Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

I'm new to this, and have just read my way through the thread. I have just purchased a Squeezebox Touch which will replace my SB3.

I intend applying Soundcheck's mods, however, regarding the EDO plugin, is it a good idea to install this alongside Toolbox 3.0, or should I just stick to the Toolbox alone?

I just re-setup my SBT again, running latest firmware, with TT3.0.
Also got the Enhanced Digital Out app/kernel installed.

For some reason the buffer size isn't saved correctly.
It keeps sitting at the default 20000, even though the tt -i shows it's being set to 3400, and my manual action also shows it being set to 3400.
But after a reboot a tt -s shows it at 20000 again.

Think I had this without the EDO app/kernel as well, just never followed up on it.
Any reason why this might happen?

I'm new to this, and have just read my way through the thread. I have just purchased a Squeezebox Touch which will replace my SB3.

I intend applying Soundcheck's mods, however, regarding the EDO plugin, is it a good idea to install this alongside Toolbox 3.0, or should I just stick to the Toolbox alone?

If you want to run an USB DAC go for EDO.
The most important part that EDO does is a kernel update that updates the USB driver to avoid XRUNS.
As I said EDO has incorporated some of my mods. You'll make it half the way.

Soundquality improvements are not intendend according to Triode. ;)

Though I can tell you that without freely introducing 50% of my mods into EDO many DACs would have sound worse over EDO-USB then TT30-SPDIF.

If you get along with analog/SPDIF/Toslink go with my Toolbox.

Running both tools on one system is causing a messup. You need to tweak my Toolbox by yourself for now to get both tools working side by side.

Good luck.

Cheers

Reading that (again) I will remove the EDO kernel again.

Also got a problem playing AAC (m4a) files atm.
Flac plays fine though, so must be a server setting.

Update: removing the EDO kernel, updating/reinstalling the firmware, and installing TT3.0 shows the 3400us buffer size now.
Back to setting up everything again.

Last edited:
Thanks Soundcheck. I'm running spdif out, so I'll stick with just your toolbox. I read the thread on EDO over on Slimdevices forum and I have to say there was some rudeness directed at you that I thought was uncalled for. Thanks for the work you've done, and for sharing it with us.

Is there any value in updating the LMS to 7.8 beta?

If you want to run an USB DAC go for EDO.
The most important part that EDO does is a kernel update that updates the USB driver to avoid XRUNS.
As I said EDO has incorporated some of my mods. You'll make it half the way.

Soundquality improvements are not intendend according to Triode. ;)

Though I can tell you that without freely introducing 50% of my mods into EDO many DACs would have sound worse over EDO-USB then TT30-SPDIF.

If you get along with analog/SPDIF/Toslink go with my Toolbox.

Running both tools on one system is causing a messup. You need to tweak my Toolbox by yourself for now to get both tools working side by side.

Good luck.

Cheers

Oh, another question Soundcheck, are you running LMS on Windows 7 still? Mine is currently on an Ubuntu machine dedicated to it.

I'm running Ubuntu Server minimal - 12.04 - 64bit - with custom rt-kernel.
With some minor modifications it IMO performs best.

Beside that I use Ubuntu Server for HiRez Video streaming (Serviio).
There is no other DLNA server performing as good as Serviio towards
my Sony Bravia. (I tried latest JRMC 18 - DLNA - they are lightyears behind Serviio - JRMC performance is aweful.)

W8 (with Fidelizer) should be better then W7. Give it a try.
At least in my and some other friends setups it's a real good choice. Systems are getting closer and closer.

Cheers

Little confused

Hi folks,
I'm an unhappy owner of a Logitech Squeezebox touch.
Why unhappy? 'cause I'm distressed by the many mods that should make the Touch better than the basic.
Should I install the EDO mod for reading my 192/24 files?
Should I install the TT3.0?
Both?
I find many suggestions, changes to configuration and whatever else but...
...is there a synthesis of the best mods I can implement to simplify the life of the humans?

