Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Right now I'm working on a TT Version which won't conflict with the Triode plugin. Let see if there's even more to gain. You never know.

Cheers

Any chance a beta test version of 4.0? I've been unable to get 3.0 working on top of the Triode EDO plugin with a UAC 1.0 adaptive USB DAC and a very underpowered NAS (I've not configured server transcoding for FLAC but still have garbled sound with EDO + TT 3.0: OK with EDO alone). There was discussion on other forums of priority changes for USB, but no conclusion so I'm very keen to try 4.0 as soon as available. Sound with my SBT and Furutech GT40 is OK but not great - my CD player sounds better.
Many thanks in advance

yep. that's correct.

Just to add:

Touch without TT3.0 and just the Triode USB plugin + DI sounds pretty similar to my own TT4.0 + highly tweaked server setup. Therefore I'd expect the DI setup to be better then TT3.0 plus a pretty standard network/server setup.

Right now I'm working on a TT Version which won't conflict with the Triode plugin. Let see if there's even more to gain. You never know.

Cheers

New to this thread, but have been running the various TT mods for quite a while. The DI you are referring to, is that just the Digital Interface of the DAC? Meaning the SPDIF/USB connection? Or is there a separate physical or sowftware "DI" that I am unaware of?

Newbie here. sorry if this has been covered/obvious, I didn't see it, but if you can toggle wireless on/off with the tt -w command why are there 2 download versions, v1 with Wireless LAN deactivated, and v2 with Wireless LAN activated? what's the difference?

thanks and i'm new to all of this, so sorry if this is a dumb question. MUCH appreciation to everybody who contributes especially Klaus.

Where can i find real "measurement documentation" which displays the actual data of improvements?
I see a lot of arguments what to do and what to do not to improve the Touch (like to use or not to use ethernet or wifi).
Is there any prove if this realy matters or not.

Some time ago i made a battery "LiPo" power supply for my Touch.
This power supply has a ripple of 10µV (top-top) at -110dB (1Hz until 100kHz) with a load of 330mA-1,3A, output measured stable at 4,9856Vdc.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1. I'm connecting the Touch ( currently no TT30 installed) via USB to DI.
2. I connected my iPAd through camera connection kit ( which was as good as the Touch incl HW tuning and SW tuning) to DI
3. I tried the Pure I-20 dock ( iPhone and iPad) via SPDIF

I could have lived with any of those setups.

4. I used external power on the DI until today. I had a spare SBOOSTER 5V supply at hand.

At that point I thought "Quite nice. What else do I want!?!?"

5. Today I installed 6.6V LipoFe4 on the DI and also connected the SPDIF cable to the internal cabling to skip the connector and jack.

I'm running the DI via SPDIF into the HifiMeDiy DDX320 full digital amp.

That last actvitiy (5) was quite a step forward. Much more dynamics. You need to get used to it in the beginning.
But that effect is known. As soon as you start working with LiPoFe 4 batteries you'll gain quite some dynamics compared to most other power supplies.

That's where I'am today. The DI stays. It might get replaced with the new DI V2 which will be available in May.

Cheers

I just received the the audiogd di v2. I tried to connect it between my squeezebox touch and the naim dac, but the naim dac failed to lock onto the DI when I connect the DI and the squeezebox via USB. Soundcheck, is there any setting u did to make it work? Did you use a hub?

I just received the the audiogd di v2. I tried to connect it between my squeezebox touch and the naim dac, but the naim dac failed to lock onto the DI when I connect the DI and the squeezebox via USB. Soundcheck, is there any setting u did to make it work? Did you use a hub?

I'm running the DI V1.

I do think the DI V2 needs a proprietary driver.

It'll most probably work on Windows and OSX systems (since drivers seem to available) only.

It won't work on Linux systems.

What you can try is to use the SPDIF input though. ( If you bought the model with the SPDIF input)

For me a DI V2 is No GO due to the driver issue.

I won't buy and wouldn't recommend any audio interface (anymore!) which come with proprietary drivers.

I told KingWa that I consider it a major drawback to introduce this new interface.

Even the new HiFace runs nowadays with the generic usb-audio driver on all platforms. That's IMO the way to go.

As a rather small company you can't afford to write and especially maintain propriatery drivers. Those small companies just understimate the efforts behind it.
That's why you as a customer can be happy if you get support for at least two years before you can trash your device.

I as a customer would rather accept a little worse soundquality of a DAC that supports the generic OS drivers, then going with a DAC that supports selected OSes&revisions with a proprietary driver onyl.

Cheers

Last edited:
I was thinking about organizing my music library over the weekend. I saw that dbpoweramp now has the uncompressed option for the FLAC format. However, if using the uncompressed format, then why not choosing AIFF? with AIFF, it will be apple friendly as well. Is AIFF as good as uncompressed FLAC?

A friend of mine just received the DI V2 DSP. He is using the DSP function for upsampling (feeding a DDX320) and also using the SPDIF input fed by the Touch-TT40.

BTW: USB is not working "yet!!!" (Though he told me the Audio-GD seems to work on a special firmware patch to make the V2 work with the Touch without a driver. At head-Fi you'll find a long thread about the DI - Go to page 199 or similar - people are currently complaining about the buggy V2 drivers)

Anyway. The friend of mine reports that the DI V2 performs pretty well via SPDIF IN/OUT and external PS. It does improve the soundquality even further.

