Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Hi Klaus,
just ordered the W8 upgrade for Christmas ;-)
Will report if i audition any differences. What makes me
skeptical about W8 are all those bad comments about handling
without touchscreen.
Greetings ulf

Hi Ulf,

I changed one of my systems to W8. I use a touchpad from Logitech. It is not very cheap, but after using it some days, I like the handling.

Richard

Guys, pls advice on what brand and model of router to get.

Im frustrated with my router. I have to unplug and restart the router at least every 4 days then would have to reconfigure the touch with the 3.0 mods again. i have even reserved the ip address of the touch to the router. after router has been restarted, the touch could not connect to the server anymore. Even winscp could not communicate with touch. I connect the touch to the router with ethernet cable.

Pls recommend a replacement router.

Thanks guys

Hi folks.

Networking exercise!

For those of you, who are kind of bored in the holiday season.

Could you try following.

1. Connect your LMS server! via WLAN to the router. You might disable
the LAN adapter in the BIOS.
2. The Touch you connect via cable to the router.

That'll be it.

Let me (us) know if anything happened.

Enjoy.

c'mon don't be so secretive, what's supposed to happen?

would try it myself but I have LMS on a NAS...

I haven't got a touch myself but I'll play :)

My guess is that the touch wouldn't see the LMS server so it wouldn't work. Unless I bridge the wired and wireless VLANs in the router in which case I would expect it to work as normal.

Rob.

Hi folks.

Networking exercise!

1. Connect your LMS server! via WLAN to the router. You might disable
the LAN adapter in the BIOS.
2. The Touch you connect via cable to the router.

Enjoy.

c'mon don't be so secretive, what's supposed to happen?

What do you think should happen, if I suggest anything over here? ;)

Actually that setup had been suggested to me by a friend of mine.

I'm also using a Fritzbox (supplied by the cable company) btw. But I think any router should do.
Perhaps not any server comes with WLAN though. I'm using a USB stick by myself.

Last edited:
:up:hmmm, I would try it but as I said I have LMS running on a NAS so no wlan... but I must say that the touch withh TT3 running via toslink to ddx320 with Cube F155 fullrange tqwt + tapped horn <60hz already sounds quite impressive :up:

Looks our setups are getting more and more similar. ;)

You could try to temporarily install LMS on e.g. a notebook. It wouldn't be more then a 30 minutes exercise.

Buffe size

Hi I've just installed your mod on my touch, and cant seem to get the buffer size to be anything but 100000us even if I tt -b (any numeric value). Anyone face this problem? Solutions?
I'm using the touch with an emotive dac, carver pre, Quad II tube mono blocks and dali's. So far the sound is not as good as a pc with j.river though usb limited to 44.1. I'm hoping these mods will come close to the pc sound cause I'd much rather use the touch/ipad to play music.
Thanks to all those who reply i advance

Hi Klaus,

I recently acquired a DAC that says - any device that supports USB audio class 2.0 specifications could work with this DAC.

I am not getting any music out of it though, but my SBT could detect the DAC at the Digital output, and it says:

USB -Audio - 'XXXbrand' USB Audio 2.0[info] >

Speed: High
Connection: Direct
Type: Asyn
Format: S32_LE
Rates: 44100........192000

Does it mean the DAC doesn't support SBT EDO?
Perhap there is a way to toggle the status to "Go"?

Thanks!

Hi there.

FYI.

Squeezelite a nice little (very slim) headless Squeezeboxclient respectively emulator.
It's a tiny application, based on squeezslave, that'll sit in the background and waits for orders via iPeng, browser or any other SB control panel.
The traffic will be routed to your soundinterface of choice at up to 32/384.

You can use Squeezelite pretty much on all platforms - OSX/WIN/Linux and many different processor architectures (even on your Open-Wrt router or Raspberry PI devices it'll work).

Basically there's no need to have a Squeezebox anymore. You can achieve
similar performance with a Raspberry PI and a Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC (25$+45$ -- 70$ in total)

Note: iPad and Droid tablets are covered already. You'll find similar streaming apps for a couple of bucks in the app stores.

Bottom line.

Now we can make every coffeemaker part of the Squeeze Streaming Universe at close to 0 cost.

Thx to Adrian Smith (also known as Triode (EDO) in the SB world) to bring the squeezslave project back to live. I'm sure he'll listen to constructive feedback over @ SB forums.

Great stuff. Enjoy. I do.

Cheers

PS:
I havn't managed to get SL-arm6 properly working on the Touch (Triode is looking into it). I tried Squeezeslave-ARM some time back and made it work. But at that time squeezeslave didn't sound as good as squeezeplay. That's why I left it alone.

If I manage to get squeezelite satisfactory working on the Touch, I'll release a new TT.

On my other Linux machines I got it working.

Hi there.

I need to correct above post a little.
##
Squeezelite is not BASED on Squeezeslave. It's written from scratch by Triode.
Sorry for the confusion.
The functionality though is almost identical.
##

Triode made the rev 1.0 RC2 available. It's working quite stable on my Touch and other computers.

Latest revision includes, beside several bugfixes, a priority setting feature to set the output thread
to a flexible priority (the thread runs SCHED_FIFO on preemtible kernels (realtime operation)). On earlier revisions SL output thread priority was fixed at SCHED_FIFO 40.

Performancewise it is IMO a head-2-head race with Squeezeplay at the moment. I do think Squeezelite got higher potential. But I still have difficulties to get the Linux environment properly tweaked for it. SL responds very sensitve to changes in the environment. As soon as I try to add (some of) my known optimizations it hangs up. Pretty weired. It behaves completely different than Squeezeplay.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi soundcheck,

What do you think, can SB Touch with Squeezelite stream flawlessly 384K to an USB sound card like Amanero?
Please give it try if you happen to have it.
Thanks

The newest SL version allows for up to 384khz.
The Logitechmediaserver still needs to be patched to accomplish 384.
There are people playing with it.

I'm not able to test it.