Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2011, 07:50 AM   #341
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinski View Post
Hi,

I have only flacs and i want to decode on the server. Tried some custom-convert.conf from sb forum, but it was not working.
That's what makes it fail. Somehow I never managed to run a DSPed
stream as PCM stream down to the Touch.
I always had to convert the stream back to flac before sending it down.
Old 10th February 2011, 09:46 PM   #342
mb is offline mb
diyAudio Member

@sinski, @soundcheck:

I have flac -> dsp -> pcm working, with brutefir/brutefirdrc as the dsp engine. I don't know what drc system you are using, so my code my not work with yours.

The basic strategy is to send pcm in the format expected by the SBTouch via the pipeline. For brutefir with flac output:

(flac) -> sox -> (format brutefir expects, 32-bit float, raw, sample rate XXXXX etc) ->brutefir -> (pcm) -> flac encoding (must know what sample rate to expect)

With the above, the config is restricted to one sample rate since brutefir filters are for a fixed sample rate. Toby Dickenson wrote a neat wrapper which provides support for different sample rates, plus other niceties.

sox -> brutefirwrapper -> (wav) -> flac

To use the wrapper for pcm, the wav output from brutefirwrapper should lose the wav header, either by a mod to the python wrapper, or replacing flac with a program that will strip 44 bytes off the beginning of a file (eg. dd).

Hope this is useful. The important thing to remember is that is seems SBTouch expects the pcm at the same sample rate and word format as original, so 96/24 flac should be sent as a 96/24 pcm, and 44/16 mpeg or flac should be sent as 44/16 pcm. In my case brutefir processes in 32 or 64-bit, and was configured to output in S24_LE, so 44/16 was an issue. I don't want to truncate back to 16-bits after dsp. The workaround was to re-rip my library to 24 bits irrespective. In space the cost is small as 24-bit flacs with 16-bit data use up just about the same space at 16-bit flacs (the compression is clever enough to know the 8 bits are not used).

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
That's what makes it fail. Somehow I never managed to run a DSPed
stream as PCM stream down to the Touch.
I always had to convert the stream back to flac before sending it down.
Old 13th February 2011, 03:35 PM   #343
diyAudio Member

Default Double speed radio

After enjoying the SBT mods for several weeks, I discovered a strange phenomenon: some internet radio stations play-back at double speed !!
I have no idea which stations do so and which don't, but an example is "Radio Apintie", one of my doughter's favourites. Whenever I play that station on the modded SBT, it plays at one octave higher pitch and at double speed. After fiddling with some mod settings, I could trace the problem to one setting: "tttout".
Selecting "ttout -a" for analog out only, shows the problem.
Reverting to "ttout -n" activating all output devices, makes the problem disappear.
Has anyone encountered this same phenomenon and maybe found a cause and a solution?
Old 15th February 2011, 05:50 AM   #344
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dremel View Post
After enjoying the SBT mods for several weeks, I discovered a strange phenomenon: some internet radio stations play-back at double speed !!
I have no idea which stations do so and which don't, but an example is "Radio Apintie", one of my doughter's favourites. Whenever I play that station on the modded SBT, it plays at one octave higher pitch and at double speed. After fiddling with some mod settings, I could trace the problem to one setting: "tttout".
Selecting "ttout -a" for analog out only, shows the problem.
Reverting to "ttout -n" activating all output devices, makes the problem disappear.
Has anyone encountered this same phenomenon and maybe found a cause and a solution?
In fact - you need to deactivate the output mod.

Those radio stations need the "plug" (=plugin) output device of Linux, which is part of the Logitech default output configuration.

That "plug" output sounds inferior to the "hw" output mode.

Somebody at the Logitech forum reported that the affected radio stations seem to run rates below 44.1/16. I havn't digged into it any further.

For sure you won't need the output mod to listen to those stations.

Cheers
Old 15th February 2011, 04:12 PM   #345
diyAudio Member

Hello Klaus,

some days ago I upgraded to 7.5.3, both on Squeezebox Server and on Squeezebox Touch.

After that I tried to reinstall the mods again, but got some problems.

