Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Looking for TT 3.0... again ...

Hi,
I would certainly go with Soundcheck Pi project if I had some time to go for a new project, (I undoubtly trust him because reading his blog, all advices he gives sound highly pertinent).
But all I can afford for the time being is updating my good old SBT !
Would be highly appreciated if one of you could help downloading the TT 3.0 :) !

AES/I2S output from the Logitech SqueezeBox Touch

Good 'ole touch ( now even more tricked out :) ...or f'd up :p ) and yesss it's not U.FL connections, maybe for practice later...

I dust off the touch and added i2s out, pretty straight forward 30 min job. Doing some i2s work and thought something other than a pi/kali/hifiberry as a source would be good.

Discovered the i2s is limited to 24/96 and is also disabled along with the AK4420 DAC chip (an EDO option)...

Went back in, looking for a 2nd 24/192 i2s feeding the SPDIF... couldn't find it, or a chip providing SPDIF... while it's in digital out only mode, those i2s lines have no signal, except MCLK.

...or maybe I'm tapping into i2s too far down the chain... hmmmm

So just really curious, if anyone still remembers the touch hardware... where's the 2nd i2s, and what the heck generates the SPDIF... the CPU?!?

PS. apologies, bit of a blast from the past :D

I see nobody answered you... I am also trying to get I2S /AES from this device in order to connect to the external DAC. Did it work for you? can you please share the details about where the 4 signals were taken from on the Touch board? Thanks!

I have several slimdevices all Squeezebox Dual

Hello leonidp,

So I have several slimdevices all Squeezebox Dual (SD). Not sure I understand since I only saw a Touch in a demo when Logitech first demo them at a MacWorld conference long time ago. Not sure why I posted here? Or did I? Oh well.

The SD has a both Toslink and coaxial S/PDIF. I am using the Coaxial to my Parasound ZDAC, it has three inputs so OPT (Toslink) is connected to my MacPro tower, the Coaxial is from the SD, not using the USB connection. There is also a Toslink splitter not sure why but it might be going to my Yamaha Receiver. This is my Office setup and it is seen lots of experimenting in the last 25 years.

The thing is Logitech has had manuals on the device still up on the internet, there is a large following on the software side slim devices. The thing that is not know is I think the Touch was drop because of the iPhone/iPad (iPeng)/Android apps (logitech software) that did all the things the Touch did. So with a USB Adapter or a direct DAC like a low power DragonFly Red DAC, but expensive and headphone output, you could do the the same thing.

I have most of the info on alternatives including Raspberry Pi. It was 4 AM here when I started this and now it is after 5. If you need more information I can look it up later and send it! Just not on the Touch direction, sorry.

Cheers,

bc

Last edited:
Late 2021 Thread Retread

Hi all,

The topic of SB Touch mods is still relevant. However, the posts in this thread are olde enough that they have dropped/outdated links to the photo files. Time passes.

I'd like to bypass the analog output caps on my SB Touch, but can't see any posts that identify the correct caps to bypass, either via photos, or by naming the cap ID via the PCB board nomenclature. To me, the PCB circuits are too difficult to trace.

Can anyone help me identify which caps are to be bypassed? I easily pulled the Touch apart and see both tiny SMD caps and some larger pairs of Oscons of 220uf and 16uf near the analog jacks.

Thanks!