Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Hello,
people spend a lot of money on power conditioners in order to clean up the power supply to their hi-fi systems.
It would seem crazy to me to deliberately 'pollute' your mains with HF 'noise' by running your data through the mains. I think you could be eliminating the benefits gained from Soundcheck's Toolbox 2. (thanks again Soundcheck for sharing the results of your hard work).

I have the same problem, but I think the better way to solve it is with a second router at the Squeezebox Touch end, which will act as a wireless bridge to allow a ethernet connection from router to touch. I have found a cheap router that has bridging capability to my existing Linksys router running DD-WRT.
Cheers.

I have the same problem, but I think the better way to solve it is with a second router at the Squeezebox Touch end, which will act as a wireless bridge to allow a ethernet connection from router to touch. I have found a cheap router that has bridging capability to my existing Linksys router running DD-WRT.
Cheers.

I'd 100% agree with you.

Though I'm personally running 100% on batteries (amp/dac/touch) I'm not really affected anymore with mains pollution. ;)

Hello,

Cheers.

Yes - that could also work and perhaps it is a better solution. I'm just trying to find alternatives to wired Ethernet ....

Yes - that could also work and perhaps it is a better solution. I'm just trying to find alternatives to wired Ethernet ....

I'd recommend to try a wired temporary installation first to get a reference.
I had a free hanging cable running in the house for a couple of weeks.
(My wife was kind of disliking it. ;) )

I do have the feeling that this bridging which also implies a kind of signal refreshing as well as my proposed D-Link hub ( incl improved PS) in front of the touch could do the trick.

Good to have more people on board to figure out all those network options. :D That's a jungle on its own.

BTW: Anybody around who's able to attach a "fad", clean, low R ground to the network.

One more comment to the cabling:
CAT6A (=<500MHZ) will come with better shielding and very important usually better plugs. ( NOTE: there is CAT6 stuff out there with lower case a. The official standard comes with an upper case A!!!)
CAT6 (=<250MHZ) is supposed to be used for multimedia networks etc.
CAT5 (=<100MHZ) is supposed to handle even GBIT Lan.

I've read an ethernet cable test a while ago which showed that some of those tested CAT5 cables where not even able to run 100MBIT/s.

@OMC: I think I havn't said that CAT6A sounds better then CAT5. ;)
It'll for sure put you on the save side in terms of network stability if you go
for better stuff. Those better cables won't cost you an arm and a leg.
I just swapped all my old stuff out without thinking about it.

I'd still like to figure out why some people are able to run a 3600us
buffer and others 4000us. Network load conditions or server issues!?!?,
if we assume the Touch runs the same configuration.

The Pandora issue: Pandora streaming is causing extra load on the net and on the server first of all. So what's causing the need for a higher buffer
of a couple of us. We got several seconds of data stored on the Touch.
BTW what data format is Pandora stream? Could it be that it is converted to PCM on the Touch and not on the server - see convert.conf?

Cheers

When talking about ethernet side what do you think about not using the router at all, by simply connecting SBT directly to the PC with a short 1m patch, to achieve the least problematic solution and to avoid router and its potentially noisy PSU ?

Tried that.

I've been running my Thinkpad as SB, DHCP and WLAN server. Didn't work
out that well. And it caused a hell lot of work to get it all going. Just give it
a try, just configuring a DHCP server or working with static IPs shouldn't be a big deal. Let us know what you think.

Hello all!

I'm using the SBT as a standalone player with an external USB 1T WD Elements HDD and working on to move all my music on it (~7K flac files). Everything is smooth so far :)

I have one major concern:
How can I disable the need for network if I'm using the local USB HDD only?

I'm aware that this product was not designed/intended to work without being connected to an SB server but I cannot believe that it cannot be tricked somehow when its internal server is up and running.
With a nice script, cant we do some kind of loopback to itself to trick the SB server connection?

Thanks,
Zsolt

If you read what the mods do, you will find it is all about lowering the load on the processor. Flac conversion done on the PC, shutting down all unnecessary process such as the screen. It takes a lot of processor resources to run the external hdd.

