Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

What you state you'll find pretty much on the blog (as scripts that everybody can run -- this is not just talk!) and in the Linux Audio thread I started 4 years ago.

That's nothing new.

I am telling you. you are wrong about your theoretical buffer philosophy
in the case of SB Touch - at least when is comes to the listening experience!

Unfortunately you have to stay on a "philosophical side", since you
don't even own the product.
I said that already twice. This is the wrong place for you!
There comes absolutely no value with your postings.

Open up your own thread and fill it up with your own wisdom and measurements. I'm really getting tired of this bu..sh.. .

Thx

This is not your privace space, but a specialized public forum. If you do not want others to comment on your posts, put it onto your blog and disable comments.

In your scripts on linux audio thread you did numerous things in the oposite direction of reducing CPU load - lowering latency, using RT kernel, playing via long chain linked by pipes producing bit-identical/timing identical results, increasing CPU load, while being claimed as sonically superior. That is to your first claim.

I also do not belive your second claim that reducing alsa buffers improves the sound of SB Touch. I am stating this here for others to read. It is my opinion, and I will not go and buy the device to prove it as there is absolutely no logical reason for the hack to improve the sound. If you like subjective claims, fine, but I am saying it here. Let's let the readers make their own mind.

Hi!

I am a reader that really owns a Touch (digital into Sabre32 DAC).
I will post practical experience using my subjective ears and gear tonight.
No measurements. No theory. Just subjective listening experiences.

Have a nice subjective day everyone!

Hi!

I am a reader that really owns a Touch (digital into Sabre32 DAC).
I will post practical experience using my subjective ears and gear tonight.
No measurements. No theory. Just subjective listening experiences.

Have a nice subjective day everyone!

Hi TBM.

Finally. There is hope. Where have you been all the time? ;)

Looking forward to hear about your impressions.

Digital into Sabre32 is one of my reference test scenarios.
The other is Touch - Toslink into Tas5706 full digital amp.

I updated today the buffer script. Now you can toggle between 3 values.
20000(default)-4000-3000us. (I am not 100% sure about 3000 yet. It's too new. At least I don't face any XRUNS, Feedback is welcome.)

Don't forget to run the "screen" script everytime you e.g. change
the buffer sizes which will cause a reboot. That happened to me
more then once. ;)

BTW:
I'll reshape all those scripts and instructions soon. It'll be a toolbox.
You'll transfer and extract that toolbox on the Touch in one step.
Then you'll control everything with scripts via a terminal client.
Every script will have a toggle function. This way you'll be able to
verify the effects of the respective modification much easier.
My ultimate goal would be a kind of plugin. Let see first how
things are developing. One at a time.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Hi

As promised (warning; subjective comments):
My gear is Avantgarde Acoustics Duo horn 104dB, 2x50Kg 300B SET, all siver wiring in a dedicated listening room, DAC is Sabre32 and Squeezebox touch digital out with stiff linear powersupply.

Ad 1:Buffer tweak: Yes, I can tell you that it was easy to hear a nice improvement in timbre, depth and width. I did switch back and forth, and immediately recognized the changes. I subjectively recommend this tweak!

Ad 2: Screen off tweak: YES, indeed, I can tell you there was a VERY good improvement in sound; blacker background, longer decay in tones dying out and finer structures of over-tones. I subjectively recommend this tweak!

In general: I subjectively recommend these two new tweaks, pluss the other tweaks in Soundchecks blog of course.

Thanks a lot Soundcheck!! My system just got significant better without spending any big $$$! Can it get subjectively better than this?

Cheers!

Hi TBM.

Great to see your feedback.

To be honest - I'd almost expected that those mods would work out quite well on your highly resolving system. ;)

Your description is pretty much in line with what happened here on the reference systems. Give it some more time and you'll figure out some
more improved characteristics. ;)

I still got a bit more munition in the pocket. It's not the very end you've seen.

Cheers
SC

"75 Ohm" interlink

Hello all,

Four months ago I bought a Squeezebox Touch. I did all the software upgrades as mentioned on Soundcheck's blog at that time. I am very happy with the quality of the Touch in combination with a Buffalo DAC, a Tripath TA2021B amp and Bastanis open baffle speakers.

John Svenson explained that the good quality of the SPDIF output was also due to the fact that Logitec went into great effort to make it really 75 Ohm impedance. For a good signal transport, however, all parts in the chain must be 75 Ohm: the RCA chassis part, the RCA connector, the cable and the input of the Buffalo.

Some people claim that a BNC plug is to be preferred, but I do not want hardware modifications (yet). Alternatively, on Internet I found that a company called Canare sells 75 Ohm RCA connectors. The price is surprisingly low: 10 Euro per pair. They have two types, one that fits the cheap and widely used RG-59 cable and one for thicker cables.

Up to now I compared three cables: 1. a digital interlink of a few Euros cut in half (because the Buffalo does not have a chassis part), 2. a Canare plug with RG-59 and 3. a Canare plug with Canare LV-77S digital coaxcable (3 Euro/m). So the price could hardly stop anyone from trying this.

