Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

100% vol.

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for finally publishing TT3.0! I was waiting for a long time and checking your blog every day..
I installed it and it works good on my Touch with 7.7.0 firmware and SBS 7.6.1 (QNAP NAS) controlled by my Archos 70 tablet and squeezecommander app.
The sound improvement is notable - it takes away some harshness and gives a little darker background, allthough I am not sure if the soundstage (middle positioning) was slightly better with TT 2.0..
One question I have. Is it necessary/possible to set volume to 100% in the Touch set-up before installing TT3.0 if I want to keep on controlling volume with my tablet remote?

Thanks again for this big effort!! :worship:

The vollock feature is turned off by default. Volume can be controlled as usual.

There are now two ways to lock the VC at 100%.

1. The latest SBS >7.6.1 does offer pretty much the same feature.
You can lock the volume from the player setup menu.

At the time Logitech introduced their feature I looked up what they've
done.
They had done "almost" the same thing what I was doing with the
vollock feature. Some of you might have tried it earlier this year (TT
Beta-Blog)

Some weeks later somebody ( I forgot his name) just applied my
vollock version. Guess what - it worked by coincidence.
He then reported that my vollock was still making a difference.
I couldn't believe it. And I didn't follow up on it.
Now - just recently - I did do a followup, collecting and reviewing all
constructive feedback I received since tt20 was introduced.
That lead to option 2.

2. Or you do it my way: tt -v on/off
It'll be persistent setting.

Please let me know if any of you folks can hear a difference between 1. and .2

Don't expect it to be day and night, if you recongnize any difference at all.

That's why I said the feature would still be "experimental"

Cheers

100% vol.

Hi Soundcheck,

Thanx.

I just was a little confused as you write in your set-up instruction to set the Touch to 100% vol. lock in any case before installing your TT3.0 package.
It is not clear to me if it is required doing that even if you do not want to lock volume after installing TT3.0 (maybe it is just me who was confused...:confused:)

Cheers,
Jörn

... I installed it and it works good on my Touch with 7.7.0 firmware and SBS 7.6.1 (QNAP NAS) ...

I understand the Touch can run a higher firmware than the server version?
Last night i installed TT3.0 without any probs. Just that the touch kept wanting to upgrade. I did not upgrade. Is it better to upgrade the touch? Cannot upgrade the server yet (synology nas package not yet available).

My findings are a bit simular to yours.
Does the TT3.0 sounds good? Yes!
If you come from scratch it is a definitive improvement.
In comparison to the TT2.0... It sounds slightly different and i can say slightly better, but i can't point out the improvements.

Installation overall was fast and trouble free. I am wondering what others think of the sound quality in total and the daemon killer in particular. I also restored the infrared so my remote would work and the volume lock mod which I felt was an improvement. I definately hear a more full sound w/ improved bass but the daemon killer may have provided better transparency, but I need to listen more to be sure of the effect.

As far as the Dynobots mod is concerned :
I added it to one of my Touch last night. I listened for a while and there was a slightly veiled quality to the treble that had been much clearer and precise w/ the TT 3.0 pkg only. I don't use an external DAC so whatever changes to spdif priorities that the Dynobots mod creates would be lost on my systems.

So I decided that I would put that unit back on the TT 3.0 mods only.Going back to factory settings and reinstalling and reconfiguring the tool became a real odyssey.(Of course earlier in the day this had become a routine thing but well after midnight it it was a pita.) The laptop I was using to do the WinSCP stuff had lost its wireless connection to my home network but I didn't see that right away. It was close to 2:30 AM before I figured it out and got things working again.

Larry

Hi folks.

I btw also do have that priority discussion at the SB forum.

The dynabot mod just uses a slightly different task priority scheme.

Both approaches are pretty much redundant.

It's almost an art to "tune" the process priority scheme right at these levels.

You want to get the most efficient non blocking throughput.

I've been on that priority subject almost a year ago. During that time I didn't hear any difference between prio 40 or higher of that particular IRQ.
Though I have to admit that I left it aside since then. And a lot has been added to the Toolbox.

Just to let you know. I'm in the process of checking out the SPDIF IRQ prio thing.

For now I can say: I'd recommend to install TT3.0 only.

Both mods do interfere and might cause performance degradation.

If the SPDIF IRQ prio shift turns out to be better at a higher value I'll change it and you'll have an updated version by tomorrow afternoon. ;)

You'll also find at SB Forum TT3.0 thread a little review where TT2.0+Dynabot mods was compared to TT3.0 by a guy who was running
TT2.0+dynabot for a while. ;)

No reason to get nervous. ;) I'm sure many of you still can gain much more on the HW and network side.

However: I do think about introducing certain choices of priority schemes to choose from might be an option for the next release -- if that is still needed by then.

Enjoy. A nice weekend a to all of you.

