Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 75 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2012, 07:54 AM   #741
Jo308 is offline Jo308  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Soundcheck,

I have run my Ipad via CCK into an MDAC over USB using Flac Player on the Ipad. Very good, but the Flac files have to be stored on the Ipad of course.

The IPeng beta you tried that allows streaming is very interesting .. do you know when it will be released?

Jo
Old 16th July 2012, 08:37 AM   #742
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo308 View Post
Soundcheck,

I have run my Ipad via CCK into an MDAC over USB using Flac Player on the Ipad. Very good, but the Flac files have to be stored on the Ipad of course.

The IPeng beta you tried that allows streaming is very interesting .. do you know when it will be released?

Jo
iPeng should feed your USB-DAC up to 48k already. You can try that.

You could also try Plugplayer if you have a DLNA/UPNP server up'n running.

I use Serviio (as UPNP/DLNA for video/pictures/(and optional audio))
and LMS for audio on a Linux platform.
Serviio IMO is a must-have when it comes to video streaming.

Plugplayer lets me control all upnp player devices ( E.g. I can use my Sony Tablet to control the iPad which is hooked up via USB to the stereo.).

Though I feel Plugplayer runs a bit bumpy and the data handling I would consider a hardly acceptable compromise compared to iPeng. It still works though.
Old 16th July 2012, 01:28 PM   #743
diyAudio Member

I today talked to the iPeng folks.

They said they've got to trace one more issue down. Chances are high that
we'll see native Hirez support in the next release.

The way I run my iPad/iPeng works nice and stabil already (I won't step into that known issue).
I can stream 24/96 for hours without having issues.
Battery life becomes the main issue due to CCK, which prevents from charging the batteries while playing music.

Cheers
Old 16th July 2012, 06:58 PM   #744
diyAudio Member

Hi Soundcheck,

Can you please explain the physical setup with Ipad/Ipeng and USB DAC.

Are you wired through a docking station or a cable or do you use wireless streaming through Apple TV?

If wired, don't you find using Ipeng wirelessly as remote for the Touch is more comfortable. You can sit in your sofa and build your playlist while listening.

Personally, I find that Logitech is a step ahead by the numerous ways you can control your music: touch screen, ir/wifi remote, smartphone/tablet or computer.

Cheers.
Old 16th July 2012, 09:01 PM   #745
Jo308 is offline Jo308  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Soundcheck I have LMS on my Vortexbox as the server.

have tried plugplayer and it was OK but thought it was a bit clunky.

Will buy Ipeng and give that a go later.

Jo
Old 17th July 2012, 06:31 AM   #746
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdplancke View Post
Hi Soundcheck,

Can you please explain the physical setup with Ipad/Ipeng and USB DAC.

Are you wired through a docking station or a cable or do you use wireless streaming through Apple TV?

If wired, don't you find using Ipeng wirelessly as remote for the Touch is more comfortable. You can sit in your sofa and build your playlist while listening.

Personally, I find that Logitech is a step ahead by the numerous ways you can control your music: touch screen, ir/wifi remote, smartphone/tablet or computer.

Cheers.
I just connect to the iPAd via camera connection kit. That's about it. The USB cable feeds the DAC.

I do agree that the Squeezebox server and control apps are one of the best if not the best streaming environment (free of charge !!) that you'll find out there.

On the other hand - in the morning - is just hook up the iPad and start up Tune-In, which I use for radio streaming. This way I don't have to start up the server. Tune-In - as a special purpose animal - I consider the
better choice for radio streaming.

My problem is that more and more boxes are piling up. Redundancy grows every other day. I'd like to stop that.

The basic question is why should I spent money for a Squeezebox, if I can get the same functionality with a player app at 3.99. I do own an iPad/iPhone/Droid anyway. And soon there'll be replacements. I'll have spares at hand that'll do the streaming job.

When it comes to remote control. It's correct that if I use the iPAd as transport I do have a problem that I loose my best remote control.

I do also have a Sony Tablet S and iPhone around.
That'll do for the time being.

Obviously I can still use the Touch. It's still there.

My future investments will have to meet those USB audio criterias. If the iPhone 5 won't come with USB-Audio capability , I'll go for Samsung Galaxy SIII.

The same criterias I'll apply to DACs or digital interfaces. Those devices need
an option for external/battery power beside being buspowered and have to be compatible with the mobile devices.
Old 17th July 2012, 06:32 AM   #747
diyAudio Member

Ok, I have googled cck and understand that you are using Ipad wired to the DAC.

Why such an ugly solution to have an Ipad dedicated to playing music and loosing any benefits of the primary use of a tablet: being portable and wireless?

Do you ambition to mimic a Squeezebox Touch based on Apple product :-( ? If yes, I would 100x prefer an Apple Mini connected to a DAC and also as a mediaserver to the TV... and to use Ipad as a nice wireless remote. But for audio, it looks then quite similar to controlling a Touch or Duet from Ipeng.

So again, what is the user benefit of using a wired Ipad? at least anything but the price :-)
Old 17th July 2012, 07:08 AM   #748
diyAudio Member

IMO the time of Mac Minis or other media (HTPC) PCs in the living room should be over soon (er or later).
What you'd need is a dedicated remote server, with plenty of transcoding muscles. Most todays TVs can stream via DLNA/UPNP. Though they need
a server which does the video transcoding for them.

I do have to admit that those DLNA servers and DLNA/UPNP support on the TV is not what I'd call ready for the market. You have to make a lot work by hacking this or that. And some features are just missing ( e.g. I still don't get subtitles via DLNA on my Sony TV).

If I compare that to e.g. J.River, which just plays everything you throw at it, I'm wondering if this DLNA/UPNP stuff will ever get there.

For the time being I've accepted certain limitations, because I've decided against a HTPC. J.River IMO has a major problem. The remote control. If there'd be an app that would reflect the J.River TheaterView as Control GUI, I might revise my decision against a HTPC.

HTPCs still have a serious problem to play protected BlueRays. That's another NoGo from my perspective.

However. We shouldn't forget that the online offerings for streaming HiRez video stuff is constantly growing. That'll be the future obviously. Todays features offered by those streaming services can't compete with the feature set you'll get with a dedicated BlueRay. And those services are IMO still much too expensive for what they offer.

Obviously you'll run into compromises at every corner. There's no perfect solution out there yet.
Old 17th July 2012, 07:51 AM   #749
diyAudio Member

I have solved the quick "wake up in the morning" issue by the two following options and they work fine for me:
1) run the LMS on a NAS using scheduled power on/off
2) enable wake on LAN on my PC running LMS

The first is constantly available when it is a reasonable time to listen to music. The second is available within 30s whenever I need it.
Old 19th July 2012, 08:03 PM   #750
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi!

I have this issue with SB Touch (Triodes kernel) and the AudioWidget. If I set the widget to UAC2 I get 48khz, when running in UAC1 mode I get 44,1khz but a lot of noise (pops and sparkles). Anyone solved this issue?

Brgds

Hide this!Advertise here!