Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2011, 08:24 AM   #261
diyAudio Member

Great to see that you also managed.

Since a week not one serious problem on the code side. And all modified boxes seem to run pretty stable. Hughh.

FYI:
If you stream 24/96 and convert to PCM on the server.
Songinfo will still show 1411kb/s (which would be 44.1/16). It's not a feature. Your data won't be downsampled either. Logitech just won't manage to figure that rate out as it seems according to the designer.

2. The chipmonk issue seems to be existing on some stations. I need to follow that up. My mp3 radio stations are running without problems.
Old 15th January 2011, 11:55 AM   #262
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the toolbox! Installation was a piece of cake with the instruction on your website. A couple of minutes and.....done! Looking forward to a good listening session tonight.

Scanspeakman
Old 15th January 2011, 07:17 PM   #263
omc is offline omc  Canada
diyAudio Member

I made a change to my power supply that I thought I should share. I was using a high quality laboratory linear power supply to feed the squeezebox with 5V. This thing is rated at 5A, and is worth several hundred dollars. It made a very noticeable change from the stock switching PS.

I got a superteddy 5V and have it in it's own enclosure within 2 inches of the touch now. I am feeding it with 12V from the same power supply. The superteddyreg has 2 different stages of filters at the output. The configuration is now very similar to Klaus', where the cable is very short leading into the touch so as to limit the RF interference that is introduced to the system after a filter stage. Klaus was right; the difference is bigger than changing to a high quality linear power supply from the stock wall wart.
Old 15th January 2011, 09:13 PM   #264
Bimboy is offline Bimboy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello,
can I ask, are you using the Touch's digital output into a DAC?
Regards
Old 15th January 2011, 10:16 PM   #265
omc is offline omc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes, i am using coax out to a dac
Old 17th January 2011, 05:53 PM   #266
diyAudio Member

Default Squeezebox Touch + iPad

I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I'm totally new to this concept (well, not totally as I was using an airport express previously)

Here's my plan: I'm ripping all my cd's on my Dell laptop using dbPoweramp with FLAC encoding. I'm waiting for my Squeezebox Touch. I'm getting an iPad and intend to load PureMusic. I'm planning to copy all the music to the iPad and stream from IT to the Squeezebox, using the iPad (with iPeng) as the controller.

Does this work?

I read your Tool box blog. do I need to do that? Confusing.
Old 17th January 2011, 09:49 PM   #267
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDOMER View Post
I'm planning to copy all the music to the iPad and stream from IT to the Squeezebox, using the iPad (with iPeng) as the controller.

Does this work?

I read your Tool box blog. do I need to do that? Confusing.
Does your suggested setup work? No. You need a pc/mac/windows home server/nas to store your music and run the squeezeserver software. Af far as I know you can not run it on an iPad. You can use iPeng as a remote control.

Do you need the toolbox? No, its not required. Yes, you can "squeeze" an extra drop of sound quality from the squeezebox.

Scanspeakman
Old 18th January 2011, 01:14 PM   #268
diyAudio Member

Ahh, crap. Thanks for that info. Doublechecked with Logitech and you are correct. Concerned that there is too much metal in teh walls for good Wifi. Will have to hardwire the Squeezebox touch to my laptop I think.
Old 19th January 2011, 10:42 PM   #269
diyAudio Member

I've been going back and forth between the modified Touch and my Oppo DVD player which I was using as a transport. The modified Touch with digital out via a Black Cat Veloce digital cable to my dac falls short of the Oppo using the same cable and dac. The soundstage is smaller by comparison and the music is less life like. My modifications are not optimal since I've had to utilize a wireless bridge to get music to my living room( I have a 1m cat 6A cable going from the bridge to the Touch )nor have I replaced the original power supply with a high quality linear supply. Perhaps replacing the power supply will make the difference in sound quality but given the costs of these power supplies I'm hesitant to make that kind of purchase. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done a comparison between their touch and traditional transport, particularly if utilizing a wireless bridge.
Old 20th January 2011, 06:27 AM   #270
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knassiri View Post
I've been going back and forth between the modified Touch and my Oppo DVD player which I was using as a transport.
Hi knassiri,
which Oppo DVD?

Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!