Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2010, 02:30 PM   #131
omc is offline omc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Some observations I have had with 24/96 vs redbook on the touch:

I have mentioned before that I have had bad results streaming PCM 24/96 though my LAN to the touch. It sounds horrible. I know someone has traced out the code and it appears to be done right, but it ain't. It sounds very muted, like a poor mp3. This only happens on more challenging music (Coltrane's greensleeves from Africa brass for example). Funny though, I don't get the same results from the free downloaded hdtracks samplers. I can put flac back as native and restart the touch from the web based GUI on my laptop, and it is back to where it should be.

The thing is, that it isn't nearly as good as redbook on the modded touch. With the mods in place the music flows and shows more complexity. When I used to run Naim gear we called this pace, rhythm and timing. If I so much as stream flac as native the sound stage constricts to a hard focus and the music losses it's emotion.

So for now I am leaving PCM as native unless I want to listen to some 24/96, where I set flac as native.

IMO the touch makes a darned good redbook transport, but isn't good at 24/96.
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:57 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

Yep. I figured that out earlier. I think I also mentioned it.

24/96 is of course causing substantial more load on the receiver if sent as a PCM stream.
With the mods installed the buffers might have to be increased. You really need to find the right balance.

Nice would be if we could define a different rule for 24/96 flacs in /etc/convert.conf. This way 44/16 could be sent as PCM and 24/96 as flac.

Did you try 24/96 as flac without mods in place?

I do recall a message that Logitech has worked on a Hirez-Flac performance issue recently. They seem to have identified an
issue there. Not sure if it is solved by now.

It's a bit confusing that you experience different results on different Hirez files.
Old 22nd December 2010, 04:47 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Hi soundcheck,

I'm new here, but tried your mods before you stopped your blog. Fantastic work. I really appreciate it.

I really hope you straighten your things out and I would look forward to read about the newer mods.

But thanks so far and happy christmas.

Stefan :-)
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:09 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

I have tried high res flac with out the mods. It isn't as alive as simple 44.1 with the mods I have in place. I can make the modded player work fairly well by simply making flac native for the session, again it isn't as good as the modded player with 44.1. I am going to try a newer router to see if it helps, mines not junk but it may help.

I haven't gotten my greasy little hands on your buffer mod or the screen mod. I have to say I am dying to try them.
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:55 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but this is what squeezeserver lists as properies.

Coltrane Bitrate: 2859kbps VBR

Lucia from hdtracks sample Bitrate: 2701kbps VBR

This is despite the samples being a true 96/24.
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:02 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Soundcheck scripts are no more available online. Very nice.

I have the rcs.local, alsa.conf for digital and analogue and buffer script. Unfortunately i don't have the "screen off" script.

Can anybody send me the "scrren off" script&readme for it ? Thanks.

Somebody knows some other good sw mods ?

Cheers,
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:11 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

I found the "screen" script on one of my notebooks
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:48 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc View Post
I have tried high res flac with out the mods. It isn't as alive as simple 44.1 with the mods I have in place. I can make the modded player work fairly well by simply making flac native for the session, again it isn't as good as the modded player with 44.1. I am going to try a newer router to see if it helps, mines not junk but it may help.
As a matter of fact the network requires quite some attention.

The router and setup can make a difference even the PS of the router can make a difference. The networking parameters can make a difference.
Not to forget cabling and grounding.

I think grounding is an area to have a closer look at. Professional networks are all properly grounded. I havn't seen a private network following typical industrial grounding rules.

If you buy ethernet cables. Buy quality >cat6 >500MHZ cables. Poor cabling is causing more load and distortions on a network. You need to cover not only the router-touch route!

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:33 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

I am going to rewire my LAN with cat6. I was just reading that cat5 doesn't properly support 100Base-T or gigabit Ethernet, and belkin claims an improvement on return loss in most current networks by 40 percent. Luckily I don't have much on my LAN. Unfortunately it looks like I might have to go mail order to get it.

I'll post my results
Old 24th December 2010, 06:07 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Since it appears that Soundcheck/Klaus will not be reposting the very helpful
scripts and instructions, at least in my lifetime, would somebody please supply the "screen off" and so called "buffer" mod instructions.
I have the rest of the mods and a linear, regulated ps on both my Touches and they are connected via Cat6. I'm not planning on selling anything, BTW.
I'm sending all music as PCM, including 24/96 flac downloads to the Touch and I don't hear a dropoff in sound quality nor do I notice a great improvement over Red Book rips either. I emailed John Swenson and he told me to ignore that 1411 kbps playback as it is only associated w/ lossy formats like MP3.
Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Hide this!Advertise here!