Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Soundcheck,

I have run my Ipad via CCK into an MDAC over USB using Flac Player on the Ipad. Very good, but the Flac files have to be stored on the Ipad of course.

The IPeng beta you tried that allows streaming is very interesting .. do you know when it will be released?

Jo

Soundcheck,

I have run my Ipad via CCK into an MDAC over USB using Flac Player on the Ipad. Very good, but the Flac files have to be stored on the Ipad of course.

The IPeng beta you tried that allows streaming is very interesting .. do you know when it will be released?

Jo

iPeng should feed your USB-DAC up to 48k already. You can try that.

You could also try Plugplayer if you have a DLNA/UPNP server up'n running.

I use Serviio (as UPNP/DLNA for video/pictures/(and optional audio))
and LMS for audio on a Linux platform.
Serviio IMO is a must-have when it comes to video streaming.

Plugplayer lets me control all upnp player devices ( E.g. I can use my Sony Tablet to control the iPad which is hooked up via USB to the stereo.).

Though I feel Plugplayer runs a bit bumpy and the data handling I would consider a hardly acceptable compromise compared to iPeng. It still works though.

I today talked to the iPeng folks.

They said they've got to trace one more issue down. Chances are high that
we'll see native Hirez support in the next release.

The way I run my iPad/iPeng works nice and stabil already (I won't step into that known issue).
I can stream 24/96 for hours without having issues.
Battery life becomes the main issue due to CCK, which prevents from charging the batteries while playing music.

Cheers

Hi Soundcheck,

Can you please explain the physical setup with Ipad/Ipeng and USB DAC.

Are you wired through a docking station or a cable or do you use wireless streaming through Apple TV?

If wired, don't you find using Ipeng wirelessly as remote for the Touch is more comfortable. You can sit in your sofa and build your playlist while listening.

Personally, I find that Logitech is a step ahead by the numerous ways you can control your music: touch screen, ir/wifi remote, smartphone/tablet or computer.

Cheers.

Hi Soundcheck,

Can you please explain the physical setup with Ipad/Ipeng and USB DAC.

Are you wired through a docking station or a cable or do you use wireless streaming through Apple TV?

If wired, don't you find using Ipeng wirelessly as remote for the Touch is more comfortable. You can sit in your sofa and build your playlist while listening.

Personally, I find that Logitech is a step ahead by the numerous ways you can control your music: touch screen, ir/wifi remote, smartphone/tablet or computer.

Cheers.

I just connect to the iPAd via camera connection kit. That's about it. The USB cable feeds the DAC.

I do agree that the Squeezebox server and control apps are one of the best if not the best streaming environment (free of charge !!) that you'll find out there.

On the other hand - in the morning - is just hook up the iPad and start up Tune-In, which I use for radio streaming. This way I don't have to start up the server. Tune-In - as a special purpose animal - I consider the
better choice for radio streaming.

My problem is that more and more boxes are piling up. Redundancy grows every other day. I'd like to stop that.

The basic question is why should I spent money for a Squeezebox, if I can get the same functionality with a player app at 3.99. I do own an iPad/iPhone/Droid anyway. And soon there'll be replacements. I'll have spares at hand that'll do the streaming job.

When it comes to remote control. It's correct that if I use the iPAd as transport I do have a problem that I loose my best remote control.

I do also have a Sony Tablet S and iPhone around.
That'll do for the time being.

Obviously I can still use the Touch. It's still there. ;)

My future investments will have to meet those USB audio criterias. If the iPhone 5 won't come with USB-Audio capability , I'll go for Samsung Galaxy SIII.

The same criterias I'll apply to DACs or digital interfaces. Those devices need
an option for external/battery power beside being buspowered and have to be compatible with the mobile devices.

Ok, I have googled cck and understand that you are using Ipad wired to the DAC.

Why such an ugly solution to have an Ipad dedicated to playing music and loosing any benefits of the primary use of a tablet: being portable and wireless?

Do you ambition to mimic a Squeezebox Touch based on Apple product :-( ? If yes, I would 100x prefer an Apple Mini connected to a DAC and also as a mediaserver to the TV... and to use Ipad as a nice wireless remote. But for audio, it looks then quite similar to controlling a Touch or Duet from Ipeng.

So again, what is the user benefit of using a wired Ipad? at least anything but the price :)

IMO the time of Mac Minis or other media (HTPC) PCs in the living room should be over soon (er or later).
What you'd need is a dedicated remote server, with plenty of transcoding muscles. Most todays TVs can stream via DLNA/UPNP. Though they need
a server which does the video transcoding for them.

I do have to admit that those DLNA servers and DLNA/UPNP support on the TV is not what I'd call ready for the market. You have to make a lot work by hacking this or that. And some features are just missing ( e.g. I still don't get subtitles via DLNA on my Sony TV).

If I compare that to e.g. J.River, which just plays everything you throw at it, I'm wondering if this DLNA/UPNP stuff will ever get there.

For the time being I've accepted certain limitations, because I've decided against a HTPC. J.River IMO has a major problem. The remote control. If there'd be an app that would reflect the J.River TheaterView as Control GUI, I might revise my decision against a HTPC.

HTPCs still have a serious problem to play protected BlueRays. That's another NoGo from my perspective.

