Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Yep, it's quite confusing to me as well, but at least Soundcheck is straight in his logic. Display modification is enabled, so you're unable to see if the IR receiver, and thus the remote works, right ?
So in the same logic, the WLAN should still be working, allthough you don't use it.

Bloody hell - I thought I'd just wasted £70 on a wireless bridge as I couldn't hear much of a difference when I plugged the Touch back in. Now I understand what tt -s is really saying in respect of Soundchecks mods I reversed the WLAN setting so it is indeed OFF.

Bliss - the difference was plain from the first bar. More dynamics and a significantly clearer (and maybe deeper) baseline.

Wow - back to the music and a wee glass of Woodford's bourbon methinks . . .

Thanks

Bloody hell - I thought I'd just wasted £70 on a wireless bridge as I couldn't hear much of a difference when I plugged the Touch back in. Now I understand what tt -s is really saying in respect of Soundchecks mods I reversed the WLAN setting so it is indeed OFF.

Bliss - the difference was plain from the first bar. More dynamics and a significantly clearer (and maybe deeper) baseline.

Wow - back to the music and a wee glass of Woodford's bourbon methinks . . .

Thanks
So if i`m understanding this right, to turn "off" WLAN it should show "enabled"

I just finished reading this entire thread...

I am half motivated and half intimidated, but I am ready to get started. As I have had previous success with battery power I will probably set that up first. Is it ok to deliver 6vdc to the Touch, or does it have to be 5 volts?

Thanks to all contributors, especially soundcheck of course!

Joe

Hi!
I just crashed my LCD after doing some HW mods. I also did a reset - so no SSH anymore. Has anyone an idea how I can reach the Touch to do Klaus's mods again?????

Thanks!

Not sure what "crasned my LCD" means but to get connected to the Touch again via SSH session or WINSCP you hold in the power button for a reset. Then go through setup again and re-enable remote connection through the setup menus.
Larry

Not sure what "crasned my LCD" means but to get connected to the Touch again via SSH session or WINSCP you hold in the power button for a reset. Then go through setup again and re-enable remote connection through the setup menus.
Larry

Larry thank you for the quick answer. LCD crashed meens that the screen of the Touch stays all white, so you can't see anything on it. I tried to do exactly what you told "blind" (even with a second Touch to compare, which belongs to a friend and I promised not to open it), but no chance to find the right menu.
So has anybody another idea? I also looked where I could get a new or used screen but till now didn't find anything.
Thanks, Stefan

My suggestion would be first to try to get logged in to your SB via SSH. Once you get there, I believe some troubleshooting can be done.

That was exactly the problem: how to get the ssh access again. I have solved it!!!

I had to do a factory reboot with both SB's than I could use the remote control for both simultaneously.

Anyway - I have to give back the second SB so for the future it would be good to have an new screen or to know an other method how to active ssh again after a factory reset.

The screen connector is really physically broken - not possible to repair it. If someone has a screen and don't need it anymore - welcome!

After all: soundstage and dynamics are even more great with the HW mods (added some Blackgates to the internal clock and the SPDIF output buffer...)

Thanks for help! Stefan

The menu path to enable remote connection again is Settings -> Advanced -> Remote Login -> Enable SSH
IIRC there was conjecture early on that a script on a memory card could be written to reset this parameter and inserted in the Touch memory card slot to accomplish this and get around this convention. I think that it was John Swenson who proposed this but I don't remember if this was ever tested.
Sorry, but if you can't re-enable remote login you are fairly screwed.
Larry

Hi folks.

Everything OK? ;)

A little update:

I've been working quite some hours on server optimizations.

First W7 (server) then W8 and now back to Linux (Ubuntu Oneiric server) . Conclusion1: Linux as a server - with the right configuration though -- beats them all. ( I'm not talking about low muscles NAS devices based on Linux!!!)

Conclusion2: Server do have a severe impact on the clients. I know it sounds weired. But you can trust me. I'm not talking nonsense. Asynchronous transfers won't isolate from timing variations. ( the same is valid for async USB DACs).

Those of you who run W7-Fidelizer-TCPOptimizer should try W8++.

That'll be a step ahead. I won't outline my Linux setup for now.

Next hint:

Fileformats:

I believed that decoding flacs on the server would cure all my
problems related to realtime processing (flac decoding) on the client/PC.

I was wrong.

Now the news: Offlline decoded flacs or .wavs, even if stored on a remote server do sound clearly better. ( you know what I'm talkin about if talking
about "clearly"!?!? ;) )

You should give it a try.

The hint of the month:

For those of you who run flacs and own a dbpoweramp license.

You might want to re-encode/re-rip some testfiles to "uncompressed lossless" flac. It's an option you'll find within dbpa

What you get is a flac with all header information and tags and PCM/WAV data inside. Great stuff.

Put those ul-flacs on the server and listen.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Will an upgraded 5V supply improve the sonic qualities of the digital byte stream?
I am not using the analogue output of the Touch. The Touch is strictly feeding
my DAC via RCA (75 Ohm).

There is a lot of mixed discussion about this. Some say it helps, but only in a subtle way, some do not hear it due to the much nicer switching PS supplied with the Touch. John Swensen designed a PS for the device and he knows these things extremely well, so I'd follow that design if I were to use any such device.

You might want to re-encode/re-rip some testfiles to "uncompressed lossless" flac. It's an option you'll find within dbpa

What you get is a flac with all header information and tags and PCM/WAV data inside. Great stuff.

Soundcheck, have you done any experiments to see if a direct WAV rip sounds better than either uncompressed FLAC, or a FLAC which had been converted back to WAV by dBpoweramp?