Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2011, 09:03 PM   #281
NICKEL is offline NICKEL  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi Klaus

The Beta works for me. Haven't done any extended listening, but another the music is detailed and crisp. For the record, I'm using Vortexbox server and wired (Cat6) Netgear DG834 into a modified Chinese/Lampo 1865 DAC to Dynavector HX1.2 and Yamaha NS1000Xs.
Thanks again

Nick
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:16 AM   #282
diyAudio Member

Hi guys.

I was just wondering if anybody of you guys went back trying the analog output of the Touch in comparison to an SPDIF/externalDAC setup, after applying the Toolbox and HW/network mods.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2011, 06:25 PM   #283
diyAudio Member

Hi Klaus!

Until now I tried out every mod excluded the newest one. I'am sorry but I have to bring the network cable thing into discussion. Since I knew from before that every cable makes a difference its also with them. Even the cable before the d-link hub has an influence which is at minimum as great as one of the mods. My cables have been the mercados cat6 from sommercable, which have been a lot better than the recommended dracas. With the dracas the sound became fuzzy, less bass (positive: bass was clearer) too unstable. Than I decided to try cables which have been recommended by the german magazin "stereo". They are called meicord and indeed they sound even better than my sommercable. Bass is deeper and clearer, stage gets even more stable. I've 1m between hub and SBT and 7,5m between Hub and NAS where the Server is running. The cables are unshielded and thats absolute no problem. The special thing about this cable is, that they invented a plug which keeps the twisted order of the cores as long as possible, so the wave resistance constant. The MeiCords a quite expensive, but I will keep them. But Iam not sure if I really bought the (Amazon has a lot of them) draca cables which you recommended since my version is a shielded one......

Thanks, Stefan
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:17 PM   #284
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli View Post
Hi Klaus!

Until now I tried out every mod excluded the newest one. I'am sorry but I have to bring the network cable thing into discussion. Since I knew from before that every cable makes a difference its also with them. Even the cable before the d-link hub has an influence which is at minimum as great as one of the mods. My cables have been the mercados cat6 from sommercable, which have been a lot better than the recommended dracas. With the dracas the sound became fuzzy, less bass (positive: bass was clearer) too unstable. Than I decided to try cables which have been recommended by the german magazin "stereo". They are called meicord and indeed they sound even better than my sommercable. Bass is deeper and clearer, stage gets even more stable. I've 1m between hub and SBT and 7,5m between Hub and NAS where the Server is running. The cables are unshielded and thats absolute no problem. The special thing about this cable is, that they invented a plug which keeps the twisted order of the cores as long as possible, so the wave resistance constant. The MeiCords a quite expensive, but I will keep them. But Iam not sure if I really bought the (Amazon has a lot of them) draca cables which you recommended since my version is a shielded one......

Thanks, Stefan
Great geedback. We need to figure out why the network has such an impact.

I'll leave a note on the blog.
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:01 PM   #285
Lvtouch is offline Lvtouch  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the latest volume mod. Interesting result in my system: A blacker background but also less texture/density. After switching back and forth, I prefer the Touch default.

I look forward to your continued experimentation. The 2.0 toolbox mods have worked wonders.
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:29 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

Hi Klaus!
In the first place I think it is because of reflections when the wave resistance is not allwright. Also my sommercables are thicker and hence the bass is (too) strong (a bit to slow). This is also known from LS cables. But:
I talked once to Mr. Brinkmann who is a wellknown german developer of amplifiers and turntables and he told me that he could hear even a difference when he modified the rectifier for the motor of his turntable with tubes. And the very strange thing was that the turntable was a belt drive. So no electrical contact! So somehow he gave up to understand it and just stated: the electrons know somehow what happens to them....

So I don't know if we can find out, but if more guys (or girls - mine just started dancing when she heard Oscar Peterson with the last mod) test it and verify this - maybe....

Regards, Stefan
Old 22nd January 2011, 10:15 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

Here is a link for further information.....(its in geman language)
kabelparameter.html

Best Regards, Stefan
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:55 AM   #288
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

At meicord, the cable manufacturer Stefan mentioned; I stepped over that ethernet cable test from German Stereo magazine.

In germen language:

Stereo Lan Cable review and analysis

They pretty much see the shield and the connectors as the main source for causing the undoubtable differences they experienced on soundquality
In all tests unshielded cable performed better.

BTW: A clearly audible increase in dynamics I achieved with the SBOOSTER powered D-LINK HUB.

Cheers

Last edited by soundcheck; 23rd January 2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:55 AM   #289
diyAudio Member

Just did a surgery on one of my 1m isolated Draka cables which connects the
D-Link hub with the Touch.

I removed the screens roughly two inches away from the connector which runs into the Touch. You need to cut out roughly 1,5 inches of the outer isolation to be able to get the inner shields removed.

Stefan. If you own a Draka and you don't use it anymore you might want to give it a try. It's a bit tricky since all pairs are seperately isolated. It won't take more then 5 minutes though.

The result sounds promising. Something defintely changed. I need to make sure though not to fool myself.
Old 23rd January 2011, 01:20 PM   #290
diyAudio Member

Hi Klaus!

Interesting idea! I'll try (hopefully) soon. Nevertheless: the quality my cables themselves are better than the Drakas.

Stefan

Hide this!Advertise here!