However. We shouldn't forget that the online offerings for streaming HiRez video stuff is constantly growing. That'll be the future obviously. Todays features offered by those streaming services can't compete with the feature set you'll get with a dedicated BlueRay. And those services are IMO still much too expensive for what they offer.

Obviously you'll run into compromises at every corner. There's no perfect solution out there yet.

I have solved the quick "wake up in the morning" issue by the two following options and they work fine for me:
1) run the LMS on a NAS using scheduled power on/off
2) enable wake on LAN on my PC running LMS

The first is constantly available when it is a reasonable time to listen to music. The second is available within 30s whenever I need it.

Twas just an idea :) I thought one said that you could not get usb out of an ipod touch, and while looking for a line out to use the ipod in the car came across the usb bit too...

The set up at home is based on the SB Touch with a wireless bridge, if I was to spend I think it would be on another Opal, rather than any ipod gear... However, I'm aiming to cut out the bridge with a dedicated pc running LMC so should only need the one ethernet cable I have currently, anyway ;-) I think :)

HI,everyone

After many test to get the best result in musical quality
not just to say the sound is good, that's too easy,
but want it to be Delightful just as if you where near the artiste.
my config is :

trying buffer size

3400 : too dull, not involving
3450 :Best in my config, very musical with fullness and no sibilance
3500 :very good in sound quality but too harsh ( not musical)
4000 :very good in sound quality but too harsh (not musical)

i play my music with usb keys 64go and 32go
and wave files.
TT3 SPDIF out, Audio gd DAC, diy Amp,diy power supply...

The sound quality is different from the way you format the key,
in my case i do a format in Fat32 and cluster of 4k

I did not manage to get good result with bigger cluster
or even in NTFS the sound is too thin Lacking of fullness.

Hi.

Just an update.

1. iPeng 1.6 with 24/96 USB support has been handed in to Apple. It'll be soon out there.
2. Tenor 8802L USB interface chips are working now on the Touch. You just need to install the latest "Triode" kernel.
3. It also seems that newest Alsa comes with Tenor support soon.
There has been a lot of community pressure on the company who supplies
the Tenor chips to get the firmware fixed and to get the Linux/Android
support going. Search Head-Fi - "Audio-GD Tenor"

I think it is great to see that Tenor is moving into the right direction.
Soon we'll have Tenor and XMOS (already) working with the generic drivers out there. More and more manufacturers seem to choose these two brands.
Basically those chips will work on all platforms incl. Android. Great stuff.

A friend of mine installed my latest TT40 which I adpated to meet the
EDO setup.

He's using the Audio-GD DI DSP V2 with all bells and whistles feeding a Sabre via I2S. He is resampling to 192khz to make use of the reclocker.

EDO comes with 50% of my mods already included. The remaining stuff
which ended up in TT40-EDO, still show an impact. Though he says this TT version is more the cream on the cake. - Everything locks in, sound silky and smooth, without loss of detail, depth etc. He doesn't detect major steps up anymore. Makes sense to me. The better the interface, the less impact TT will and should have.

Obviously the interfaces are getting better and better. They are still not there yet. But I'm pretty confident that they'll make it.

BTW. This friend prefers the Audio-GD over Wave-IO. Perhaps it's the reclocking part of it what makes the difference. Wave-IO probably should consider to join forces with IAN -- the reclocker man over here.

Enjoy.

Cheers for the update, really interesting to try and keep up and understand your experiments and investigations. I'm getting the picture now as to where you are working towards and why, quite cutting edge stuff a!

Hay TT40 ! :)

Forgive my ignorance but what is EDO?

It seems a wonderful solution to have a box outside the pc that eliminates the need to play with the pc software settings and hardware. Cool !!
(hope I've not got the wrong end of the stick)

Cheers
DC

Hi,

I'm running TT3 and I'm very pleased with the results, thank you!

Does anybody know how to make the Touch play 192/24 Flac?. I read some lines somewhere that it does with a new ALSA driver. Is that correct?

Should I fiddle with Buffer Size? I tried 4000 and 3400 with same result. Strange is that it plays two songs on Bob Marleys Legend (baught from HD Tracks), Get up, Stand up and I shoot the sheriff and both those songs are about half the size of the others. Unfortunately I cant see the sampling frecuenzy in Properties. Other tunes it says Unsupported Sampling Frequenzy.

Btw I'm running server side decoding with those settings in File Types:

best
Staffan

Last edited:
Hi folks.

Just to let you know:

After some more tweaking and testing (EDO, Wave-IO, Audio-GD DI V1/V2)

I'm back to running the Touch standalone feeding my DDX320 Full Digital
Amp.

But there's been one new thing about it.

I'm running Toslink now.

What I did was tweaking the Toslink receiver and transmitter - by mainly
hooking up right to the plastic chassis some real good low ESR decoupling/buffer caps.
If you look at the SB transmitter, there is no decoupling/buffering at all. :rolleyes:
Logitech couldn't have done it much worse.

My conclusion. The bad rep that Toslink carries is IMO mainly because of poor implementations. If it's done right , you'll face a huge advantge over cable due to its 100% isolation. The sometimes mentioned disavantages of
noise being generated be the conversion and the optical reflections in the air gap are not that much of a problem - at least in the direct comparison to my wired SPDIF alternatives.

Basically I feed my DDX320 via Toslink and my Behringer DCX2496 (sub crossover) via SPDIF. That works extremely well.

Cheers