Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Those are lossy. Like mp3. They require lower bandwidth.

However. The 100MBIT setting shouldn't cause any stuttering/hickups.
There must be something else going pn.

Yes its strange!!! Let me know if you need to know what version of squeezebox server im running or any other detail that may help you find out whats causing this. Are you able to play Flac Files?

Alon

Yes its strange!!! Let me know if you need to know what version of squeezebox server im running or any other detail that may help you find out whats causing this. Are you able to play Flac Files?

Alon

7.5.4. wouldn't be a good choice.
Several people reported performance issues. A better bet would be a 7.6 Beta according to them.

Cheers

7.5.4. wouldn't be a good choice.
Several people reported performance issues. A better bet would be a 7.6 Beta according to them.

Cheers

I upgraded squeezebox server to 7.6 but this still did not solve the stuttering/hickups problem...going back into device manager and changing the network Speed and duplex settings from 100mbit Full to Auto does solve the problem. So for the now, my setting remains on Auto.

Thanks

Alon

I upgraded squeezebox server to 7.6 but this still did not solve the stuttering/hickups problem...going back into device manager and changing the network Speed and duplex settings from 100mbit Full to Auto does solve the problem. So for the now, my setting remains on Auto.

Thanks

Alon

You don't intened to give up that quickly? :D

There must be something wrong in your setup.

You might want to try a direct link with static IPs. This way you can hook up
the Touch to a server without router. You'd loose remote control via WLAN
in this case.

1. You need to reserve the IPs for your Touch and Server on your router.
This way those addresses can't be taken by other clients. Your router has to support
that of course.
2. Assign a static IP to your (Windows) server Static IP HowTo
3. Connect the Touch to the server. In Network settings you'll be asked to enter an static IP as soon as the Touch won't find a network.

Once you're finished just connect the stuff back to the router. You can leave the settings as they are.

Cheers

You don't intened to give up that quickly? :D

There must be something wrong in your setup.

You might want to try a direct link with static IPs. This way you can hook up
the Touch to a server without router. You'd loose remote control via WLAN
in this case.

1. You need to reserve the IPs for your Touch and Server on your router.
This way those addresses can't be taken by other clients. Your router has to support
that of course.
2. Assign a static IP to your (Windows) server Static IP HowTo
3. Connect the Touch to the server. In Network settings you'll be asked to enter an static IP as soon as the Touch won't find a network.

Once you're finished just connect the stuff back to the router. You can leave the settings as they are.

Cheers

Nope don't intend to give up ;)

I currently have my squeezebox server on my laptop with xp, reserved at 192.168.02, my Touch is reserved at 192.168.0.4 and my NAS is reserved at 192.168.07 All static connections, and all connected with cat5 cable. The router is close to my NAS and Touch, a little further away(other side of room) is my computer. I use Ipeng on my iphone 4 as controller.

Any other idea's as to what might be causing the stutter?

Alon

Hi folks.

I added a new blog about resampling.

Might be a nice little project to check out for some of you. It shouldn't be too difficult. The base setup should be done
in 5 minutes.

There is some potential to improve your situation with those settings. It can also get worse.
No promises made from my side. There are too many parameters in the game.

Let me know if anything is unclear or if I got some bugs in the description.

Would also be nice to hear about your experiences.

Enjoy.

I first tried Variant 2 but quickly moved to Variant 3 and I want to swtch back to non-oversampling to be sure.
My initial reaction is that I'm getting much improved treble. Cymbals are clean, no fuzz and female voices are less colored.
Overall, despite the fact that there is more processing going on, the feel is less mechanical and more musical. Timbre feels more convincing. I may feel differently after I remove the oversampling but so far so good.
Thanks Klaus for adding instructions for Windows.
Larry

Larry.

Thx for the feedback. Good to see that it works on W7 systems.

You should compare

1. V1 vs. V2. That'll compare the different type of filter settings I vs. L
2. V1 vs. V3. Here you'd see what kind of impact the attenuation (-v) as clipping protection is causing. Filter=I remains constant.

If you compare V2 with V3 you change two parameters at the same time.
That should be avoided.

There are two more interesting tests to run:

1. "-a" in/out
2. 96000/88200

Cheers

I removed custom-convert.conf. and am sending my music as PCM again from the server. In short, after listening w/o resampling engaged, I must have been nuts to hear improvements w/ it. None of the resampling schemes sounds better to me.

Larry

I'd agree with you.

I never really liked the whole digital filtering (incl. convolution).
The better the system gets IMO the more you'll experience the associated filtering flaws.

Still, I don't want to give up on it that quickly. ;)

Another try would be to resample some files offline to avoid that flac conversion on the Touch, which proved to be a problem on its own.

Direct SPDIF

Hello,

the weather is not exactly right for indoor soldering, but what the heck ;) As my next project, I am thinking about following Soundcheck's recommendation for a direct soldered SPDIF Out link.

Now, for aesthetic and flexibility reasons, I do not want to fix the cable in there, but use a WBT 75 Ohm connector.

Two questions, however:
* I have never opened my SBT before, just seen the pictures and instructions on here. Is it straightforward to figure out where to connect the 2 pins?
* Is there a lot of science to the choice of the internal cable, its length and so on when going from the board to my new WBT RCA socket? Or do I just take a decent wire and solder it all together?

Thanks,

Thomas

P.S. I am still ex-treme-ly happy with the digital pulse transformer mod I applied according to Klaus' instructions. I have now directly soldered this to the input of my DAC, to even greater effect in terms of clarity. Highly recommended.

Hello

There a number of posts here about replacing the switched PSU for a traditional tranformer/reg type. Is this really worth it ?

Having just done exactly that with a parts box special based on an encapsulated PSU module - the answer is an unequivocal yes, much clearer sound with better stereo 'effect'.

If you are thinking about it - do it, I am sure it will be worth it.

Graham

Hello

There a number of posts here about replacing the switched PSU for a traditional tranformer/reg type. Is this really worth it ?

Having just done exactly that with a parts box special based on an encapsulated PSU module - the answer is an unequivocal yes, much clearer sound with better stereo 'effect'.

If you are thinking about it - do it, I am sure it will be worth it.

Graham
Are you using the analog line out or the digital output?
Is it worth replacing the switched PSU if I'm using SPDIF only?
Thanks!