Imho it is worse in almost every aspects

I do think SPDIF vs. USB discussions won't lead anywhere. It's always a matter of how every single device respectively system is implemented.

There are numerous factors which can turn results into one or another direction. Every change of a test scenario can lead to a different conclusion.
There are good USB implementations and meanwhile there are also rather good SPDIF implementations.

I do have the impression that the recent "competetion" of USB vs. SPDIF causes some promising progress in that area.

When it comes to features such as number of channels, bitdepth, sample rates, USB must be considered the much better and far more flexible interface.

and if you reclock SPDIF anyway in DI V2 for instance, I don't see the reason of using asynchronous USB anymore.

I'd phrase it differently.

All serious digital-audio transmission via USB or SPDIF need at least a highest quality reclocker and serious noise supression resp. source isolation on the receiver side in place.
By having this in place SPDIF vs. USB shouldn't make any difference anymore.
(Of course it's not that easy - many manufacturers claim to have above measures in place and still the results are all but satisfcatory - "in audiophile terms" )

The DI V2 would be a really good device if

a. SPDIF vs. USB inputs wouldn't make any difference anymore (to be confirmed)
b. any of the known source/transport choices and related optimzations wouldn't have any impact on either SPDIF or USB anymore. (to be confirmed)
(c. If the device would support generic USB drivers ;) )

Cheers

Hello Soundcheck,
Any news on the TT4.0 version which won't conflict with the Triode plugin?

1. Since the intro of the DI I can't really motivate myself to finish up TT40.
With the intro of the reclocker and source isolation all those mods
become somewhat less relevant.
Tweaking the transport/source, I consider the wrong way anyhow.
Doing it can't be more then a temporary workaround.
You'll never get the source under control.

2. and I neither intend to feed Triode with even more of my ideas/solutions,
which he will implement without talking to me about it, nor I'll make my
toolbox compatible to his stuff.

My current focus is on getting away from the Touch anyhow. This box is just too inflexible. Though for the time being it still works nice in my setup.

I already have some alternatives. I could also live with the iPad feeding the DI via iPeng player.

Projects like the Raspberry PI as audio player I do also consider very promising.

But let see. Perhaps I can motivate myself to finish TT40 for the coming (northern hemisphere) audio season

Dear Soundcheck,

Thank you for developing the TT2.0&TT3.0. You developments had made the squeezebox touch a lot more enjoyable. I guess every gadget has its life cycle. Perhaps squeezebox's may come to an end soon. I am sure everyone on the forum would love to hear from you on your latest findings and tweaks. Please continue to share your tweaks with us, whether it is your iPad feeding the DI or anything else.

Best regards,

Warpeon

Hi everybody,

i´m interested in how you guys are powering up your SBT.
I´m using a diy linearregulator based around UI-Transformer
mur820 bridge, 10000 panasonic ´lytic and then a regulator
based on lt1085 as described in its data sheet.

Plans for the future are changing the transfo and rect. for some
accu like SLA or LiPo plus charging device, but i have no circuit
(for charger) will be the best. Read about the LiPo-Charger being
quite complicated.

Greetings ulf

Hi folks.

Here's an interesting review: W4S Music Server.

The W4S music server (2.5k$!!) gets reviewed and compared to a MAC+Amarra and a TT30 tweaked Touch with Welbourne Labs PSU.

The W4S server runs a commercial Vortexbox license btw..

I do not really agree to the business case that Joel (the author) is making
up:

I wouldn't put a MAC on the balance sheet (every old PC can be used as a server) , nor I'd pay for 300$ for a PS. Let's not argue about a 2TB disk. On my balance sheet I 'd end up at around 500-600$ on the SBT side.

I could imagine that something like a Rasberry Pi based installation in conjunction with an USB DAC can get the business case scenario down towards on overall effort of 200$ vs. 2.5k.

Bottom line.

An SBT with with a little tweaking and TT3.0 + iPeng seems to be pretty competetive in the music server market. (Even without TT40 and TTserver). ( What else is new!!? ;) )

It's also interesting to read that he puts a MAC + Amarra at the bottom of the rankings.

The author also pretty well points out the weaknesses of an MPD (MPad) setup, which come with the Vortexbox.
That's what I'm saying since years. MPD got stuck around 2007/8. It remains in maintenance mode since then.

Another area is tagging and cover art handling which is kind of limited on the Vortexbox thus W4S server. (Nothing new so far.)

Yep. Even if I'm using Linux on my audio machines, I won't get around using dbPoweramp and MP3Tag on my Windows installation to get my CDs ripped and the tags nicely and consistently edited resp. formatted.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi folks.

Just to leak some info:

I've been in close contact to the iPeng guys. I proposed some time ago to have a look at native <=24/96 support for the iPad player app of iPeng.

The other day an invitation hit my mailbox to betatest a new iPeng version.

I couldn't say no to it. ;)

Guess what!?!?

Now I'm happily streaming 24/96 via iPad, which is connected via Camera Connnection Kit to my Audio GD-DI VI.
That's basically making the Touch obsolete.

The main issue with the camera connection kit is, that you can't charge the iPad as you'd do with a normal dock.
A dock that would provide USB with CCK functionality and iPAd charging would be great.

Another limitation is that you might need a USB Hub in the link to connect your DAC - even if your DAC is externally powered.

The release date for this feature is not yet fixed. They still have to work on some minor issues.

Cheers

Last edited: