Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2011, 01:50 PM   #231
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello all!

I'm using the SBT as a standalone player with an external USB 1T WD Elements HDD and working on to move all my music on it (~7K flac files). Everything is smooth so far

I have one major concern:
How can I disable the need for network if I'm using the local USB HDD only?

I'm aware that this product was not designed/intended to work without being connected to an SB server but I cannot believe that it cannot be tricked somehow when its internal server is up and running.
With a nice script, cant we do some kind of loopback to itself to trick the SB server connection?

Thanks,
Zsolt
Old 12th January 2011, 02:51 PM   #232
omc is offline omc  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you read what the mods do, you will find it is all about lowering the load on the processor. Flac conversion done on the PC, shutting down all unnecessary process such as the screen. It takes a lot of processor resources to run the external hdd.

When I first got my touch I did a straight up replacement for a classic and was quite happy with the sound quality. My intention was to use the external hdd and get rid off my aging, failing PC in my basement. When I got around to copying my music onto an external hdd I found the sound quality to be very poor. Back to the network.

It is meant to be used as you are doing, but the sound quality is very poor.
Old 12th January 2011, 04:40 PM   #233
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

I read this thread with great curiosity and I see that most of Soundcheck's mods are about lowering the CPU load by disabling different features not particularly needed.

As I wanted to replace my PC with the Touch I need the screen, the external USB and the flac decoding. I'm using it's digital output to feed my DAC so I can disable its audio out. Also by disabling the need for networking I could further reduce the load on the cpu.

Any ideeas?
Old 13th January 2011, 06:17 AM   #234
diyAudio Member

Under the OSX instructions 1.2.7 - step 3., what does the Your-Source-Dir imply? Can someone who has done this on their Mac give me an example of what I should be entering here.
Old 13th January 2011, 07:00 AM   #235
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knassiri View Post
Under the OSX instructions 1.2.7 - step 3., what does the Your-Source-Dir imply? Can someone who has done this on their Mac give me an example of what I should be entering here.
that's where you saved the downloaded toolbox file. Cheers
Old 13th January 2011, 07:16 AM   #236
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

Buffer mod (3600) applied, and as the result the sound become more "direct", "vivid" and a bit more spatious.
Before implementing the last mod - screen off - I stopped with the dilema - how to remotely control the SBT without the pilot (which is now very much convinient in my setup). Will I have to use web interface and the mouse?
Old 13th January 2011, 07:16 AM   #237
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzs View Post
I read this thread with great curiosity and I see that most of Soundcheck's mods are about lowering the CPU load by disabling different features not particularly needed.

As I wanted to replace my PC with the Touch I need the screen, the external USB and the flac decoding. I'm using it's digital output to feed my DAC so I can disable its audio out. Also by disabling the need for networking I could further reduce the load on the cpu.

Any ideeas?
(also @brgds)

Buy an iPad+iPeng! It'll hurt once. You'll never look back
That'll look and feel like "Highest End". No, no SOOLOOS required
anymore -- at a fragment of cost. iPeng won't even cost you 10$.

Operating your collection via the tiny screen I consider
a NoGo. Operating the Touch via an internet browser got
the same status from my perspective.
With an iPad that streaming solution feels like serious stuff.

I'm actually hiding my Touch in a cabinet nowadays. My stereo
greatly integrates invisible into my living room.
I'm running the Touch feeding a full digital amp on my 2nd system btw.

And as I wrote on the block. Version 2.0. on the toolbox provides
a lot of flexibility. But don't expect to get most out of that box
if you strip my proposed solution down its bones.

Cheers

Last edited by soundcheck; 13th January 2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 13th January 2011, 09:23 AM   #238
grigis is offline grigis  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi
I'm new here and want to give the Toolbox 2 a try. Thx to soundcheck for your work, it's just amazing. I tried the version 1 already before and my touch sounds just great with my pair of Piega!!!
The Problem which I have is, that I switch from Windows to MAC OSX. Is there an instruction for OSX? Also I miss a ssh programm like WinSCP or Putty for OSX...any ideas? I tried Cyberduck and Fugu...it doesn't connect with my SBTouch !!!

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 13th January 2011, 09:40 AM   #239
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigis View Post
Hi
I'm new here and want to give the Toolbox 2 a try. Thx to soundcheck for your work, it's just amazing. I tried the version 1 already before and my touch sounds just great with my pair of Piega!!!
The Problem which I have is, that I switch from Windows to MAC OSX. Is there an instruction for OSX? Also I miss a ssh programm like WinSCP or Putty for OSX...any ideas? I tried Cyberduck and Fugu...it doesn't connect with my SBTouch !!!

I'd love to get those OSX instructions done properly.
I just don't have an OSX device at hand.

Fugu not working. Hmmh. How about Transmit?

Did you try commandline ssh/scp from a terminal.
It should exactly work as described in the linux section.
I'm not sure though if ssh is installed by default on OSX.
Old 13th January 2011, 09:43 AM   #240
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigis View Post
Hi

I'd love to get those OSX instructions done properly.
I just don't have an OSX device at hand.

Fugu not working. Hmmh. How about Transmit?

Did you try commandline ssh/scp from a terminal.
It should exactly work as described in the linux section.
I'm not sure though if ssh is installed by default on OSX.

Quote:
2. ssh

Mac OS X includes its own version of the ssh command, called OpenSSH so you donít need any third-party software. The main use of this command is secure remote administration. For example, if you wish to enable Mac OS Xís built-in SSH server, you would open the System Preferences, go into Sharing and check the box beside Remote Login. But if you are away from your home base and wish to access your machine, you can use "ssh" from your Mac OS X terminal window to connect to the IP address of your Mac computer. Once connected, you can use your username and password to login your machine and access it. There are many other uses of ssh for example, you can use ssh to browse Web securely in the public areas, transfer files, execute commands, etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!