Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2011, 01:03 AM   #601
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turqoisewords View Post
Does anyone think I should go digital to the Denon instead of analog?
Try it and see what sounds better to you.

Last edited by erin; 15th November 2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 15th November 2011, 03:40 AM   #602
diyAudio Member

turqoisewords:
The topic re: bypassing the crappy electrolytic caps on the Touch was last seen here: How to modify the caps at analog out? - Squeezebox : Community : Forums
The interior of the Touch is very tight and densely populated and even getting it open and then doing the mod and closing the Touch again requires much patience and developed skills. Google Bolder Cables and get it done w/o fear of destroying your new toy.

erin:
It must be the same in Oz as here in the US but most home broadband routers usually include 5 switch ports or so to connect your devices. Your diagrams make it appear as though the switches are a separate thing and as they are only layer 2 devices they need that connection to the router for, um, routing.
Larry
Old 15th November 2011, 06:30 AM   #603
diyAudio Member

best connection to Touch.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry crimmins View Post
erin:
It must be the same in Oz as here in the US but most home broadband routers usually include 5 switch ports or so to connect your devices. Your diagrams make it appear as though the switches are a separate thing and as they are only layer 2 devices they need that connection to the router for, um, routing.
Larry
Well, I just disconnected my cable running to the router and the touch plays just fine. So all there is in the path is PC > Network switch > touch.
Just like in this diagram I made earlier. (the way I suggest sounds best)

I'm researching it at the moment, but perhaps this works because this
TP link router "Supports MAC address auto-learning and auto-aging"?

Last edited by erin; 15th November 2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:37 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

erin:
Your pc knows the way to the Touch because it has cached it. Normally it would query the DNS server on your broadband router for that info. It is not a good practice to run w/o a DNS server on a subnet. The pc may use broadcast to find the Touch but having a DNS server on the subnet is a better practice.

Larry
Old 16th November 2011, 01:15 AM   #605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
erin:
Your pc knows the way to the Touch because it has cached it. Normally it would query the DNS server on your broadband router for that info. It is not a good practice to run w/o a DNS server on a subnet. The pc may use broadcast to find the Touch but having a DNS server on the subnet is a better practice.

Larry
Hi Larry I don't doubt your comments if you are talking "in general", but
if talking specifically about a Squeezebox server PC connected directly to a touch in the manner we discussed above, and the PC and Touch have both cached their IP addresses, then removing the router should be no problem. It also removes another (antenna) cable from the audio chain, and in my experience sounds a little better.

Can you see any specific problem using a dedicated music server connected to the touch in this manner?
Old 16th November 2011, 03:57 AM   #606
diyAudio Member

erin:
Without a router you would not have been able to set this system up. Without a router you can't get to the internet for updates on server software nor Touch firmware.
Without a router, you can only use the IR remote control. You would have to go to the server physically to set up each and every playlist. Very tedious.
The switch serves no purpose in your setup either. You could run a network cable between the server pc and the Touch.
I use a dedicated netbook as my server pc but its connected to a wireless router that is wirelessly connected to the central router and wired to a Touch about 20 ft. away but several walls intervene. There is also a printer connected via USB to the netbook that serves the entire house. I have another Touch wired to the central router but a room and a wall away.
I connect wirelessly to this network via anyone of several laptops, and I can setup playlists from the laptops remotely. There is also Netflix enabled BDP in several rooms that are connected by wire to the central router.
I've found it handy to use the routers to troubleshoot and examine issues on my home network.
The tedium of going to a single pc server to accomplish even simple management tasks has little appeal for me anyway.
Larry
Old 16th November 2011, 06:23 AM   #607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
erin:
Without a router you would not have been able to set this system up.
I do know that. If I implied otherwise I am sorry

Quote:
Without a router you can't get to the internet for updates on server software nor Touch firmware.
I only do that once in a while. I don't really see this as a big issue

Quote:
without a router, you can only use the IR remote control. You would have to go to the server physically to set up each and every playlist. Very tedious.
I use the touch screen to play music, not an issue for me.

Quote:
The switch serves no purpose in your setup either. You could run a network cable between the server pc and the Touch.
Now that is interesting. I was not aware of that. I'm going to try this tonight and see how it sounds.

Quote:
I've found it handy to use the routers to troubleshoot and examine issues on my home network.
The tedium of going to a single pc server to accomplish even simple management tasks has little appeal for me anyway.
Larry
Larry, I was making my comments based on the sound quality of different network setups (LAN wiring arrangements) as perceived by myself, in my system, which may equally apply in another persons system. I wasn't suggesting that you hinder your convenience by doing any of this.

I will report back on the sound when going direct from the PC
Old 16th November 2011, 09:57 AM   #608
lauret is offline lauret  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The switch serves no purpose in your setup either. You could run a network cable
between the server pc and the Touch.
This isn't that trivial as you put it. Without Auto-MDIX on the devices you need a cross
cable to do this. See wikipedia on Ethernet crossover cable.
Old 16th November 2011, 10:47 AM   #609
diyAudio Member

If you check the SqueezeBox Wiki you'll find that Auto Uplink or Auto MDIX has been a standard feature for many generations of SqueezeBox.
No X-over cable is needed.
Larry

Last edited by larry crimmins; 16th November 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 16th November 2011, 11:59 AM   #610
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

Just a short update.

I mentioned the other day to have a look at range extenders to get rid of the direct wireless link..

I mentioned a Netgear product. It seems that the feedback about that device is not that positive at Amazon.com.
There seems to be a nice alternative "Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N Smart Repeater and Range Extender (SR300)". Guidof from SBF did order and tested that one.
He is pretty happy with it. He also confirms the "almost" expected result.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!