When I first got my touch I did a straight up replacement for a classic and was quite happy with the sound quality. My intention was to use the external hdd and get rid off my aging, failing PC in my basement. When I got around to copying my music onto an external hdd I found the sound quality to be very poor. Back to the network.

It is meant to be used as you are doing, but the sound quality is very poor.

I read this thread with great curiosity and I see that most of Soundcheck's mods are about lowering the CPU load by disabling different features not particularly needed.

As I wanted to replace my PC with the Touch I need the screen, the external USB and the flac decoding. I'm using it's digital output to feed my DAC so I can disable its audio out. Also by disabling the need for networking I could further reduce the load on the cpu.

Any ideeas?

Buffer mod (3600) applied, and as the result the sound become more "direct", "vivid" and a bit more spatious.
Before implementing the last mod - screen off - I stopped with the dilema - how to remotely control the SBT without the pilot (which is now very much convinient in my setup). Will I have to use web interface and the mouse?

I read this thread with great curiosity and I see that most of Soundcheck's mods are about lowering the CPU load by disabling different features not particularly needed.

As I wanted to replace my PC with the Touch I need the screen, the external USB and the flac decoding. I'm using it's digital output to feed my DAC so I can disable its audio out. Also by disabling the need for networking I could further reduce the load on the cpu.

Any ideeas?

(also @brgds)

Buy an iPad+iPeng! It'll hurt once. You'll never look back ;)
That'll look and feel like "Highest End". No, no SOOLOOS required
anymore -- at a fragment of cost. iPeng won't even cost you 10$.

Operating your collection via the tiny screen I consider
a NoGo. Operating the Touch via an internet browser got
the same status from my perspective.
With an iPad that streaming solution feels like serious stuff.

I'm actually hiding my Touch in a cabinet nowadays. My stereo
greatly integrates invisible into my living room.
I'm running the Touch feeding a full digital amp on my 2nd system btw.

And as I wrote on the block. Version 2.0. on the toolbox provides
a lot of flexibility. But don't expect to get most out of that box
if you strip my proposed solution down its bones.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi
I'm new here and want to give the Toolbox 2 a try. Thx to soundcheck for your work, it's just amazing. I tried the version 1 already before and my touch sounds just great with my pair of Piega!!!
The Problem which I have is, that I switch from Windows to MAC OSX. Is there an instruction for OSX? Also I miss a ssh programm like WinSCP or Putty for OSX...any ideas? I tried Cyberduck and Fugu...it doesn't connect with my SBTouch :(!!!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi
I'm new here and want to give the Toolbox 2 a try. Thx to soundcheck for your work, it's just amazing. I tried the version 1 already before and my touch sounds just great with my pair of Piega!!!
The Problem which I have is, that I switch from Windows to MAC OSX. Is there an instruction for OSX? Also I miss a ssh programm like WinSCP or Putty for OSX...any ideas? I tried Cyberduck and Fugu...it doesn't connect with my SBTouch :(!!!

I'd love to get those OSX instructions done properly.
I just don't have an OSX device at hand.

Fugu not working. Hmmh. How about Transmit?

Did you try commandline ssh/scp from a terminal.
It should exactly work as described in the linux section.
I'm not sure though if ssh is installed by default on OSX.

Hi

I'd love to get those OSX instructions done properly.
I just don't have an OSX device at hand.

Fugu not working. Hmmh. How about Transmit?

Did you try commandline ssh/scp from a terminal.
It should exactly work as described in the linux section.
I'm not sure though if ssh is installed by default on OSX.

2. ssh

Mac OS X includes its own version of the ssh command, called OpenSSH so you don’t need any third-party software. The main use of this command is secure remote administration. For example, if you wish to enable Mac OS X’s built-in SSH server, you would open the System Preferences, go into Sharing and check the box beside Remote Login. But if you are away from your home base and wish to access your machine, you can use "ssh" from your Mac OS X terminal window to connect to the IP address of your Mac computer. Once connected, you can use your username and password to login your machine and access it. There are many other uses of ssh for example, you can use ssh to browse Web securely in the public areas, transfer files, execute commands, etc.