Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 77 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2012, 04:07 PM   #761
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry crimmins View Post
Asynch USB is superior sound quality when using EDO.
Larry
If life would be that easy.

Wave-IO is a pretty well regarded async USB interface.
Audio-GD V2 is async too.

Tests were run with EDO and my TT50 on both of them.

But as I said. I'm sure that not very many people will experience well
implemented Toslinks+Toslink receiver chips.

Your point of view will be in line with many others peoples views and experiences (and USB DAC manufacturers) .

But that doesn't mean that this direction is the only direction.

I'm more than happy for now. I finally got rid of all those USB interfaces, just left with my Touch and the DDX.

Enjoy. I do - with best sound ever from least expensive equipment ever at my place.

Cheers

Last edited by soundcheck; 12th September 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 16th September 2012, 03:22 PM   #762
diyAudio Member

From a Newbie -

First of all, this is an amazing thread and I am exceedingly grateful to Mr. Soundcheck for his knowledge, creativity and extreme generosity.

Question - Am I correct to understand that the best hardware setup for the SBT is to have it hardwired to a computer that would act solely as a dedicated music server for the SBT?

I have an "extra" MacBookPro here and I could set it up in my listening room for just this purpose.

Right now I'm streaming music wirelessly to the SBT from my home-office MacPro, but it sounds like a dedicated server in the listening room will be a better option.

Thanks, again, to everyone who's contributed to this thread!
Old 17th September 2012, 03:43 PM   #763
diyAudio Member

Anyone?
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:49 AM   #764
diyAudio Member

Think about converting it into a Vortexbox! A Logitech server is built in.
I have recently bought an Android Tablet and the Orange Squeeze app. to control my SW modded Touch [many thanks, Soundcheck]. This has made my Atom powered netbook redundant, so I have downloaded the free Vortexbox 2.1 iso file and burned a cd from it. I then loaded this Linux program and have converted the netbook into a combined server and an automatic cd ripper that links to the net and tags your flac files. The Touch and the Vortexbox are linked to a Netgear 5 way Switch via short Cat 6 cables and so talk to each other. My Netgear router has a 10 metre ethernet link to the Switch [upstairs to downstairs].
Early days yet but it all seems very good. So good that yesterday I installed a much larger hard drive. My desktop computer can be off. With the router on, my Android tablet controls the flac files on my Vortexbox being streamed by cable to the Touch.
Remember to apply Soundcheck's Server Based Decoding [1.6] and other settings to the Vortexbox Logitech Server.
Use the advance settings while loading the Vortexbox program or all your mac partitions will be lost.
Old 23rd September 2012, 03:02 PM   #765
diyAudio Member

Klauss - can you advise how I get both analogue and digital outputs running on the Touch,. When I run tt -i this results in onlythe digital outoput working.
Old 25th September 2012, 06:21 AM   #766
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broughton View Post
Klauss - can you advise how I get both analogue and digital outputs running on the Touch,. When I run tt -i this results in onlythe digital outoput working.
Yep. Remove the toolbox.

Disabling the output tweak will make the Toolbox more or less useless.
Old 25th September 2012, 08:57 AM   #767
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchPhoto View Post

I have an "extra" MacBookPro here and I could set it up in my listening room for just this purpose.

If you already have that MacBookPro (Display, player of your choice ...), why not just add a decent USB DAC and skip the Squeezebox ?
Old 25th September 2012, 10:06 AM   #768
le´flu is offline le´flu  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Klaus,

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
I'm running Toslink now.
What I did was tweaking the Toslink receiver and transmitter - by mainly
hooking up right to the plastic chassis some real good low ESR decoupling/buffer caps.
i never opened the SBT but i´m convinced that this point is an important one
to do. What kind of Cap and what capacitance did you use for decoupling?
Do you have any pictures of the tweaked toslink receiver?

One more Question: are there news on devices for the SBS? As i remember
your favorite system is Win7 ? On what kind of PC ? Will USB-harddisk work
fine?

Greetings Ulf
Old 27th September 2012, 03:10 PM   #769
Kuro is offline Kuro  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I'm using the new Legato II USB-S/PDIF converter from AR-T. I'm driving it via SBT+EDO.

It is a battery powered device, and it charges the SLA battery via an external charger when the USB bus is powered down or when the USB link is inactive. I found that when SBT powers down, it does not turn off the USB port. Is there a way to implement a feature in SBT Toolbox such that it powers down the USB port on SBT standby?
Old 29th September 2012, 08:45 PM   #770
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk7 View Post
If you already have that MacBookPro (Display, player of your choice ...), why not just add a decent USB DAC and skip the Squeezebox ?
Thanks, George.

That's what I'm thinking, but as I'm new to the world of higher-end digital audio I have a lot to learn.

I guess I was wondering if there was anything to be gained by using the Squeezebox + DAC instead of the MBPro + DAC.

Thank you.

Hide this!Advertise here!