Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Great to see that you also managed.

Since a week not one serious problem on the code side. :D And all modified boxes seem to run pretty stable. Hughh.

FYI:
If you stream 24/96 and convert to PCM on the server.
Songinfo will still show 1411kb/s (which would be 44.1/16). It's not a feature. Your data won't be downsampled either. Logitech just won't manage to figure that rate out as it seems according to the designer.

2. The chipmonk issue seems to be existing on some stations. I need to follow that up. My mp3 radio stations are running without problems.

I made a change to my power supply that I thought I should share. I was using a high quality laboratory linear power supply to feed the squeezebox with 5V. This thing is rated at 5A, and is worth several hundred dollars. It made a very noticeable change from the stock switching PS.

I got a superteddy 5V and have it in it's own enclosure within 2 inches of the touch now. I am feeding it with 12V from the same power supply. The superteddyreg has 2 different stages of filters at the output. The configuration is now very similar to Klaus', where the cable is very short leading into the touch so as to limit the RF interference that is introduced to the system after a filter stage. Klaus was right; the difference is bigger than changing to a high quality linear power supply from the stock wall wart.

Squeezebox Touch + iPad

I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I'm totally new to this concept (well, not totally as I was using an airport express previously)

Here's my plan: I'm ripping all my cd's on my Dell laptop using dbPoweramp with FLAC encoding. I'm waiting for my Squeezebox Touch. I'm getting an iPad and intend to load PureMusic. I'm planning to copy all the music to the iPad and stream from IT to the Squeezebox, using the iPad (with iPeng) as the controller.

Does this work?

I read your Tool box blog. do I need to do that? Confusing.

I'm planning to copy all the music to the iPad and stream from IT to the Squeezebox, using the iPad (with iPeng) as the controller.

Does this work?

I read your Tool box blog. do I need to do that? Confusing.

Does your suggested setup work? No. You need a pc/mac/windows home server/nas to store your music and run the squeezeserver software. Af far as I know you can not run it on an iPad. You can use iPeng as a remote control.

Do you need the toolbox? No, its not required. Yes, you can "squeeze" an extra drop of sound quality from the squeezebox.

Scanspeakman

I've been going back and forth between the modified Touch and my Oppo DVD player which I was using as a transport. The modified Touch with digital out via a Black Cat Veloce digital cable to my dac falls short of the Oppo using the same cable and dac. The soundstage is smaller by comparison and the music is less life like. My modifications are not optimal since I've had to utilize a wireless bridge to get music to my living room( I have a 1m cat 6A cable going from the bridge to the Touch )nor have I replaced the original power supply with a high quality linear supply. Perhaps replacing the power supply will make the difference in sound quality but given the costs of these power supplies I'm hesitant to make that kind of purchase. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done a comparison between their touch and traditional transport, particularly if utilizing a wireless bridge.

I've been going back and forth between the modified Touch and my Oppo DVD player which I was using as a transport. The modified Touch with digital out via a Black Cat Veloce digital cable to my dac falls short of the Oppo using the same cable and dac. The soundstage is smaller by comparison and the music is less life like. My modifications are not optimal since I've had to utilize a wireless bridge to get music to my living room( I have a 1m cat 6A cable going from the bridge to the Touch )nor have I replaced the original power supply with a high quality linear supply. Perhaps replacing the power supply will make the difference in sound quality but given the costs of these power supplies I'm hesitant to make that kind of purchase. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done a comparison between their touch and traditional transport, particularly if utilizing a wireless bridge.

Hi there.

I buy your story.

Though I guess it's gonna be tough to nail down what's causing the actual differences.

I can tell you that e.g. only the SPDIF interface can make a huge difference. A poor SPDIF implementation, respectively poorly matching endpoints of that SPDIF connection can cause "severe" sound degradation.
(I'm working on this right now -- friends of mine reporting great improvement potential in that area)

I can also tell you that there is some serious sound potential on the Touch software side to gain.

And of course you havn't done all mods.

I'm almost sure that we'll beat your Oppo sooner or later. ;)

(BTW: Isn't the Oppo running a Sabre inside? How does that one compare? What DAC are you using?)