It seems that at least the ttbuffer script is not running correctly, as I can not set the buffersize to 4000 anymore.

See my output

# ttinit
__________________________________________________ ______________

soundcheck's SB Touch Toolbox 2.00: Initialization

Touch toolbox has been already initialised!
#

# ttstat

soundcheck's SBT Toolbox 2.00: Modification Status

Modification WLAN: disabled
Modification Watchdog: enabled
Modification Jive2: disabled
Modification Buffer: disabled
Buffersize: 20000
20000us
Modification Screen: disabled
Audio outputs: Analog: off Digital: on USB: off
Modification Kernel: enabled

# ttbuffer 4000
sed: unmatched '/'

soundcheck's SB Touch Toolbox 2.0: The buffer mod!

Buffer set to 4000 us. Rebooting system.

After reboot the ttbuffer is still as it was before.

# ttstat

soundcheck's SBT Toolbox 2.00: Modification Status

Modification WLAN: disabled
Modification Watchdog: enabled
Modification Jive2: disabled
Modification Buffer: disabled
Buffersize: 20000
20000us
Modification Screen: disabled
Audio outputs: Analog: off Digital: on USB: off
Modification Kernel: enabled

#

You can see on the output of ttbuffer that sed complains about an unmatched /. I think this causes ttbuffer to write not down the settings on alsaplayer.

I can do that manually, but I think it would be more interesting to check why the upgrade causes the script to fail.
Old 15th February 2011, 04:46 PM   #346
diyAudio Member

Hello Klaus,

I just made a factory reset and reinstalled the toolbox 2.0 again.

Now the script run fine, so the problem is solved.
Old 15th February 2011, 07:48 PM   #347
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
I
That "plug" output sounds inferior to the "hw" output mode.
All the plug plugin does is to adjust the input stream to the sound card HW parameters. It does nothing to the final sound if parameters of the input stream can be accomodated by the sound card, just as plain hw. If the input stream deviates from the supported parameters (sample rate, format, number of channels), it does the minimum changes required. Replacing it with plain hw:x results only in fewer supported range of input audio data - e.g. radio stations broadcasting in format not supported directly by the sound card do not work with hw:x, while they would be perfectly OK with plughw:X. Good way to test is playing with aplay -v, where the plug plugin reports all the necessary changes it performs.
Old 16th February 2011, 04:03 AM   #348
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
All the plug plugin does is to adjust the input stream to the sound card HW parameters. It does nothing to the final sound if parameters of the input stream can be accomodated by the sound card, just as plain hw. If the input stream deviates from the supported parameters (sample rate, format, number of channels), it does the minimum changes required. Replacing it with plain hw:x results only in fewer supported range of input audio data - e.g. radio stations broadcasting in format not supported directly by the sound card do not work with hw:x, while they would be perfectly OK with plughw:X. Good way to test is playing with aplay -v, where the plug plugin reports all the necessary changes it performs.
I thought you unsubscribed long time from that thread. Please stop trying to undermine not only my and btw not new findings (and not only this thread) with your opinions again. You don't even own that device. We had that discussions over here before.

People can turn my modifications on and off and decide by themselves to see if there is a difference in soundquality. The impact will differ from system to system of course.

You'll be invited to contribute "anything" constructive which would get my project further as it already is (though I doubt that this will ever happen) -- otherwise I'd appreciate if you stay out of here.

Last edited by soundcheck; 16th February 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 16th February 2011, 05:41 AM   #349
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Soundcheck, the suggestion to keep plughw IS constructive, and is aimed to all using your modifications. You will gain NOTHING by disabling it while loosing flexibility of your player. Learn what it does first.
Old 16th February 2011, 09:27 AM   #350
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Soundcheck, the suggestion to keep plughw IS constructive, and is aimed to all using your modifications. You will gain NOTHING by disabling it while loosing flexibility of your player. Learn what it does first.
Yep I know. And my buffer mod and most of the other things I'm doing belongs in the same category.

phofman - you better stop it. You don't do yourself a favour.

See it as a nice advise from my side.

Hide this!Advertise here!