My experience: the Canare cable is the best sounding one, the RG-59 second and the cheap digital interlink third. As usual: listen to how many details you hear, how natural they sound and the order is clear. More cables are to be tested in the near future.

Finally: I measured the DC output resistance of the Touch, it is 105 Ohm, the Buffalo DAC has 75.0 Ohm input resistance (that is clear if you look at the circuit diagram). Impedances I cannot measure, so the debate on what is better and what is audible can continue.

Kind regards,
Eddie

SW mods kills my wirreles

Hi all

I'm a total newbie at all this modding :)

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but after the SW mods the SB WIFI does not work any more :-(

After the mods I turn the SB off by pulling the power cord out for 1 minute. When its turned on again the WIFI is gone.....

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all

I'm a total newbie at all this modding :)

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but after the SW mods the SB WIFI does not work any more :-(

After the mods I turn the SB off by pulling the power cord out for 1 minute. When its turned on again the WIFI is gone.....

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

One of the main modifications is to urn off wireless.
It obviously worked. :D

To revert back

1. you do either a factory reset which reloads the entire box
2. you connect the Touch temporarily to your wired network and remove the
/etc/init.d/rc.local
3. you connect the Touch temporarily to your wired network and you edit
the /etc/init.d/rc.local. Double click on file in winscp.
You change two lines:

iwconfig wlan0 txpower off # stop transmitter of wlan module
/etc/init.d/wlan stop # stops wlan and modules

to

#iwconfig wlan0 txpower off # stop transmitter of wlan module
#/etc/init.d/wlan stop # stops wlan and modules

save&exit&reconnct to WLAN.

The next tool updates will come with a separate WLAN off/on script.
Default will be "on". You're not the only one running into that problem.

Cheers

Finally: I measured the DC output resistance of the Touch, it is 105 Ohm, the Buffalo DAC has 75.0 Ohm input resistance (that is clear if you look at the circuit diagram). Impedances I cannot measure, so the debate on what is better and what is audible can continue.

Kind regards,
Eddie

Eddie,
how did you measure that 105 Ohm? I can't believe, sorry.
cheers,
Andy

Hi.

One of the main modifications is to urn off wireless.
It obviously worked. :D

To revert back

1. you do either a factory reset which reloads the entire box
2. you connect the Touch temporarily to your wired network and remove the
/etc/init.d/rc.local
3. you connect the Touch temporarily to your wired network and you edit
the /etc/init.d/rc.local. Double click on file in winscp.
You change two lines:

iwconfig wlan0 txpower off # stop transmitter of wlan module
/etc/init.d/wlan stop # stops wlan and modules

to

#iwconfig wlan0 txpower off # stop transmitter of wlan module
#/etc/init.d/wlan stop # stops wlan and modules

save&exit&reconnct to WLAN.

The next tool updates will come with a separate WLAN off/on script.
Default will be "on". You're not the only one running into that problem.

Cheers

Thanks a million, what a service!!

Just bought me a cable :p
Looking forward to try it all out.
Will post my experience with the SW mods as soon as possible!

Jesper

Hi,
I have SB Touch connected via Ethernet cable DIRECTLY to MAC MINI 2010 as a server (great source BTW, HDMI, low power consumption and silent).
I don't use any router/switch. Although while connection via Ethernet, SB report the lack of DHCP end error, it works perfectly and MAC shows the SB IP address.

When I upload the main modification script, I can no longer access the MAC and server application:-(

Hi,
I have SB Touch connected via Ethernet cable DIRECTLY to MAC MINI 2010 as a server (great source BTW, HDMI, low power consumption and silent).
I don't use any router/switch. Although while connection via Ethernet, SB report the lack of DHCP end error, it works perfectly and MAC shows the SB IP address.

When I upload the main modification script, I can no longer access the MAC and server application:-(

Is your MAC running as DHCP server?

It is strange. Mac has dhcp ON preconfigured for ethernet port.
I foreced the private address 192.168......
Anyway i still has the dhcp error, but i think this is for mysqueezebox.com connection.
What i did, i installed only analog output OFF script for external DAC operation and it works. Small but noticable imptovement....or just self suggestion:)

Mac mini is great. If you travel to US it is a must buy.
I paid for it 2000pln, when here in Poland it is....3600pln:(
You can place it close to your hi- end stuff and connect to sbt via 0.5m long pathcord.

Hello again,
I tried again uploading the main script to SBT and again I can't connect to ethernet of my MAC MINI. It works when a system is unmodified (DHCP on MAC works) and error after modification and no connection.

Is it possible to have the modification not touching the network components/drivers? :)

anyway, thanks for you effort and time!

streaming pcm with Inguz plug-in

I am using Inguz convolver plugin with FIR filters created by acourate for my SB Touch with a Windows Squeezecenter server set-up. Inguz disables the selection function for "file types" and streams in 24 bit flac format by default. Does anybody here know how to change the Inguz script to stream pcm to my squeezebox touch?

@soundcheck: do your SW mods also work when I stream flac format to my Touch (or will it disable decoding?)? Of course I prefer to avoid decoding done by the Touch as I already noticed an improvement in SQ, doing that before installing Inguz.