Hi there,
I do use the SBT and tt2.0. I am very lucky with this setup. Thank you very much Klaus. I use digital out (spdif) but I have to connect it to the AES/EBU input of my sounddevice.
At the moment I use a 75 Ohm Cable with a Cinch connector on one side and a XLR on the other side. The unsued pin of the XLr is conected to the shield of the cinch.
Is there a better way to solve this?
I have no possibility to route the source other than from spdif to XLR.
Thanks
Heiner

Hi there,
I do use the SBT and tt2.0. I am very lucky with this setup. Thank you very much Klaus. I use digital out (spdif) but I have to connect it to the AES/EBU input of my sounddevice.
At the moment I use a 75 Ohm Cable with a Cinch connector on one side and a XLR on the other side. The unsued pin of the XLr is conected to the shield of the cinch.
Is there a better way to solve this?
I have no possibility to route the source other than from spdif to XLR.
Thanks
Heiner

AES has 110R impedance and uses a slighty different protocol (different control bits).
You're facing an impedance mismatch, causing probably tons of reflections. First thing you'd need would be an impedance converter. I think Neutrik sells those. If your receiver can handle those SPDIF control bits you'd need to find out.

Annoucement

Hi folks, dear Beta Test-Team!!!

We're getting closer to the weekend.

To keep U busy I just launched the

soundcheck's TT Beta Blog

You'll find over there some preliminary modifications, which are not yet part of the toolbox.

Today I start with the first one.

The result by implementing this first mod is nothing less but ...
...you better listen by yourself.

What we'll do is turning off the "Squeeze" internal volume control. Sounds trivial, doesn't it. ;)

No folks. No more remote control from iPeng, browser or whatever app. This mod applies to people with external volume control only.

All others - the ones doing software volume control from inside their squeezebox solution exclusively - trying to run this modification will blow their speakers, system and ears. So you better stay away from it.

I warned you! (There's no safety belt!)

(I've been thinking for quite some time if to publish this because of that
associated risk for you.)

Let's run a quick "beta" test about it.

Please let me know what you think about the risk and of course your results.

Cheers

Hi Klaus,

Once again thank you for sharing your findings. I only offer my own experience so we can compare notes.

I've tried the touch with the two dacs I have on hand, (one with a BNC connection) and the results are the same--the sound stage is compressed and the music is lacking 'something'. This leads me to believe it is the wireless bridge configuration that is the cause for what I'm hearing.

My amps are class D and already walk the line of being slightly uninvolving. The sound through the Touch in my configuration takes it over the line and makes the sound uninspiring for long term listening.

Believe me, I want this to work so I can free my living room of all the associated hi-fi clutter. At this point I have to consider whether it's worth it financially -- e.g. the power supply-- to continue exploring this route or if it would suit me better to buy a USB to spdf converter and run a dedicated computer to my dac.

In the meantime I'm going to move the computer to my living room and experiment with assigning a static ip address to run the Touch wired directly
to my computer.

p.s. The oppo player I'm using is an older model, a 970hd, so no sabre chip.

Hi folks, dear Beta Test-Team!!!

We're getting closer to the weekend.

To keep U busy I just launched the

soundcheck's TT Beta Blog

You'll find over there some preliminary modifications, which are not yet part of the toolbox.

Today I start with the first one.

The result by implementing this first mod is nothing less but ...
...you better listen by yourself.

What we'll do is turning off the "Squeeze" internal volume control. Sounds trivial, doesn't it. ;)

No folks. No more remote control from iPeng, browser or whatever app. This mod applies to people with external volume control only.

All others - the ones doing software volume control from inside their squeezebox solution exclusively - trying to run this modification will blow their speakers, system and ears. So you better stay away from it.

I warned you! (There's no safety belt!)

(I've been thinking for quite some time if to publish this because of that
associated risk for you.)

Let's run a quick "beta" test about it.

Please let me know what you think about the risk and of course your results.

Cheers

Just applied this mod...and just have 2 words to say...'THANKS' and 'WOW' ;)

I've set up my Touch wired directly to my Macbook Pro and the sound is considerably better. I haven't tested it against my former transport but it's plainly obvious this is a far superior implementation when judged against my previous wireless bridge configuration. It sounds good enough that I'm willing to purchase a high quality linear supply and pursue further modifications. Thanks again for sharing your work.

Last edited: