.

You also need to confirm that your CPU can "keep up".

Something like this RME: Hammerfall DSP Multiface II
at around £540 will work straight out of the box and may prove cheaper in the long run.

Thanks, The RME am thinking about and was originaly thinking of actualy just buying this xmos Reference

It is actualy most important to me that there are no dropouts in sound, the actual latency issue where a track is recorder slightly out of time when are overdubbing over a previous track is not a problem as i should be able to adjust with software.

I think your right tho before buying something like that it would be good to know that this laptop can handle it!
the RME's usualy have DSP on too and take the load of CPU as far as I Know

I am assuming you own a laptop or desktop PC ?
If so try this DPC Latency Checker
Post the results.
I will explain more later when I finish work.

Result : Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams.
48k and 24bit seem my usual standard realy, so that Xmos link I put Seems pretty good. also can imagine using its outputs to Tri-Amp.

Thanks for the help/input

Cheers Ive sent them an email, looks like on the main page for it it says they are evaluation drivers but dosen't mention the beep, but they probably wouldn't lol

Well i got all Exited yesterday about the Roland R-26 as it said 6-channel recording in a small portable recorder and right they are it is, I had to look in the manual though to get to what i wanted
As a USB interface it can only record 2 of those channels to the Computer.
Oh well, I thought that recorder was it then!

May still buy it for band recordings though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.