Help: Difference in sound from o/p ports of Xonar DX - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2010, 05:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help: Difference in sound from o/p ports of Xonar DX

Hi,

My Setup
I am playing music via latest foobar and have routed the audio to all ports by using the DIRECT option. Please see the attached image. I have also disabled all the effects on the Xonar driver (with the help of the Xonar GUI). The xonar sound card is configured as 7.1 and foobar was configured with 6 channels (even tried 8 channels). The Xonar drivers are latest too.

Problem
I get difference in sound when I use front ports of Xonar DX vs other ports (eg Surround).
The bass on the front ports is fuller while the other ports are lacking the bass. The character of sound is quite different.

Expectation
I expect the same sound to come on all ports but I dont
Can someone help me figure out the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Goldy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen2.JPG (28.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 5th June 2010, 12:23 AM   #2
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

The channels of Xonar DX are not built equal - CS4398 for front, CS4362A for the rest.
Old 5th June 2010, 11:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks wwenze for the quick reply.
Initially I too thought so.
But I did some trials with foobar/crossover plugin where I sent highs above 3500hz to all the ports, I realised the highs were clean on the front ports but they were too bad on the rest of the ports. This is when I decided to seek help from the forum. The difference is too much to be attributed to the DACs.

If it was just the difference in DAC, I am sure I would not have noticed. I can hardly tell the difference betwen good MP3 and the corresponding WAV.

Hide this!Advertise here!