Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2012, 12:46 PM   #721
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
... I found the PC sounded much better.
It all depends...

"THE PC" can mean a lot. "THE TOUCH" can mean a lot either. There are at least a hundred million variants.

And then you can add mobile iOS devices, Android devices, OSX systems, Linux systems, SD players, you-name-it and an endless number of SW players and setups to the list.

They'll all sound different.

And all that because there is no DAC resp. audio interface which gets the job done right.

Last edited by soundcheck; 6th July 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:49 PM   #722
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
Where is your media stored?
On a harddisk.
Old 6th July 2012, 01:26 PM   #723
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
It all depends...

Yes, I agree. To clarify, I was saying that my PC front end sounds much better than my SBT front end.
This is not to say all PC setups would sound better.

My comments are not a critiscism of your work, because all your software mods make a big improvement over the sound of the stock SBT.

Last edited by erin; 6th July 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 6th July 2012, 05:28 PM   #724
warpeon is offline warpeon  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
On a harddisk.
Soundcheck, this is interesting. This might not be the proper place to discuss this, may be better to start a new thread. What I am interested to learn from you is how your set up the iPad to stream content from a hdd and control ( I assume that means no more remote control?). And instead of an iPad, is it possible to use an iPod touch instead of iPad? That would be lower cost.
Old 7th July 2012, 04:45 AM   #725
diyAudio Member

Hi Boys,

Just a slightly of topic thing,--but i am stuck--! If I was to have an aperture cut to accommodate the squeezebox Touch display, what would be the dimensions required (I want to relocate a Logitech Squeexbox Touch in Modu/Hifi 2000 case but would have to give them the exact dimensions as where i live i just cant get it done locally....sorry to distract but i just can get an answer (I cant even order the squeezebox here in the UAE but if I can get the casework donít thatís a start innit? (:

Thank you
Johnny
Old 7th July 2012, 11:29 AM   #726
ianrt is offline ianrt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default touch aperture

The screen size is 95mm x 55mm, located centrally (horizontally) in a 149mm case. It is 14mm from the top and 38 mm from the bottom. If installing the whole you need to allow 75mm depth.

Ian
Old 7th July 2012, 03:53 PM   #727
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks Ian

Thanks for the dimensions,i shall order the cuts for that, now i just have to find a squeezbox in the UAE

Thanks again good sir.
johnny
Old 7th July 2012, 10:05 PM   #728
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpeon View Post
Soundcheck, this is interesting. This might not be the proper place to discuss this, may be better to start a new thread. What I am interested to learn from you is how your set up the iPad to stream content from a hdd and control ( I assume that means no more remote control?). And instead of an iPad, is it possible to use an iPod touch instead of iPad? That would be lower cost.
Just what I was thinking too! rather interesting stuff

Is it basically the ipeng add on, so one can listen to ones NAS music on the touch or ipad rather than use it just as a remote.
Instead of sound from touch/ipad into headphones (from NAS via ipeng), into the stereo in a good signal transfer way...

Cheers :-)
Old 8th July 2012, 08:05 AM   #729
diyAudio Member

Yep.

It's the iPeng add-on. You stream from your server.

You could also use the Pure i-20 dock for the iPod/iPhone/iPad.
You'll get SPDIF at 48khz max. (I ran my reclocker afterwards)
I tested it. It's actually quite nice. The advatange is that it also
loads your device.

The iPod/iPhone won't allow USB out. That's a limitation.

I think all this is also really a great way to recycle your outdated iDevices.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:50 PM   #730
diyAudio Member

Cheers for the usb info about the ipod touch.

So, your using your ipadipeng usb into your audio gd to get digital coax out, instead of SBtouch (TT4.0 ;-)) digi coax out, and the audio gd set up sounds nicer :-)

Interesting, can't quite get my head round why at the moment, but guessing the audio gd converts better than the SBtouch, simpler software running the stuff maybe... battery powered ipad...

Anyway, guess now the audio gd and ipad are fun to play with and give better results, the extra work of SBtouch and TT4 is out the window, , quite understandable though. I was guessing that the priority settings and the such like would have been included in TT4.0, and was rather looking forward to your nice easy to follow instructions as to what they do and how best to change them for what results. If TT4.0 does get close, count me in :-)

Back to the ipad/pod thing, just a thought, would one be able to leave the ipeng add on ipad/pod, for example behind the sofa, like I have my SBtouch, not visible, and use another ipodtouch as a remote?

(recycle! maybe I'm a bit behind, just been given a Pentium D that is far superior to my existing pc :-o )

Cheers!
:-)
DC

Hide this!Advertise here!