My systems:

Logitech SB (using the internal DAC)
Battery powered tube pre-amp (DIY)
PSE of two 845 per channel driven by one 2A3 (mono, DIY)
Dynaudio Contour 3.1 SE

Buy a decent DAC (don´t use the internal one) and forget about the rest.
This is the only real way to improve the sound, IMHO.

There is not any external DAC ( at any price) or USB interface - such as Wave-IO, Hiface, you name it - that I'm aware of out there,
which wouldn't respond to transport sided optimizations.

It doesn't matter what you run -- Windows,OSX,Linux -- a PC,MAC,Touch -
if you want to get the best out of your chain, you won't get around tweaking your transport.

People pay 400$ and more for a simple USB interface card. People spent hundreds of $ for audiophile SW players.

With a Touch and a little tweaking you can IMO beat many of them.

We're not at Computer Audiophile or AA over here. It's DIY-Audio. It can be expected that people invest at least a little effort to get
things going.

And please consider. Most of time has been spent by others figuring things out, writing them up and sharing them -- FOC.

What you folks do is a 20 minutes exercise. Writing waterproof SW that meets everybodies expectations requires weeks.

If you want to go the easy way buy a MAC +Decibel and a DAC.

In any case - Computer based audio - done right - means twenty times more effort, then good old CD playback with a simple CDP.

Last edited:
Is there any influence of EDO or TT on SQ when using I2S?

You mean I2S - tapped from Touch !?!?

Of course it'll have an impact.

Those transport optimisations impact the surrounding HW and SW. That usually affects several types of jitter, noise, timing varitiations, slew rates, ripple - you name it.

All this is NO voodoo. All this is physics.

If you turn off a screen, you turned off a huge part that shares the same
PS as your clock/I2S/DAC.
If you reduce the processor load you'll see it on the PS side as well as on the data jitter side. ASF. ASF.

The logic behind it is pretty simple. Less is more.

Ok, that's clear.
The I2S advantage is to omit coax or usb circuit, less is more :), right?

It depends!

I2S is not meant to be used as transmission line. I2S usually runs right into your DAC. It should be used for the
last 20cm only.

Slightest issues/distortions on your I2S connection/interface/timing can have a huge impact.

There's no way to get rid of those issues anymore, unless: You introduce an I2S reclocker.

Much easier - in many cases at least - is to recover a rather jittery/noisy SPDIF signal and generate a nice I2S signal from it.

If you follow the TP Buffallo threads, you'll find that quite some people prefer SPDIF over I2S on the Sabre DAC.

Of course all this can differ from setup to setup from DAC to DAC from SPDIF receiver to SPDIF receiver .....

How about ability to play hi-res files via I2S? Does EDO have something to do with I2S output?

EDO supports up to 192khz - over the digital outputs.

However. The Linux driver used for the Touch DAC needs to support it.
I honestly don't know if the driver supports it.

Last edited:
Klaus,
Keep on doing the good job. Great work!:sax:
EN

one question, pls. Most of the mods enabled (screen and IR aside) I am hesitant to go with the deamon killing mod. The language you use there (eg: "It goes that far that even remote access daemons are killed.") give me goose skin:(

will other mods remain as they were before (I need IR!) when press tt -k with no blood on my system ;)?

cheers!

one question, pls. Most of the mods enabled (screen and IR aside) I am hesitant to go with the deamon killing mod. The language you use there (eg: "It goes that far that even remote access daemons are killed.") give me goose skin:(

will other mods remain as they were before (I need IR!) when press tt -k with no blood on my system ;)?

cheers!

You just have to pull the plug once. After that everything will be OK.

If I kill e.g. a ssh daemon ( remote access) - you simply can't login again.

..So let me understand this correctly??

For the "Screen Off" mod to be at its best, you need to use TT3.0 to de-activate the screen, but ALSO physically unplug it from the main board as well..??

Thanks!
CM

Some people reported that physically disconnecting the screen gets you again a little further.

I skipped that mod. It's just more convenient to me to keep a quick access option via screen - just in case. And then, the cables/connectors are that flimsy that the chance you break em sooner or later are quite realistic.

I'm running my Touch face down with an open back to be able to do a surgery once in a while.