Last edited:
Hi Klaus,
Only for the sake of constructive comment, and not for silly criticism, I submit my preliminary comments:

Like some others on the squeezebox forum, I have found that the highs sound a little bit more "digital" and the sound is a little bright and overall slanted towards the top end. I am now having a sibilance issue that I never had before. Bass seems clearer, but has less impact. I find there is more detail on some recordings, but overall the sound is more sterile and less musical.

To me, the sibilance issue points to an issue with the SPDIF output.
I notice you suggest to change the SPDIF priority to 51. Do I type this command into SSH "chrt -f -p 51 367" to achieve this?

Perhaps I am also having the wrong buffer setting? However I used 3600 with TT2.0 without issue? I'll increase it.

I'll try these experiments and report back.

FWIW, one of my favorite albums sounded amazing with TT3.0, unfortunately so far, most of everything else did not sound as I had hoped.

I'm not giving up yet, as I can hear that the potential is there, and I just need to work through the teething process.
Overall, an awesome effort, and I look forward to hearing the results of some fine tuning.

Last edited:
TT 3.0 and Spotify Premium

With Spotify Premium it is possible to stream directly to the Touch, bypassing the SBS and PC combo.

After installing TT 3.0, I am wondering if there could be an improvement by doing this? it would seem to be a way to eliminate any artifacts caused by the PC.

Any comments?

Erin: There seems to be the same tendency on SB forums.
It really needs a maiden installation of the Touch firmware to get started.

Currently many of you guys will face a 7.7.0 upgrade.
Make sure to get that done first - on the server AND the Touch.

More an more people also think to leave the SPDiF prio at my suggested value of 40 btw.

If you got more feedback/issues, please let me know.

I'm outta here for an nice indian summer afternoon (MTB) ride.
A sunny 19°C or 66.2°F mid of November pretty unsusal over here. ;)

Cheers

After few days of testing i am convinced, that TT 3.0 sounds much better than TT 2.0 + dynaudio priority mods.

The sound has more space, details, blackness between sound, 3d imaging and for me the most visible change is more live, PRAT or whatever you call it.

Maybe soundcheck like the Naim Audio sound approach and tuned SBT in this direction ?

I have SBT with 7.7 nightly, Teddy Pardo diy ps, Buffalo II DAC. SBT is connected with ethernet to a small Cisco switch dedicated only to SBS-SBT connection. SBS runs on a fast dual core Lenovo notebook with W7, SSD for OS and second 2GB USB HD for waves (yes - waves). I converted all my 30.000 files with dbPoweramp to waves. One can convert all flacs into waves with dbpoweramp in batch mode without loosing the tags

Running with buffer=3400 and without xruns even when playing 24/96 waves.

Checked different priorities of spdif, and the impact is not so big as in TT 2.0. With higher values (50-55) there was IMHO little more details and space, but the sound was leaner with less bass, so i just set spdif priority to 41 instead of 40 to have my peace of mind knowing that spdif has liitle higher priority than many other processes with 40 ...

To change the priority of spdif process, you just have to edit the /usr/bin/tt file, find the line number 226 and change the value

of PRIOIRQ47=40 to PRIOIRQ47=XX, wher XX is the value you like most.

The setting will be set after the next reboot.

If you want to set the value "on the fly", which is very comfortable for tests, than just login on your SBT and make:

chrt -f -p XX 367

367 is the PID of spdif process (at least on 7.5, 7.6 and 7.7 version)

XX is your new value (40 is a standard, you can try between 41 and ?)

With TT 2.0 some people settled with someting between 45 and 55.

The change is done immediately.

Thanks to soundcheck for his wonderfull work, a small paypal donation is on the way :D:D:D

It seems that streaming&digital music reproduction is a great Pandora box with a lot of surprises...

Maybe the next version of SBT will have a dual core ARM CPU, it will probably have a positive impact on the sound quality

Erin: There seems to be the same tendency on SB forums.
It really needs a maiden installation of the Touch firmware to get started.

Currently many of you guys will face a 7.7.0 upgrade.
Make sure to get that done first - on the server AND the Touch.

Klaus, I did all firmware upgrades before installing TT3.0
Please, please pretty please, can you provide the 2.0 instructions???

Before I used the Squeezebox I used CMP + Cplay and the same thing happened that a new version was released but it did not give me the sonic results that I wanted to I reverted to an older version. Cics makes the older versions available http://www.cicsmemoryplayer.com/index.php?n=CPlay.Download

I really would like the instructions. Even if 99% of users prefer 3.0, the 1% would benefit from the 2.0 instructions, including the 100% volume mod.
2.0 was not bad. It was awesome!

The problem I am having is a massively top end heavy sound with substantial lack of bass.
Sorry to be a whinger. I realise Im the odd man out.

Thanks
Erin

Last edited: