Will TI Rescue DIY HD-Audio from Intel's HDMI/HDCP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm pretty disgusted with the whole conspired HDMI/ HDCP-- Intel/MS 'control-freak' view of what the future of digital source HD multi-channel audio should be for the masses.....including us; the DIY community. How about you ? :h_ache:

But that's not my point........A ray hope might just of come from Texas Instruments first 'Pure Path Wireless Audio' member ....CC8520.
...Interesting 'Bypass via streaming'
TI doesn't much care for Intel and ole' Bill doesn't have them in his pocket.....Bet the DRM boys didn't lobby much in Dallas...

Points of interest:

• Built-in audio protocol
    • CD-quality uncompressed audio
    • Excellent robustness and co-existence through multiple techniques
      • Adaptive Frequency Hopping
      • Forward Error Correction
      • Buffering and Retransmission
      • Error Concealment
      • Optional high quality audio compression
  • External system
    • Seamless connection and control of selected TI audio codecs,
      DACs/ADCs and digital audio amplifiers using I2S and I2C
    • HID functions like power control, binding, volume control,
      audio channel selection can be mapped to I/Os
Digital audio support
  • Digital I2S audio interface supports 1 or 2 audio channels
    at sample rates of 32, 40.275, 44.1 and 48 kHz, and supports
    16 bit word-widths
I may be overly optimistic; I'm not digital guru, but it seems impressive for an initial release:

2.4 GHz Wireless Audio ? RF Transceiver IC - TI.com

Charles

Joined 2007
Paid Member
There are so many technological solutions to the HDCP problem that it dosen't seem like a real issue unless one is obsesive with following the rules of an entertainment company. Or likes purchasing films in plastic disk format and wants to play them straight away.

It doesn't really compete with HDMI, since it's just 2 channel (and maybe DD/DTS lossy multichannel). It'll be great for wireless surround speakers, house and garden speakers, and wireless headphones, though. HID functions mean you could change channels or tracks remotely. It could potentially hook up to any music storage (iPod, media server, car changer or computer).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.