Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Hi folks.

TT 3.0 - the tool - is ready for release now.
I hopefully got all the little issues fixed.

I now need to prepare the documentation stuff around it.

It'll take me a day or two.

The feature list reads as follows:

* heavily improved installation process
* full integration of all mods into just one tool
* help function

sound related:

* task priority tuning
* networking parameter tuning
* networking configuration related adjustments
* kernel parameter adjustments
* screen on/off during operations (no more reboot required)
* infrared on/off
* exclusive audio routing
* the daemon killer (you'll love that one)
* volume lock at 100 % (for testing purposes)

* tested on systems up to SBS 7.7.0

Stay tuned.

I'll be back.

Last edited:
Hi soundcheck,

Just got a squeezebox today. And ofcourse I would like to try your toolbox.

Would you suggest I get used to the sound of the touch before I do any updates?

In any case I tried to use WinSCP. And as described I used:

Start WinScp.

1. Enter the Touch IP address in the "Hostname" field.
2. As user you enter "root", as password you enter "1234"
3. As protocol you select "SCP"
4. Press "Login" and confirm the pop-up (ssh key generation) with yes.

I found the ip address for the touch. But are the username and password really as given? And what port number should I use.

I'm asking because the connection gets refused.

Network error: Software caused connection abort.

Last edited:
Hi soundcheck,

Just got a squeezebox today. And ofcourse I would like to try your toolbox.

Would you suggest I get used to the sound of the touch before I do any updates?

You should start with the stock Touch to get used to it. But don't overdo things.

I can tell you operating the box at stock level I consider quite disappointing and boring. You'll get what you pay for. ;)
It requires a certain ambition level to make that device sing. The good thing about is that
the device got the potential.

Logitech should have launched a no frill black box digital only streaming device as lean as it possibly can get. I wouldn't expect such a device to cost more then 100$. They
could sell these like mushrooms.

Cheers

I can tell you operating the box at stock level I consider quite disappointing and boring. You'll get what you pay for.
I have had the Squeezebox 3 for years. Always through ethernet. I've been using a RAKK DAC mk2. Had a linear psu (which I'm using for the touch). And I found the touch out of the box better as a transport.

Cliché coming up: It sounds more analog. Less shouty. Quite suprised already especially since I only use it as a transport.

Soundcheck

I have followed with interest this thread with a "slanting eyes", because I'm running a setup with the Squeezebox Duet and not Touch as this thread is about. I have studied the "Modification Outlines" five main points to improve the performance of the Touch. My question is: Which points to the Touch modifications can directly be used to improve the Squeezebox Duet?

Section 5.1 (replace the power unit), I am well familiar with, and I am in the process to complete a shunt regulated unit (Salas).
But what about all the other points mentioned in "Modification Outline"? Allows anyone to be transfered to a Duet? What about the new version that are "around the corner"??

Eivind Stillingen

THANK YOU KLAUS!!!

Let me know if you run into problems. ;)

Congratulations and sincere thanks for releasing TT3.0 with the very complete documentation! No problem downloading the file...

I will be going through the installation/testing/listening process today and I will comment on my results in a few hours.

In the meantime, THANK YOU KLAUS for all your hard work and time on this project!

Cheers!

First Impressions - TT 3.0

After downloading Soundcheck's new modification toolkit 3.0 and installing it without any problems thanks to the very clear step-by-step documentation provided on the blog, I am totally "blown away" with the very obvious improvements to my listening experience.

I have no hesitancy to recommend these software mods to owners of the Logitech Touch... It is not difficult to implement Klaus' recommendations and the results are most gratifying.

Due to my wireless setup, the only mod I have not able been to implement is the LAN mode. Most of my listening is streaming from Spotify Premium (OGG Vorbis 320 kbps) and to me the listening experience clearly surpasses or is equal to listening to my collection of CDs streaming from the SBS. (of course, this is a totally subjective impression - trust your own ears!).

Again, warmest congrats to Klaus for all his hard work in developing this toolkit for us!

Hi Klaus,

Can you please explain what the Daemon Killer Mod does?

Also, I am not clear about what you mean by "need to rerun it every time you reboot or restart the system"

Do you mean, I need to rerun it when I turn off the Squeezebox touch, or that I need to rerun it when I restart my PC?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Erin.

It does what it says. It kills daemons. ;)

Under Unix quite some (system-) processes are sitting in
the background - more or less idle.

These are called daemons.

There are e.g.

syslog,ksyslog,inet,ssh,dropbear daemons.

Some of them are important of course. Though our audio works without
them.

I kill all of them. That's why you get logged out and the system becomes
not accessible anymore.

To get back to "normal" TT3.0 operation you either plug the cable or push the black button on the back (<5s to "avoid" a factory reset) .

I'll rephrase the text a little. You're not the first one asking. ;)

Enjoy.

Last edited: