Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Sorry, keep saying N Band, you corrected me on this: N protocol:) I mean
Actually, you seem to mean 5GHz band

Running at 5GHz may improve your reception - yes there are less devices operating in that band and so less noise. But 5GHz will make no difference otherwise to your audio streaming - it can achieve higher performance than 2.4GHz Wireless-N, but 2.4GHz is hardly lacking for performance when it comes to audio streaming even with Hi-Res sources.

Provided reception is good Wireless-N at 5 or 2.4GHz will stream your audio faultlessly (as would basic, but older, Wireless-G which also runs @ 2.4GHz)

Today my squeezebox updated itself to FW 7.5.3-r9377 due to the fact that I installed a new computer and new squeezebox server and forgot to turn off the updates.

I had to reinstall all of the toolbox. I think everything works EXCEPT the ttbuffer.
This returns the error : unmatched "/" like the previous poster noted.

Anyone know solution other than restoring original factory settings?

Hi,
I had the same experience with the buffer mod. when my SBT updated to latest firmware - it did not work to install it. Can this automatic update of the player be avoided somehow?

Than I had another problem with connectivity to WLAN. I could not connect the player to my WLAN anymore. After a reset it first updated to an older version (7.5.1...) and it worked again. Now I am afraid updating to latest version will lead to the same problem again..
(I use a QNAP. Possible that the update of the player SW does not correspond to latest server SW available for QNAP SBS plug in?).

Jörn

Things might end up being inconsistent after an update.

You guys got to do a factory reset and another setup round incl. toolbox install.

To avoid surprises:
On the server under "Settings/Advanced/Software updates" check "Don't check for updates".

I don't want to mention that it's all described on the blog btw. rolleyes: )

I'd say the next update of interest is gonna be 7.6. Let see if that will ever be released. ;)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hi Soundcheck,
I already applied this setting to the server. But as you say it is a server setting and not a player setting. When I switch on the player it automatically jumps into the update mode for player software and no chance to escape (only unplugging from internet maybe).
What am I doing wrong (dispite of still using WLAN)? Do I have to cancel Internet connectivity completely (NAS -> Switch -> SBT without any router connected to Internet)?

BTW: After having installed toolbox and than updating to latest player firmware (I know this is wrong order..) at least my WLAN works again. I had to re-install toolbox2.0 again to get the function of ttstat going. The only toolbox setting which was kept of the setup before updating player SW was the output mod. - jive2 is disabled and it shows something of wrong Hz frequency (94).

According to the Squeezebox Community forum, the latest SW upgrade is to 7.5.4 which I did this past weekend including the update to the acompanying firmware on my modded Touches(2). In order to get the firmware installed it was necessary to push the button and return to factory settings and then reinstall the TouchToolbox2.0 (the screen mod would have precluded being able to actuate remote login.)
The lowest buffer setting that wouldn't cause crackling was to 4700. All the rest of the mods including the volume mod worked w/o incident. Remember I have two systems and the Touch in each behaved similarly.
In these 7.5.4 setups the playback quality I heard w/ my ears was also similarly affected. The somewhat harder treble in early ripped CDs (jazz from the bebop era mostly) was noticeably less strident and smoother. The bass was also affected in that it was more elongated and had more bloom, not always a good thing. The mids , especially the presence region, were more refined and and hence less mecanical sounding.
All in all, an acceptable trade-off. I am enjoying this sound.

Larry.

That doesn't look good to me.

They must have built in some other stuff (usually called "small bugfixes" which makes the box less efficient.

Interesting to see that the 7.5.4. changelog doesn't mention anything into that direction..

I try to skip all those minor updates. Usually these are useless anyhow.

Turn off automatic updates on the server and avoid accessing mysqueezebox.com.

Cheers

Klaus:
I updated the server and the Touches to 7.6 fw and the server stopped working midway through. I ended up removing Squeezebox Server from that hardware and reinstalling it on another laptop w/ a bad screen. I used VNC to see what I was doing and plugged the storage drive into it. It took a bit of time and the processor is a bit slower on the new box but it sounds terrific. The buffer is fine @4000.
After waiting for the damn stuff to work again, I was really stunned all over again by how good this thing sounds.

Klaus:
I updated the server and the Touches to 7.6 fw and the server stopped working midway through. I ended up removing Squeezebox Server from that hardware and reinstalling it on another laptop w/ a bad screen. I used VNC to see what I was doing and plugged the storage drive into it. It took a bit of time and the processor is a bit slower on the new box but it sounds terrific. The buffer is fine @4000.
After waiting for the damn stuff to work again, I was really stunned all over again by how good this thing sounds.

Ok. I see. That 7.5.4 update was bugging you. ;)

Do you experience improvements on 7.6 vs. 7.5.3? ( Lets take 7.5.4 out of equation). I 'm also tempted to swicth. However. In the past those pre-releases were really buggy and instable.

I read somewhere that the ethernet traffic handling was improved on 7.6.. Usually that should have an impact.

Did you check out volume lock at 100% on 7.6? That feature should have gone into to the code somewhere. ( They should have improved that 100% slider setting instead)

Cheers

When I started to have trouble getting 7.6 to work properly I almost went back to 7.5.4
It wouldn't connect remotely on port 9000, but it was running in services. I reinstalled it on the original pc, then the Touches wouldn't connect to that local SBS, only to mysqueezebox.com and again no port 9000 connection. Thats when I removed SBS altogether and rebooted the pc. Did a fresh install of 7.6 and it all seemed to be working fine but I had an older laptop sitting around w/ a broken screen but it still boots OK so to be certain it wasn't a hardware problem, I put that laptop where the SBS was and plugged in the storage drives and installed 7.6
When installing the touchtoolbar2.0 I usually let music play so that I can hear how the mods are working. I did notice that the slider started out loud enough that I didn't need to raise it as per usual while configuring. After I was finished w/ toolbar config on the bedroom Touch, I noted that the slider was still functional, I'm sure that I did the volume mod but I did it again and it seems fine now. My copy of WinSCP has both addresses (name) on its face and I assume I just did the volume mod on the other Touch not that the volume mod didn't take.
I use the analog outputs from both my Touches but with hardware mods done.
(Bolder Cables-The mods start out with improving power supply delivery and decoupling to the DAC chip. We then remove the electrolytic coupling capacitor from the analog signal path. )
I have a SS amp (Dayens Ampino) in one system and a single ended pentode amp (Decare Zen) in the other and neither of these are warm colored sound units. Generally speaking, great clarity and an ability to reveal inner detail is what these amps are best at. However, on certain recordings, this revealing nature can be a bit much.

I discovered that I must have done the volume mod twice on one system as I noticed that the slider on that system also still functioned. So the second install cancelled the mod. I restored it.
My remarks above can be interpreted as negative but I think it goes to transparency of the Touch. ( I also mispelled Decware)

Wow!

Newava S22083
or
Newava S22160

Usually available at Digikey.

Thanks again for the recommendation. I finally got around to putting the pulse transformer between my SBT and the rDAC (which, from what I seem to understand, is direct-coupled). Find this an extremely worthwile tweak. I used to have a problem with the whole audio spectrum tilted towards treble ... with the transformer in, this has all but disappeared. Great.

Thanks again for the recommendation. I finally got around to putting the pulse transformer between my SBT and the rDAC (which, from what I seem to understand, is direct-coupled). Find this an extremely worthwile tweak. I used to have a problem with the whole audio spectrum tilted towards treble ... with the transformer in, this has all but disappeared. Great.

Good to see that you managed.

I really love those 5$ mods. :D

I can tell you, that soldering one cable-end directly to the Touch mainboard, will cause a similar improvement.

Hi folks.

A little weekend exercise for you.

I added chapter 1.9 to the blog. It's a little chapter about network optimization
on the server side. Just some software configurations. You should get it managed in 5 minutes.

I'd appreciate if you'd try it and let us know what you think.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Hi Klaus,

I did this over the weekend, but face a few problems with it...any files that i have ripped using EAC or Foobar2000 (Flac) do not play continuously. They play for about 5 seconds then there is a 5 second pause then it resumes for 5seconds and this continues for the whole song. Songs i have purchaced from Itunes or downloaded off the net play perfectly. At the moment without hearing my ripped flac files its hard to tell if there is an improvement in sound, although saying this my initial feeling is that there is an improvement.

Any idea's as to why the ripped files are not playing now?

Alon

Hi Klaus,

I did this over the weekend, but face a few problems with it...any files that i have ripped using EAC or Foobar2000 (Flac) do not play continuously. They play for about 5 seconds then there is a 5 second pause then it resumes for 5seconds and this continues for the whole song. Songs i have purchaced from Itunes or downloaded off the net play perfectly. At the moment without hearing my ripped flac files its hard to tell if there is an improvement in sound, although saying this my initial feeling is that there is an improvement.

Any idea's as to why the ripped files are not playing now?

Alon

Are those iTunes files Apple lossless?