Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

I'm sending all music as PCM, including 24/96 flac downloads to the Touch and I don't hear a dropoff in sound quality nor do I notice a great improvement over Red Book rips either.
FWIW, I also stream 24/96 pcm to my SBTouch, and I like the sound I get on 24/96, but the no. of albums in this formats I have is limited, and most are well recorded.

The difference in my setup is that all the pcm is eq'd with brutefir before being set to the SBTouch. For a zero cost add-on, brutefirdrc and the associated measurement software are a fantastic upgrade for the squeezebox. It support older boxes, so for SBT users a fair amount of manual setup is needed, and as always room measurement and correct setup of room filters is non-trivial.

Many thanks soundcheck for your Touch mods. I did most of them, no wlan, decode flac to pcm on server, install script on the Touch. I hope you soon find a way to post the second modifications. This week my ps audio DL3 will arrive, looking forward how this sounds with the touch :). But already very happy with the V1 mods.

I am using SBT since few months with version 1 of mods, but i didnt tested the screen mod.
Today i applied for the first time the "screen" mod. One more veil from the sound is gone.

Thank You for Your great work Soundcheck :)

I also hope, that you will find soon the way to publish the mods.

I found those... Thanks.
Having the Touch for about a week (with linear power supply) there was a nice sound improvement replacing the Synology Nas > laptop > M-audio Transit > optical to Beresford Caiman DAC > Bryston B60 SST > Seas super mini monitor with Adire Sub setup i have. (The Touch replaced the laptop and Transit)
After the mods there is more improvement!
Not one of "night and day difference" but better bass, more clarity, space and better detail. I like it very much.
The above is audible for me, my girlfriend thinks i am crazy ;-)
Unfortuatly i do not have the buffer or screen mods. I think they can make an improvement also.
Thank you Soundcheck for the effort you have made.
Maybe there are some good new year plans for 2011. I will keep an eye at your blog.

I've found the mods via the link on #95. It is an older version, without the buffer and display off mods.
Technically, the installation went without problems. I could verify that the WLAN controller has been disabled. The FLACS are streamed in PCM (1,5 more load on the network) from an XP PC to the SBT. No dropouts or other problems with streaming (normal and high-res files).

I am very pleased with the result. I get now a more open sound, more details and timbres from the SBT. Thank you Klaus for doing this good work.

I would really like to try the "screen off" and "buffer" mods. Could somebody supply me the instructions?

I've found the mods via the link on #95. It is an older version, without the buffer and display off mods.
Technically, the installation went without problems. I could verify that the WLAN controller has been disabled. The FLACS are streamed in PCM (1,5 more load on the network) from an XP PC to the SBT. No dropouts or other problems with streaming (normal and high-res files).

I am very pleased with the result. I get now a more open sound, more details and timbres from the SBT. Thank you Klaus for doing this good work.

I would really like to try the "screen off" and "buffer" mods. Could somebody supply me the instructions?

Same here, it would help me out.
Thanks

Hi guys.

I received quite some private mails recently asking this or that.
It'll be hard to manage all those p2p contacts.

That's why I decided to put most of my mods up on the web again.

I'm working heavily on Touch Toolbox 2.0. I don't want to handout unstable material.

I encountered several weired things while testing the mods and scripts.
At one point 24/96 wouldn't play until I reloaded and updated the firmware.
I did find some changes in the latest firmware - which I had to address.
Let see how I'm gonna manage to handle different firmware versions.

As I said earlier- the basic ideas and mods are ready since quite some time - most of the efforts though go now into making things idiot-proof and documenting the stuff.

Some stuff I added too 2.0:

1. With 2.0 you'll find a tool which disables/enables all mods with one command. There is no more need to restore the whole system and do
the setup over and over. It makes AB testing much easier. ;)
2. There'll also be a status tool included. It tells
you, if the respective mod is enabled/disabled and what buffer size was chosen, which output is active asf.
3. Installation becomes more straight forward: With 2.0 I'll supply a tar archive, with all scripts included.
You just have to unpack it and run some init commands.
Prior to that, you'd need to load newest stable firmware, respectively
reload it to avoid conflicts of the old mods with the new stuff.
4. You'll find a tool to switch easily outputs incl. USB on and off.
5. ...

My plan is to have it all up'n running next Sunday. Thx for your patience.

Cheers

P:S: Good to see that more and more people do communicate their positive
experiences. ;)

Thank you for all your excellent work. After reading the comments from other Touch users, I purchased a 50 ft patch cable to try your modifications. It took of all 1 minute to decide that ethernet (vs wireless) was the way to go. That work was completed today. :)

Tomorrow I'll load your 1.0 mods and look forward to 2.0. With your work, the Touch is indeed an excellent transport.

Folks.

I always thought that roughly 20s of buffer, galvanic isolation on the jack and a good cable should be it. I can tell you that the whole networking subject won't end at the LAN vs. WLAN discussion. There's "much" more to gain. ;)

A little hint ( out of several ) for the ones who are forced to use WLAN: Shut WPA en-/decryption off. (Who cares about security ?!?!) :D

Cheers

Ups!
I tried to install the rcS.local script and everything worked fine until restart of SBT...Now I get only Logitech logo on the screen and nothing happens, after 2 min it turns off completly
I cannot login via WinSCP to delete the file, it gives timeout
Any ideeas?

LE
Ufff...I found the "reset to factory" button :) Thumb up for Logitech :)

Last edited: